Seaplane keep moving forward when Idle

Hey,

I'm not a Seaplane Expert, but I can't make the plane to stay stationnary, I set engines to idle and on feather, but it still go forward until I shut down the engines.

is it normal? or a MSFS/SDK limitation?

Thanks!

Regards,

SkyLane

I believe it's a MSFS issue. I just recently tried the Toolbar Pushback mod which actually works a treat at keeping the aircraft still during start up buy pressing "hold". Then you can pretend to be pushed off the dock by using either the forward or reverse options or simply cancel pushback and use the engines. I know from my brief testing it can work with the amphibious version in the water, but my quick test of a floats version was not working.

Toolbar Pushback » Microsoft Flight Simulator

MOve the Power levers into Beta range.

Note most Twin Otters with Floats or amphibian has so called startlocks installed.

Normally when stopping the Engines, the Propeller blades will move into feathered position.

The problem with Float and Amphibious aircraft is, that when starting the Engines, the Propeller unfeathers and cause them to surge the Aircraft forward - You don´t have any parking brake :)

With Startlocks installed, You moVe the Power levers into Beta range before shutting down.

When shut down, the Startlocks prevent the Propeller blades to move and they stay in full flat position.

So the next time You start the Engines, the Propeller do not produce any thrust.

This was simulated on the Twin Otter Extended, but I´m unsure whether this has been implementet on the MSFS2020 version.

Yeah Mathijs - but Floats and Amphibian has Startlocks installed that prevents the Propellers to Feather when shut down.

Here is a Wheeled version with Feathered Props:

Please login to display this image.

And here a Float version with Startlocks engaged:

Thanks for your replies!

@Finn I have the TCA Throttle comming in a few days, it will easy the ground maneuvering, hopefully will be easier to get in BetaRange on the ground to stay immobiles.

@Maty743 I have toolbad, lovely addon: but as you said, it don't work with the Float versions...

I wish someday someone could make a third party Seaplane companion (simulating Linking to docks with ropes, power supply at dock, ground handing etc) would be easier for TMA ops with all the Docks around Maldives.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Skylane, did you try to pull backwards the prop levers in the cockpit with your mouse, so they get pulled in feathered mode?

This helped a lot with me, especially when you turn into the wind.

Hey Eric, Yes, the are is Full Backward. I am also into the wind (calm wind tho)

Maybe it had to do with the Throttle lefer too? waiting for the TCA throttle maybe I will have more control on the thrust?

One more thing, Taxiing with wind is Impossibles, we can't maneuver the plane.. any suggestion? asymetrical thrust maybe? (so TCA throttle will help)

I use FSUIPC for my Engine Levers.

Doing so, I can set ithe Power levers to both cover the normal range as well as the revers range and thus set the Propellers into what is regarded as the Beta range i.e no forward or reverse thrsut.

Also my Prop levers cover the entire range from full fin back to feathered position.

I´m sure You can do the same with the TCA throttle.

1 minute ago, Finn said:

I use FSUIPC for my Engine Levers.

Doing so, I can set ithe Power levers to both cover the normal range as well as the revers range and thus set the Propellers into what is regarded as the Beta range i.e no forward or reverse thrsut.

Also my Prop levers cover the entire range from full fin back to feathered position.

I´m sure You can do the same with the TCA throttle.

Hey Finn, thanks for the infos, can we keep this thread Open until I get the TCA? so I come back with it and we can set up the throttle profile for the TwOtter, if not, I can always open a new Thread, but I rather use the same to not "pollute" the forum ;)

As of now, I can't change things yet.

Regards, SkyLane

• Developer

Let me explain from my experience and observations. A Twotter with engines running in idle will produce forward thrust from the propeller as it has 10 degrees blade forward position. With this the plane will start to float forward. You will see on floatplane videos that always a rope is tying the float to the pontoon to avoid drifting away.

in float operation, you can reduce that forward movement by using the so called beta range which are the blade angles less then 10 degrees to minus max 15 degrees for reverse operation, all with idle power. You will be able to find that middle point where the props are not generating any thrust.

You can do this by using F2 or you set up your hardware throttles covering the full range. If you have a high resolution throttle you find an axis selection in MSFS called throttle axis (0-100%) which is irritating from the name as in reality it gives you +100% to -100% throttle movement covering the whole range from max forward to maximum reverse. In the mid section you can maneuver the float version like you may have seen on videos about the Twotter seaplane.

Basicly the start locks do the same as keeping the propeller blades  in the beta range.

The problem with the PT6 engines and propellers without start locks, is that when the engines are shut down, the propellers feathers.

During the startup, the propellers unfeathers and thus moves from feathered position, through the course  (low rpm) range to full fine, but still not in the beta range.

During this the propellers produces forward thrust.

The start locks prevents the propeller blades to feather during engine shutdown and actually keeps them in the beta range, where they don´t produce any thrust.

To set the start locks, the power levers will be moved into beta range before shutting the engines down with the condition lever.

To unlock the start locksm the power lver has to be moved into beta range after engine start, otherwise the engines will simply speed up without producing thrust when the power levers are moved forward.

The start locks does not need to be engaged if the float / amphibian is moored, therefore You can find vidoes of Twin Otter float planes where the startlocks not has been engaged.

I guess it´s better to start a free turbine with the propellers feathered, since the spin up of the propeller will be slower dur to the mucj higher drag of the feathered propeller.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I just recieced my TCA Throttle today, I'l trying to configure it for the FBW A320 first, then I will take care of the TwOtter!

About FSUIPC, I guess I would need the Paid version? I meant, shouln't it work with the default MSFS ENG1 & ENG2 axis for each lever?

I think a new "kind of a" beta-function (beta button on annunciator panel does not flash) has been implemented since version 1.0.2. You can hear the sound an see the propeller speed decreasing now.

I didn't try that with a float version but that should work like a start lock or minimum improve the situation. I will check that out...

Archived