Well, I'm happy with my purchase

I've seen so much negativity about this plane both on these forums as well as the official MSFS (often the same people, no doubt) and it bums me out a bit - I felt I just wanted to pipe up to say I do like the plane, and am very happy with my purchase.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but people are SO quick to judge, and SO incredibly knit-picky, and SO quick to criticise (no doubt helped by the anonymity of the internet) - everything is always either AMAZING or THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING EVER.

There are some problems with the plane, yes. I have every confidence most of these will be acknowledged and rectified where reasonably possible, as with most version 1 .00 software launches. Those issues not withstanding, I've made a few flights with this plane, and I enjoyed every second of it.

So don't be disheartened Aerosoft peeps - you've made a nice thing, and your efforts are appreciated.

• Aerosoft
12 minutes ago, Joe Markowski said:

I agree with having no problem waiting for fixes for small issues, but I am very disheartened after hearing talk for months about the depth and quality of the systems modeling (barring abnormals, which I acknowledge), but every time someone points out something called out in the manual isn't working as it should (or at all), the answer is that the manual will be changed.

As we tried to make clear, the manual is based on a book and I tried to keep that format. So it also discusses the DHC-200 and 400 even though they are not included. I also do not feel we have ever promised system depth that is not included. 

Already devolving into another moan thread. 

31 minutes ago, djtaylor said:

However the disappointed customers are. 

Are you familiar with the concept of a silent majority? I'd wager most customers are actually not disappointed, and I'm one of them.

I'm not an Aerosoft cheerleader either: you can like a thing and still acknowledge its issues : I love my car, but its windscreen wipers are crap. 

I honestly believe that most issues people are complaining about (like the sounds for instance, which certainly seems to get people frothing at the mouth over) will be addressed or mitigated. 

Even the much lauded Kodiak launched with several issues (which again, had some people lose their absolute minds over in the forums), which were very quickly hot fixed and will be further addressed in future updates.

But all this is turning into an argument again. I just wanted to express and share my own positive impressions towards this product in a sea of apparent dislike and discontent.

• Aerosoft
Just now, djtaylor said:

Having them all so way off as they are is just incorrect at outset.

Well, it is a bit more complex then that, but changes were made at the last moment that turned out to be incorrect and are now being corrected. In that fix we will also reduce the volume. For people who prefer the sound set that is as loud as we think it should be we will have a separate download. That should make both parties happy.

18 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well, it is a bit more complex then that, but changes were made at the last moment that turned out to be incorrect and are now being corrected. In that fix we will also reduce the volume. For people who prefer the sound set that is as loud as we think it should be we will have a separate download. That should make both parties happy.

Thank you so much Mathijs. I absolutely love this plane and you've all done an incredible job. Every update will continue to set my own expectations higher and higher. Much appreciated to you and the team for all the hard work and community engagement.

There are so many faults with this Twin Otter.

It is a disgrace that there are amazing freeware developers out there, that give their free time making wonderful mods to existing aircraft and new aircraft. And then there are giants of the industry like Aerosoft that can’t even produce a functioning autopilot, have sounds that are not just on and off, have a visibly moving trim wheel, have an ADF radio that can be turned on, have an HSI that can track a VOR, have skis that move up and down when you move the handle… etc etc…

• Aerosoft
4 minutes ago, Joe Markowski said:

I think the problem is that we don't have the ability to take these sounds and then muffle them ourselves, unless we use separate speakers for MSFS and headphones for an ATC program for example (the wives would probably take issue with this, though), so we're getting unadulterated Twin Otter in our headphones competing with ATC.

That is EXACTLY the issue. 

As I wrote yesterday, in the real Twin Otter this is not a major problem as the crew wears NC headphones. Without them you are shouting seriously hard to each other to make yourself heard.  Now 99.99% of users will never have been in the Twin Otter cockpit wearing a NC headphone and would simply not recognize the sound. And no YouTube video will be a guide. The sound set would be very bland, just a heavy hiss, not a lot affected by difference in throttle or prop settings. All the cockpit sounds, like levers etc would be deleted. 

I have told this before, but when we did the F1-6 we were lucky enough to have access to F-16 and a television sound guy. So he mounted two small microphones inside the headset of the pilot. We ended up with an absolute correct sound set that was broadcast standard. And customers absolutely hated it. They simply would not accept that that is how it sounds to the pilot. Even when we asked real fighter pilots to confirm it was right, customer still simply did not want to accept it. So after two weeks we made a new recording of the sounds in the cockpit. The result was exactly as is sounds in the cockpit but not as ANY pilot even heard it.  They considered it comical. Customers loved it as they heard the jet engine scream, AB kicking in etc. Go figure.

In this project we leaned very heavy on the advisory pilots for the sounds. What we most likely should have done is merge that input with the expectations of the customers. Personally I lower the engine sounds using the sim options when I fly with ATC and I know many others who do the same in aircraft that are so noisy that you simply can't use a cockpit speaker to hear the radios. Clearly that is not acceptable to most users, so we will change the soundset more to what is expected and easier to use without setting sim options.

