While waiting for the Twin Otter Soundpatch.

50 minutes ago, Eric Bakker said:

Currently the Twin Otter team is working hard on improving the sound set. You can also wait for the update (that will not take very long, as a lot of progress has been made) and see if you like it, before you spend money on this.

any estimated release date for the new sounds?

32 minutes ago, Payt Laros said:

Thanks Eric, It's so encouraging to hear that you guys are hard at work on the sounds :)

I suppose it's no fun for a teamto have been working hard on a plane for what..over a year? You build up the hype, and all the testers, pilots and reviewers seem enthusiastic about it (with a few caveats), and then finally the day comes where you release your baby to the big world..and then it's a bit of a disappointment.. I can only imagine how that feels.

Anyway really lookijg forward to the Aerosoft update then .. can't wait to hear what you guys managed to accomplish!

It's even less fun to splash out a large pile of money on a product that is clearly broken that should have been delayed. But worse than that is the developers making content creators lie by saying the sound would be fixed on release. Yes, they must be feeling down, but at the end of the day this is a paid product and their job. In any other job if you failed to delver a product and fixing issues you stated you would the client would be well within their rights to ask for a refund. But in this weird world of flight sims we just have to cross our fingers and hope we'll have the product we paid for in a few months.

21 minutes ago, Maty743 said:

It's even less fun to splash out a large pile of money on a product that is clearly broken that should have been delayed. But worse than that is the developers making content creators lie by saying the sound would be fixed on release. Yes, they must be feeling down, but at the end of the day this is a paid product and their job. In any other job if you failed to delver a product and fixing issues you stated you would the client would be well within their rights to ask for a refund. But in this weird world of flight sims we just have to cross our fingers and hope we'll have the product we paid for in a few months.

That of course is the other side of the coin. I have been looking forward to the Otter since it was aanounced, and to find that in this case the sound is as bad as it is was a big disappointment for me as well. I still wonder how it got released in it's current state. I'm sure people must've noticed something wrong with the engine sounds, but maybe they were just told that t it's still a WIP, like most of the reviewers were told. Anyway I hope the upcoming patch fixes that.

11 hours ago, zaki87 said:

As I told, I really like the plane. But the Sound of Version 1.0 , was a disappointment.

I really had nothing to do with all this Sound Stuff before, was reading about Wwise and the old Legacy Sound Configs.

Was testing around, converted the Wwise into mp3´s to get a Idea of all the 300 Sounds out of the Soundbank. The Sounds are awesome and well recorded, so It was or is just a thing how they work together in the Wwise Config.

So I did a small Mod of using the Wwise Sounds and also Twotter Legacy Sounds.

It´s not perfect, I´m not a Dev. But here we have a improvement of RPM Stages and Turbine Stages . Did a small demo, no proceeds just focus on Sound.

Hope that we will have some kind like this soon.

Yeah...this is first class....SURELY Aerosoft can replicate ALL stages of thrust/RPM selection and mirror these sounds verbatim.......If it can be done to the standard you've made here in such a short time, there should be no barrier to implementing an almost perfect sound set.  SURELY!!!

7 hours ago, Payt Laros said:

That of course is the other side of the coin. I have been looking forward to the Otter since it was aanounced, and to find that in this case the sound is as bad as it is was a big disappointment for me as well. I still wonder how it got released in it's current state. I'm sure people must've noticed something wrong with the engine sounds, but maybe they were just told that t it's still a WIP, like most of the reviewers were told. Anyway I hope the upcoming patch fixes that.

It was picked up by many reviewers on youtube in the preview. Many of them said it would be fixed by release. I completely agree with you that its shouldnt have been released in this state and shoudl have delayed a week. I am really looking forward to the update because I am not flying the aircraft in its current state. I hope they also fix the VR zoom...

Oh well, the Sounds that are already recorded are superb! It´s how they work together in the Wwise Projects. Blending needs work, adding Sound Pitch needs work. 

But looking forward to the final results!

Btw. TSS Twotter Soundpack is now already at Sell Charts #11 at SimMarket. XD  Fun Fact, all implemented Sounds for the Twin Otter are the same like the TSS Twin Otter Soundpack.

I cant understand, why not just giving a Legacy / Wwise combination, as long there are problems with working "only" on Wwise.

2 hours ago, zaki87 said:

I cant understand, why not just giving a Legacy / Wwise combination, as long there are problems with working "only" on Wwise.

It's probably for Xbox compatibility, although legacy .wav files are supported by Wwise in the MSFS Sounds SDK.

