Random CTDs

chinjh

Had 3 CTD's out of 4 short separate flights.

1st CTD

Took off without issue after 20minutes of flying, descent landing with full reverses and flap 37, Went to park beside the runway raised the flaps, decided to look outside view to see the flaps being raised and a few seconds MSFS crashed to desktop.

2nd CTD
At gate starting up accidentally feathered the left engine during start up(Forgot the correct key bindings) sim was stuck with loud sounds came out very similar to the windows BSOD then MSFS crashed to desktop.

3rd CTD just 30minutes ago
Took off without issue climbed hand flying the climb with pitch trim set and IAS at around 105kts aiming for 11500feet. At around 10000feet climbing i Looked outside to see my plane. MSFS crashed to desktop.

Only managed to do one complete 30minute flight yesterday without any issues and so on. Not sure if there was anything i did right with this session. I did a lot of view changes going outside and back into the cockpit and it didnt crash.

Am not sure if Nvidia's 511.23 is the cause. I used FBW A32NX on it there was no CTDs.

I experienced a few CTDs today just in the initial try-it-out phase. Probably 3-4 and then a fresh reboot before I was even able to start up the aircraft. After the reboot I was able to take off and land before the next CTD. Each of them had to do with me changing the camera either internal or external. Glad to see I'm not the only one so far.

7 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

That seems very random.... Would you be so kind as to remove all other DLC and try again? We do know there is some free DLC around that can cause issues because it is not fully written to SDK standards.

Would try so on my next flight. Also will try to disable Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling to see any difference. It seems browsing through Asobo's forum, Nvidia 511.23 with Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling turned on has been cited to cause potential CTD to RTX 2070 users.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Indeed, that seems to happen so some users. Weird issue because if it was indeed bugged you would expect to see it with all users. 

Just did a round flight. First 30minute leg uneventful down to the aircraft being powered off and doors open, battery off everything. Did a second leg return flight without exiting msfs as i would usually do, thought this time everything would be okay. Flight went as usual takeoff cruise and landed. Parked into the bay. I engage the parking brake and wanted changed to outside view to take some screenshot before shutting the engines down and Msfs crashed itself. This is with the Community folder empty and Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling disabled.

CTD no.5
First 25minute leg uneventful. Landed at a stock stolport. Turn off everything like a proper turnaround for 15minutes. Startup everything as usual and took off for next leg. Noticed my fps was dipping to 40 something it was consistently 60fps on the first leg. Task manager parameters RAM is at 48% usage, GPU 52% temperature at 60C, CPU 60%. Went back to the sim and carried on. Approx 5 minutes later. Changing from outside view back into cockpit during climb on MSFS closes itself.

Decided to do a full reinstall on Aerosoft One with antivirus turned off.

CTD no.6
Spawned at gate started engine no2. While engine is starting up changed to view outside for screenshot then there's this sudden loud broken audio like windows BSOD with the simulator stuck and MSFS promtly closes itself.

Additional info: Sim settings is in High Performance only LOD slider was adjusted to 200. Plane is very fps friendly(60fps lock) throughout except for the second leg which caused my 4th CTD.

Decided to test FBW A32NX to see if there is a problem. Add it back to the community folder even added some payware scenery. Did a full 1hour leg startup to landing to shutdown all instruments off. No CTD.
Took another test reinstalled Indiafoxtecho Goshawk from Asobo marketplace. Flew around for 30minutes no CTD.

CTD no.7
1st leg 35minute flight uneventful. Decided to exit to msfs main menu some speculate it could help with ctds. 2nd leg spawn at the same bay i landed in. Took off cruise landing without issue. This was a 50minute flight really was very scared of any CTD for such a long flight LOL. Landed without issue at arrival turn in taxing towards the bay. Shut down the engines. Switch from cockpit view to Ctrl+09 to open the passenger stairs and MSFS just jams itself without closing. 5 seconds later got notified Nvidia Share had stop working. But i had somewhat managed to capture some of it. This time MSFS wont budge and had to be terminated via task manager.

Please login to view this video.

Please login to display this image.

Had the same problem, did a flight from TNCM to TFFJ. After Landing and switching from cockpit to outside everything was fine, but after switching back to cockpit MSFS freezed and CTD.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:30 AM, chinjh said:

It seems browsing through Asobo's forum, Nvidia 511.23 with Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling turned on has been cited to cause potential CTD

Having turned off HAGS and run two successful short hops, I feel like this may have been the issue for me even though I'm not running the 20-series but the 30-series. I'll try to run a few more test flights this weekend.

• Aerosoft

We have had several more reports about the HAGS issue. 

If that is off, do try to clear your folder of all other add-ons. There are a few freeware add-ons that are not fully written with the SDK in mind and can cause problems. I contacted the developers of those yesterday.

Strange for today had 4 flights with no CTDs. Only difference is i was not using the default 300 series passenger Solomon Airline livery but another livery i downloaded from flightsim.to for the standard 300 series passenger variant again. Have yet to try the other otter variants with their respective repaints to see if this was the case.

Also noted a weird behavior with frame rates. If i were to finish a sector and shutdown engines and leaving the cockpit cold and dark for 15 minutes and starting things back for the next sector my average Fps of 60 that was on my first leg would drop to an average 42fps. There were a lot of times it would dip to 28fps when there was some LOD loading and some stuttering. Checking task manager the CPU, GPU, Memory and disk usage were barely elevated. Temperature around 65c.

Tested another flight where after landing i would prop both engines down but only fully shutting down the left engine and open the passenger doors and let this play for 15 minutes. Start the left engine etc and took off the second leg with this turnaround tactic gave me a good 60fps with no stuttering and no visible issue with LOD loading.

Still very inconclusive at the moment.

No CTD so far. Still not sure what was the cause. Though i am suspecting something is wrong with the default livery Solomon Airline. I have pretty much filled up my community folder with all the add-ons back and no ctd flying other repaints.. The only thing i have not revert is i am still keeping HAGS turned off. Am not seeing any performance changes(HAGS should only be turned on if you're using an entry level to mid GPU) so i am keeping it turned off. Maybe this is the unlikely fix for it.

Archived