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, Dopster198 said:

I've seen so much negativity about this plane both on these forums as well as the official MSFS (often the same people, no doubt) and it bums me out a bit - I felt I just wanted to pipe up to say I do like the plane, and am very happy with my purchase.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but people are SO quick to judge, and SO incredibly knit-picky, and SO quick to criticise (no doubt helped by the anonymity of the internet) - everything is always either AMAZING or THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING EVER.

There are some problems with the plane, yes. I have every confidence most of these will be acknowledged and rectified where reasonably possible, as with most version 1 .00 software launches. Those issues not withstanding, I've made a few flights with this plane, and I enjoyed every second of it.

So don't be disheartened Aerosoft peeps - you've made a nice thing, and your efforts are appreciated.

Thank you for the OP, Dopster, I recognize your observations about forum conversations in general, maybe we are of the same age ;).

Personally, I absolutely love this Twotter already as it is, and I am sure that with the coming updates it only will get better.

Waited Long Time for Twotter , Many Many Moons ago! been flying for well since yesterday and Damn this is a Outstanding Edition to our Fleet, was able to cancel out the White Noise ( sounds like TV or Radio static at max Volume over all other Sounds ) Via my Mackie Equalizer. I get the sounds are in Beta at this time and will be Remedied soon. Great Job and Thakyou for all the Hard Work and Dedication to the Team that brought the Twin Otter to MSFS 2020. Our Gang would Pay Double to Fly the Twotter, Lol

Cheers this Buds for you!

Brian

I had my order returned and am deeply thankful for that. It makes me feel like I am dealing with a fair business partner here :). I will gladly rebuy the Twotter once I can incorporate it in a way I need it to be.

My thoughts:

pros

• Flight model: akin to the PMDG DC-6 it feels like it has real mass to it, inertia is a thing and this is captured quite beautiful in my opinion
  • Slow down, drop the flaps fully and feel yourself dropping at 2k ft/min with 80kn... Marvellous. And still controlable. To me no other addon aircraft captures the sensation of flying in such an organic and fuss free way as the Twotter does in MSFS at the moment. And I really mean it. It is phenomenal. No jerky movement, you glide off the runway just like in a real plane, no twitchyness when flying. To me this is the definition of how controls should be done translated into the short control throws you have with sim controllers. I imagine a lot of work went into this aspect of the model.
  • Cockpit: I have read multiple statements and beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I really like it. Everything is readable and of a throughout high quality, it feels organic and fits nicely into the sim. I am a fan.
  • Framerate: very friendly

neutral

• Sounds: has been discussed ad nauseum, transitions are bad, yes but switches clicking are nice and the actual sound when not in a transition is actually quite nice to me. I liked it
  • very comprehensive manual: actually pretty awesome and I was tempted to put it into the pros, however some things discussed there do not extend to the actual model bought and especially in the keyboard assignment section things are listed that do not really apply to the plane. Still a great effort and something for others to look up to
  • no damage/ still flying if not all procedures followed: I do not need a smoking engine if I overtorqued. I also do not mind when an aeroplane starts if I do the wrong sequence to start it. I follow the procedures and I will correct myself. And I rather go "Darn, I should have done that correctly" and finish my flight to have learned from it than having to go through a lengthy reload. I control myself what I should have done better. A very subjective point and it was not to my detriment of enjoying the plane

cons

• very subjective: I use what you could call a mixed reality cockpit ;) as I cannot use VR goggles due to an eye condition. So I have a lot of buttons (button box, stream deck, X-Touch mini MIDI board,...) in order to have a physical way of interacting with the cockpit. I have those buttons memorized and will press them blindly and check the actual position of the switch in the virtual cockpit with TrackIR. Using the LVars to change the values for the switches however do not move the switches. Also there are some basic functions not mapable like the fuel pumps. This was the first dealbreaker for me. I cannot tell the state of the plane by looking at it and I'd have to use a mouse to utilize it to its potential, which I try to avoid at all costs.
  • no undockable GPS: I bet there is a good reason for having it done this way but here was the second dealbreaker for me. I have two touch screens mounted on the yoke with which I use a knobster and have G1000's or GNS's directly in front of me. I have a real hard time seeing what is on the GPS otherwise. I do not use different cockpit views so your milage may vary here as well and you might as well call this subjective
  • just a minor gripe: for people flying on online networks it would be great if the placard with the callsign would be updating itself to the actual callsign. Usually you cannot all be the H4-FNT. I used a workaround and had my callsign displayed on the Stream Deck.

So what is my takeaway from this? Sadly it did not work out for me, but I will follow this closely. I feel valued as a customer and will be coming back.

Other than that: I would seriously recommend buying this plane to anyone whom my two subjective points do not apply to. I think it is a good rendition and considering Aerosoft's track record things will improve in due time and what is even more important for a very long time. Products do not get discarded after 3 months. You are usually in for the long haul with a product like this and can happily fly away years later (To me the Twin Otter Extended was a poster child for this). So by all means go ahead and have a fun time!