I've been trying to activate the MSFS King Air 350 engine sounds with the sound.xml - you can specify an additional sound pack like this:

<!-- WWISE PACKAGES -->
    <WwisePackages>
        <MainPackage Name="YOURCAMPANY_PLANENAME"/>

<AdditionalPackage Name="MYCOMPANY_PLANENAME_ADDITIONAL1"/>
    </WwisePackages>

You can add as many additional packages as you like in this way, numbered 1 onwards.

I have added the engine sounds section from the King Air 350's sound.xml to the twin otter's sound.xml, but I just haven't found a way to call those sounds! I've tried adding these engine section headers:

<AdditionalPackage> - </AdditionalPackage>

<AdditionalPackage1> - </AdditionalPackage1>

<Additional1> - </Additional1>

<Asobo_KingAir350> - </Asobo_KingAir350>

<Asobo_KingAir350_Additional1> - </Asobo_KingAir350_Additional1>

None of these have worked so far, and there's no information available on how to call an additional sound pack in the sound.xml that I can find.

1 hour ago, flykorni said:

Great news, thx for listening to your loyal customers. May I ask you to do a "loud" engine sound version, like you would really hear it in the twotter?

Yes please @Mathijs Kok give us the option to hear it as it should, in the realistic way

vor 1 hour , taw1962 sagte:

It's probably for Xbox compatibility, although legacy .wav files are supported by Wwise in the MSFS Sounds SDK.

I've been trying to activate the MSFS King Air 350 engine sounds with the sound.xml - you can specify an additional sound pack like this:

<!-- WWISE PACKAGES -->
    <WwisePackages>
        <MainPackage Name="YOURCAMPANY_PLANENAME"/>

<AdditionalPackage Name="MYCOMPANY_PLANENAME_ADDITIONAL1"/>
    </WwisePackages>

You can add as many additional packages as you like in this way, numbered 1 onwards.

I have added the engine sounds section from the King Air 350's sound.xml to the twin otter's sound.xml, but I just haven't found a way to call those sounds! I've tried adding these engine section headers:

<AdditionalPackage> - </AdditionalPackage>

<AdditionalPackage1> - </AdditionalPackage1>

<Additional1> - </Additional1>

<Asobo_KingAir350> - </Asobo_KingAir350>

<Asobo_KingAir350_Additional1> - </Asobo_KingAir350_Additional1>

None of these have worked so far, and there's no information available on how to call an additional sound pack in the sound.xml that I can find.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm#t=Content_Configuration%2FSounds%2FSound_Definitions.htm&rhsearch=sound&rhhlterm=sound&ux=search

use: <AdditionalPackage Name="Asobo_KingAir350" />

• Aerosoft
Just now, Cyberstudio said:

Yes please @Mathijs Kok give us the option to hear it as it should, in the realistic way

I find that a very hard thing to comment on. 

In a Twin Otter you have two turbines at 3 meters from your your ears, two props that are aimed directly towards the cockpit (not the pax area). And to block that sound you have a flimsy door made it one layer of 2 mm aluminium. No sounds dampening in any form. Every bit of the metal around you seems to rattle and increase the sound level. Zero (and I mean zero) attempt to make life easier for the pilots. The seats determine the range if you get my meaning. If you take off your headphones and want to talk to you co-pilot you are yelling to their ears only to get 'WHAT!!!!???" as response.  That is why, in the Twin Otter, the pilot gives you the security talk before he starts the engines.

We seen people compare it to the PMDG DC-6 but that has piston engines and props that rotate slower, we seen it compared to aircraft that are 3 decades younger and not utilitarian. We seen a lot of people compare it to the FS default aircraft but there is simple none in there that comes even close. While we fully agree the mix has major issues as explained elsewhere, we can't fix the fact the the sound level in the cockpit of the Twin Otter is so loud that without a headset you will not be able to talk to you mate or ATC. There is no Twin Otter pilot who does not use a rather serious noise canceling headphone. One that does not is deaf by now. Before NC headphones they used cotton ear plugs and big earphones.

Again, this about volume, not about the mix of sounds. We now know we simply can't use the actual decibels we measure in the cockpit as most users will not accept that level. As we can't switch between two sound sets in the sim, we will deliver one that matches the expectations of the customers. So you will be able to hear aerodynamic sounds (airflow), the turbines, the props and still hear switches being set. And yes that is a bit weird. And yes you will still hear the hydraulic pump every single time the pressure drops. That thing is located 8 centimeters below your seat and is loud as hell. And, dear FSElite, no,  that is not 'flaps sound' what ever that might be. 

So, dear Cyberstudio, I can't promise what you ask. 

18 minutes ago, zaki87 said:

Yes I've tried that in the Wwise packages section, but there's no information on how to flag the added king air sounds section as the additional package. If I leave it unlabelled, that section plays the existing engine sounds and not the King Air engine sounds.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I find that a very hard thing to comment on. 

