Engaging Autopilot

abennett

I have read the manual that is copied and pasted from previous versions of this aircraft including the sections about various features that clearly aren’t modelled in the MSFS version, and the bits that refer to Section 6.3 when there is no section 6.3, in fact there aren’t any numbered sections at all... 

So looking for some help.

May somebody please explain to me how to engage the autopilot during climb without the aircraft nosediving?

Thanks

5 hours ago, abennett said:

May somebody please explain to me how to engage the autopilot during climb without the aircraft nosediving?

It shouldn't nosedive, it will level off when you select AP on. This is annoying, and I am not sure if it is correct behaviour. I had understood from a brief read of the KAP140 manual that it should start in VS mode with the current VS at the time you select AP on. It doesn't seem to do this, it seems to select VS mode with 0 as the VS. This may be what you observe. This is also all from memory, BTW. (The following is speculation: it may be that preselecting an altitude and pressing the Arm button before selecting the AP on would do something different. I say this because the Arm button doesn't seem to be needed otherwise, the Alt alert auto-arms when you dial in an altitude.)

14 minutes ago, MarkHurst said:

This is also all from memory, BTW

Yes this what happens. So you lose the climb, it shouldn't happen though. Then it is pot luck if it levels off properly at the selected altitude. And when descending, pot luck if it stays at the selected VS without suddenly nose diving. I was flying earlier, descending at -700fpm reduced it to -400fpm and it took a nose dive to around -2000fpm instead. I was lucky I noticed as I was in thick cloud so cloud disengage. And as for it trying to follow vertical guidance on an approach, well all I can say is good luck.

9 minutes ago, Finn said:

The ARM button on the Asobo KAP140 is not implementet.

It works in other aircraft. But anyway sort of irrelevant as the Twin Otter still goes into Alt Mode, which should hold the selected altitude but it just shoots through it. This and its inability to follow the selected VS accurately and reliably are the big issues with the autopilot that only affect this aircraft.

Tell me which Aircraft with the Asobo KAP140 where the ARM button actually works ?

Looking into the code for the Asobo KAP140, there is no code for the ARM function, just the ARM button itself.

2 hours ago, Finn said:

Tell me which Aircraft with the Asobo KAP140 where the ARM button actually works ?

Looking into the code for the Asobo KAP140, there is no code for the ARM function, just the ARM button itself.

From the top of my head C152 JPL Mod, Cessna 172.

12500ft selected, it has now climbed to 13500ft and still climbing even though ALT mode engaged automatically just before the selected altitude of 12500ft.

image.thumb.png.c4f90382393e79f16318c8cda6117364.png

Now I am in vs with -1000fpm and it is still climbing.

image.thumb.png.43432f6b0907308540b84d0ce311a853.png

Please somebody from Aerosoft explain what is going on.

7 minutes ago, Finn said:

How does it automatically engage ALT mode when approaching selected altitude if there is no ARM function? How does every other aircraft manage to not shoot through selected altitude?

On other aircraft with this system, you can also pre-select a VS so that when the AP is engaged it doesn't go to 0 fpm in the climb, pitching down, ruining the trim and airspeed. How is this possible with the same system but not here?

Genuine questions, look I love the Twin Otter, I flew your version in P3D for hours and hours and hours and hours. I just want this one to work, I am happy to test and test and test, it is mainly all I've done for the last two days anyway along with a friend who has the same issues. I just want it to work.

8 hours ago, abennett said:

How does it automatically engage ALT mode when approaching selected altitude if there is no ARM function? How does every other aircraft manage to not shoot through selected altitude?

On other aircraft with this system, you can also pre-select a VS so that when the AP is engaged it doesn't go to 0 fpm in the climb, pitching down, ruining the trim and airspeed. How is this possible with the same system but not here?

Genuine questions, look I love the Twin Otter, I flew your version in P3D for hours and hours and hours and hours. I just want this one to work, I am happy to test and test and test, it is mainly all I've done for the last two days anyway along with a friend who has the same issues. I just want it to work.

Because Asobo desgined it to always ARM.

I´m sure some parameters can be adjusted for the Autopilot ins the System.cfg, I´m just not sure which affects the KAP140 and where to tweak.

But You are right...

The correct functions for the KAp140 is described here: https://www.touringmachine.com/PDFs-Txt/Cessna172/KAP140 Autopilot Quick Reference Card.pdf

But this is not how the current KAP140 works - unfortunatly.

If You know a MSFS2020 aircraft,that uses the KAP140, which works more correctly - please tell.

Maybe some of the settings can be "borroughed" from that then.

I agree that the AP currently is a hit or miss affair and quite unreliable.

Well well well, turns out it is not Asobo's issue with the autopilot, but rather Aerosoft's inability to make proper cfg files. A few changes to a cfg and the AP works perfectly... I'll wait for the apologies but I doubt they will come.

Archived