This was supposed to be my 2 cents, but it became a $1.34 ;)

• Aerosoft
29 minutes ago, Deimos said:

very subjective: I use what you could call a mixed reality cockpit ;) as I cannot use VR goggles due to an eye condition. So I have a lot of buttons (button box, stream deck, X-Touch mini MIDI board,...) in order to have a physical way of interacting with the cockpit. I have those buttons memorized and will press them blindly and check the actual position of the switch in the virtual cockpit with TrackIR. Using the LVars to change the values for the switches however do not move the switches. Also there are some basic functions not mapable like the fuel pumps. This was the first dealbreaker for me. I cannot tell the state of the plane by looking at it and I'd have to use a mouse to utilize it to its potential, which I try to avoid at all costs.

Lvars are related to the add-on and we have not released any of those as far as I know.  Exactly what Lvars are you talking about?

vor 54 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Lvars are related to the add-on and we have not released any of those as far as I know.  Exactly what Lvars are you talking about?

I used Axis and Ohs to read the LVars from the TwinOtter. As I do not have it installed anymore and can't because of the return I can just go by memory, so please excuse any mistakes:  (L:DHC6_DC_SOURCE,·Number) with values 0, 1 and 2 for example to select Ground Power, Battery or off would switch the power source if supplied with the corresponding values for example but the cockpit switch does not react. Same for all the icing switches of which I do not remember the variable names but showed the same behavior. Also the bleed air switches. In the read out LVars I could not find any mention of the fuel pumps and none of the default simulator examples would work with them.

I do not mean to offend anyone and appreciate your answer. If these were not meant to be used then my bad.

yeah, just wanted to say that I'm really happy with the plane so far as well - VR flights around Barra have been great! Perf is really good, both in 4k and VR.
I understand the sound issues are being looked into - and totally cool with that.

The only other issue I've noticed ( just today ) is that Freelook / R-click on the mouse - is turning off the electrical systems while R mouse is held down. I didn't notice it yesterday ( and it's major enough that you can't miss it ) - so I need to reboot and trouble shoot.

Also, I've got a fair share of CTDs when loading a flight - but that seems to be related to me multi-tasking and having other 3D modeling apps open. It's more stable when the MSFS is in focus and no "heavy" apps are running.

Anyways - have been looking forward to the plane for a long time, and happy to be flying it! 

Cheers!

• Aerosoft
Just now, TheInternetLad said:

I am loving the twin otter, honestly I like the actual sound, its the transitions between throttle levels  i guess? just sounds so sharp and catches me offguard

Exactly and we have already found 2 issues in the sound set that are in play with that.

• Aerosoft
5 minutes ago, ravenn22 said:

The only other issue I've noticed ( just today ) is that Freelook / R-click on the mouse - is turning off the electrical systems while R mouse is held down. I didn't notice it yesterday ( and it's major enough that you can't miss it ) - so I need to reboot and trouble shoot.

Reported a few times. It is caused by assignments. 

To backup the original post - i really like this Twin Otter package. 

Having realistic expectations has made me appreciate the plane for what it is.

To successfully simulate a full aircraft within a (lets face it) less than perfect sim is a mammoth effort - so Kudos to the team for what they have acheived.

We will get updates/hotfixes which will only make the package even better in my opinion.

I have flown 5/6 flights with it and have enjoyed each flight - i am already looking forward to my next few flights and really testing out my hand flying abilities.

I am not a 'happy clapper' or a 'fan boy' - cut the devs some slack - with everything going on in the world they have still managed to get us a great product out that will be developed more over time.

It seems like anything short of absolute perfection these days causes riots in the forums!

3 minutes ago, dkline_sim_gaming said:

It seems like anything short of absolute perfection these days causes riots in the forums

Expecting the autopilot to work is not asking for absolute perfection.

3 minutes ago, dkline_sim_gaming said:

What doesn't work, exactly?

Ive had no problems with the autopilot so far - granted i havn't tried using it for approaches yet.

It pitches down when you engage it as it won't let you select VS until you engage so if you engage it when climbing for example it will try and level you out at 0 fpm. Then for me and others it shoots straight through the selected altitude even thought it engages ALT mode, and then is just wont respond to disengaging ALT and trying to set a negative VS. 

It really is not user error, I have been simming for 20 years and never ever had a problem. 

I mean it has literally done this as I type.

12500ft selected, it has now climbed to 13500ft and still climbing even though ALT mode engaged automatically just before the selected altitude of 12500ft.

Please login to display this image.

Now I am in vs with -1000fpm and it is still climbing.

Please somebody from Aerosoft explain what is going on.

5 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Reported a few times. It is caused by assignments. 

got it - thx...   forgot we had to revert back to default mouse mapping to solve the world map issue ;)

10 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I would love to see a virtual headset sound mode as shown in other products. This muffles the loud sound and give you an effect as if wearing good over the ear headset.

12 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

As we tried to make clear, the manual is based on a book and I tried to keep that format. So it also discusses the DHC-200 and 400 even though they are not included. I also do not feel we have ever promised system depth that is not included. 

Hello Mathijs,

I bought the the twin otter from MSFS market place, and love how it performs. However I found my ADF panel is off and I have no idea on how to turn it on, couldn't find it in the manual either. Is it a bug or did  I miss something?

Cheers!

Archived