In a Twin Otter you have two turbines at 3 meters from your your ears, two props that are aimed directly towards the cockpit (not the pax area). And to block that sound you have a flimsy door made it one layer of 2 mm aluminium. No sounds dampening in any form. Every bit of the metal around you seems to rattle and increase the sound level. Zero (and I mean zero) attempt to make life easier for the pilots. The seats determine the range if you get my meaning. If you take off your headphones and want to talk to you co-pilot you are yelling to their ears only to get 'WHAT!!!!???" as response.  That is why, in the Twin Otter, the pilot gives you the security talk before he starts the engines.

We seen people compare it to the PMDG DC-6 but that has piston engines and props that rotate slower, we seen it compared to aircraft that are 3 decades younger and not utilitarian. We seen a lot of people compare it to the FS default aircraft but there is simple none in there that comes even close. While we fully agree the mix has major issues as explained elsewhere, we can't fix the fact the the sound level in the cockpit of the Twin Otter is so loud that without a headset you will not be able to talk to you mate or ATC. There is no Twin Otter pilot who does not use a rather serious noise canceling headphone. One that does not is deaf by now. Before NC headphones they used cotton ear plugs and big earphones.

Again, this about volume, not about the mix of sounds. We now know we simply can't use the actual decibels we measure in the cockpit as most users will not accept that level. As we can't switch between two sound sets in the sim, we will deliver one that matches the expectations of the customers. So you will be able to hear aerodynamic sounds (airflow), the turbines, the props and still hear switches being set. And yes that is a bit weird. And yes you will still hear the hydraulic pump every single time the pressure drops. That thing is located 8 centimeters below your seat and is loud as hell. And, dear FSElite, no,  that is not 'flaps sound' what ever that might be. 

So, dear Cyberstudio, I can't promise what you ask. 

Yeah, i fully understand your point but i think its possible to make it work for both kinds of customers. think about it: Obviously you will start with the real recordings, those ear busting recordings. If you already have the "virgin" sounds, why not deliver those as an optional without alterations? then you can make a copy and tweak the volume to meet the other customer's expectations and deliver those by default.

Now both camps are happy. Do you want the tweaked sounds? there's nothing to do: they're included by default. Do you want the real recordings with the most realistic volume? just switch the sound folder. I wont expect that aerosoft is going to create 2 different sound sets, i know this isn't realistic. What i propose is to save the sounds before you tweak them and deliver those as optional extras.

• Aerosoft
34 minutes ago, Cyberstudio said:

What i propose is to save the sounds before you tweak them and deliver those as optional extras.

Optional extra sounds are

• Easy on our shop
  • Not easy on our affiliated shops (they hate that stuff)
  • Impossible to insert for Marketplace customers as the files are encrypted
  • Utterly impossible on Xbox.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Optional extra sounds are

• Easy on our shop
  • Not easy on our affiliated shops (they hate that stuff)
  • Impossible to insert for Marketplace customers as the files are encrypted
  • Utterly impossible on Xbox.

I see your point. Too bad 😕

6 hours ago, Cyberstudio said:

It's not really realistic due to the fact that it's extremely loud and all pilots use headphones when flying turboprops. Even the passengers are provided with earplugs. I used to fly the Dash 8-100 and it's absolutely terrible during takeoff. The Twin Otter is worse. The solution I guess is to provide two separate volum adjusted sound sets, or to simulate how the airplane sounds when wearing headphones. 

The thing about the sound is that people like me really want to feel the engines. I got your point about not being able to listen to ATC and stuff, but making sounds as real as they are should be priority. When costumers want them a bit more quiet they always can adjust the engine volume in the MSFS volume control panel. In the end it's easier to turn volume down from 100% than turning it up above that. Just my few coins..

15 hours ago, taw1962 said:

Yes I've tried that in the Wwise packages section, but there's no information on how to flag the added king air sounds section as the additional package. If I leave it unlabelled, that section plays the existing engine sounds and not the King Air engine sounds.

Tried to fiddle with that too, hope someone could shed some light on how to choose which package to use for the different sounds

8 hours ago, Trond Magne Hansen said:

Tried to fiddle with that too, hope someone could shed some light on how to choose which package to use for the different sounds

I now realise that the Additional Package is used when two or more sound packs are used for the same aircraft. One package could contain only the cockpit sounds, while the second package could contain only the engine sounds.

In order to merge two existing aircraft's sound packages, you would have to delete the engine sounds from one package, and everything EXCEPT the engine sounds from the other package.

There are .pck editors for other games on Github, but they have been created for each specific game engine. Maybe one day we'll have one for MSFS?

Archived