Control struglling

cenkcnk

20 hours ago, cenkcnk said:

during take off or even taxi, plane goes to left violently. do you experience the same? i almost rolled over during take off

Have you accidentally set the rudder trim way left? Hard to do as there isn't an axis for it, but maybe you have a button mapped to it accidentally. Look down between the seats for the indicator.

I agree with this, I've done mabye five-six flights, and it always pulls heavily to one side on the ground. I just correct it with the rudder pedals but it seems incorrect. I also noticed the aircraft really wanting to roll right in the air, is this a real thing for the twotter, or something in the sim?

• Aerosoft

Well both props turn the same way, that is why you need rudder trim for take-off and aileron trim in flight, but if it moves violently it can only be two things, one engine making a lot more power then the other or a control surface that is not set correctly.

• Aerosoft
2 hours ago, Mavericko said:

Oh, I had no idea they turned the same way on the Twin Otter, that's why I was suprised. That explains that!

As far as I know that is the case with virtually all twin engined aircraft. As the turbine (or pistons) can only spin or move one way, having one engine rotate the other way would mean a reverser gear. And those eat horsepower. Would also mean different props.

A few twin props have counter-rotating engines, like the legendary P38 Lightning, or the Jetstream JS41 turboprop.  

But that's really not a rule, as the Twotter readily demonstrates.  So one should always be mindful of which way his propellers turn on any specific aircraft. 

As MarkHurst mentioned above look down between the seats and you'll see the rudder trim wheel and indicator. Look closely at the indicator and you'll see a mark "TO". I find 16 (sixteen) clicks on my button mapped to right rudder trim takes me to that mark. You'll still need a tad more rudder during takeoff and just before full rudder authority kicks in but this should help.

Bob

4 minutes ago, AerobaticAce said:

As MarkHurst mentioned above look down between the seats and you'll see the rudder trim wheel and indicator. Look closely at the indicator and you'll see a mark "TO". I find 16 (sixteen) clicks on my button mapped to right rudder trim takes me to that mark. You'll still need a tad more rudder during takeoff and just before full rudder authority kicks in but this should help.

Bob

huh i find if i trim the rudder to the T.O. mark it's way too much trim and I have to then press the rudder to the left to correct. i usually do about 3/4 from center to the TO mark. 
but note: it also depends on your x-wind and which direction it's coming from 

dresoccer4:

Sorry, I should've mentioned that I'm training in this plane and, to reduce variables, I fly out of CYSN Niagara District in calm, clear conditions. Once I get comfortable enough I'll start to dial in the weather variables.

Bob

• Developer
3 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

huh i find if i trim the rudder to the T.O. mark it's way too much trim and I have to then press the rudder to the left to correct. i usually do about 3/4 from center to the TO mark. 
but note: it also depends on your x-wind and which direction it's coming from 

Our rigging is a bit off as the center is also left of the neutral mark...No plane is perfect! Your 3/4 is perfect....

Archived