First 15 minutes test, disappointed.. several things

Hi there,

thanks for bringing us the Twotter. However it's a big letdown for me, at least in its current state. It flys absolutely great though!

Biggest issue: Engine sound. Not only I observe the 'steps' already discussed in the other thread, but right in the transition from forward to reverse (so exactly where the beta range should be) the sound- stops. I have reverse and forward (whole range) on the axis, so I can transition smoothly through the whole range. The usual 'swirling' sound in the beta range is completely missing. Besides that, the whole soundpack for the engine just doesn't live up to the overall quality.

Beta range: It is non-existent. Although it might be a current sim limitation, the 'feel' and especially the sound when taxiing is easily surpassed by the Kodiak.

Prop modeling: The props are flat when looked at from the side. Even when feathered, it is shows as a thin strip when viewed from the side. No volumetric prop modeling at all.  Stopping the engine, it should stop feathered (except for the water based versions, if startlocks applied). However it stops flat. Correct me if I'm wrong, but usually in the PT6 the hydraulic pump for the props sits in the prop hub and only provides pressure when the the prop is turning, and the blades are spring loaded to feather. So..

Hydraulic pump: With brake pedals contantly applied, the hydraulic pressure is bleeding constantly and the pump runs in short intervals. The hydraulic pressure should drop only once per application, not constantly during one application.

Visual quality: Especially when looking out of the window at the engines, it feels like FSX (not even P3D). While the model and textures are generally good (but not close to the other single engine turbine recently released), this view in particular is not state of the art, mainly because of texuring and materials. The spinner has a strange layer of.. dirt..? The exhaust is pretty unsharp, it seems it is overly glossy. The intake isn't round, but you can see edges. The prop blade textures are particularly unsharp.

That's what I have seen within 10 minutes. The 5 minutes of flying were fine, the flight model feels great.

For me those points are already big immersion killers, especially the sound. Therefore I'll shelf it and see what future updates bring. It really has great potential to become a great addon, however it's not there yet (for me).

Please login to display this image.

Noticed the same issues - main issue with sounds but also noticed random stuck instruments too.

Besides awful sounds in the first place, I often get no sound at all (descending at idle, the throttle becomes like a volume slider...idle it's silent from the outside then fades in a stuck max RPM sound with increasing throttle).  Aside from that the other big one is random looping of random sounds, changes per re-load of the flight/aircraft.  Load in once, it's the flap drop sound, next the skis, next the fuel pump (even when all off).  Trying to capture them in vids to report back and hopefully get fixed: https://youtu.be/0NmZ87u5NOA

To be fair I was immediately impressed with the lack of FPS drop - default 787 performs worse for me - but I guess as above we see why.  It's hardly hideous though, I've sort of enjoyed playing about with it today, just the main sound issues are totally killing it and need a serious rethink.  Doubt they're sim-related rather than mod-related if the other aircraft are fine.

I agree about the props not feathering.  This was an issue in both the P3D and FSX versions.  Honestly, these are all pretty much exactly like the previous versions in quality.  The sound is outright TERRIBLE! Stepped sounds when the transitions should be smooth, and the cruise prop noise sounds like whoever recorded the sounds had no idea how to sync the props -  the out of phase sound drives me bonkers.  I've got quite a bit of time in the real plane and if the props were that out of sync all the time I would have gone nuts!!!!  Sound update needed for sure.

Edited for spelling

I was really looking forward to some awesome engine sounds, visuals and characteristics with this.

I was sorely disappointed and I have already made those aware that I was expecting good engine modelling in the previews.

The rest looks awesome!

A major disappointment for me too.  Textures constantly flickering on the instrument panel and control column and terrible sound implementation plus the numerous issues mentioned by others are real immersion breakers. Hope these amongst other things are fixed and I am sure they will be but it seems to me it was released too soon. Granted, some issues will go unnoticed during testing but most of these problems should have been noted and either fixed or addressed prior to release.

1 hour ago, Joe Markowski said:

If you have flight time in the real thing, @Mathijs Kokwants to hear from you.

I would love to offer some advice, but he's closed a number of threads on this forum suggesting improvements.  I love this airplane, 14000 hours total time only 1500 in a Twin Otter, but it is hands down the most amazing airplane I've flown in my 24 years of flying.  I know nothing about programming, so can appreciate that it's not as simple as "Just changing it", but come on, look at recent offerings like the Quest Kodiak 100, they got it pretty damn close.  If @Mathijs Kok would like some input I'd be glad to help.  I also have contacts currently flying the aircraft in the Canadian Arctic if real data points are required.  Honestly fixing the sound alone would be a huge leap forward.  The flight model itself is not bad from what I remember and from the data in my DeHaviland manual, so its a great start.  

3 hours ago, MatzeH84 said:

That's what I have seen within 10 minutes. The 5 minutes of flying were fine, the flight model feels great.

Wait till you do more and you realise how bad the autopilot is.

2 hours ago, abennett said:

I've never flown one with an autopilot in real life.  It's not common for them to have them in Canada.  There are usually two pilots and it is a super docile plane to fly, even IFR in the bumps.  But from my experience with autopilots in other aircraft of that size/vintage/category, shitty autopilots are par for the course lol.

3 hours ago, abennett said:

In Borneo the Twin otters are mostly equipped with very basic autopilot. They're mostly used at cruise level and very marginal turns not really ideal for climb and descent and steep turns. 90% of the climb and descents are handflown with pitch trim and power settings inplay. The airline i flew with does not even have autopilot installed on the viking glass cockpit variant.

4 minutes ago, chinjh said:

In Borneo the Twin otters are mostly equipped with very basic autopilot. They're mostly used at cruise level and very marginal turns not really ideal for climb and descent and steep turns. 90% of the climb and descents are handflown with pitch trim and power settings inplay. The airline i flew with does not even have autopilot installed on the viking glass cockpit variant.

Thanks for that, it's just a shame that they put one in and it doesn't work.

15 hours ago, Raybanman said:

I would love to offer some advice, but he's closed a number of threads on this forum suggesting improvements.  I love this airplane, 14000 hours total time only 1500 in a Twin Otter, but it is hands down the most amazing airplane I've flown in my 24 years of flying.  I know nothing about programming, so can appreciate that it's not as simple as "Just changing it", but come on, look at recent offerings like the Quest Kodiak 100, they got it pretty damn close.  If @Mathijs Kok would like some input I'd be glad to help.  I also have contacts currently flying the aircraft in the Canadian Arctic if real data points are required.  Honestly fixing the sound alone would be a huge leap forward.  The flight model itself is not bad from what I remember and from the data in my DeHaviland manual, so its a great start.  

Nice to know there's a 1500 hour twin otter pilot who knows that the sounds are hosed. I just wish Aerosoft would stop fighting people describing this problem by saying "pilots like it" "reviewers like it" -- It's measurably broken.

How much louder is takeoff compared to ground idle? Are the transitions in prop pitch positions smooth or sharp?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Guys, let's not repeat the arguments over and over again.

On the bright side: the development team is working on improvements for the sound and progress has been made.

vor 2 Stunden , Eric Bakker sagte:

On the bright side: the development team is working on improvements for the sound and progress has been made.

Have the other issues I found been recognized as well..?

I just bought this product and I am incredibly dissapointed in it. I had very high hopes after buying the CRJ. The sound is terrible. The decision to release it in this state was a mistake and a real shock compared to the standard I am used to from Aerosoft. I hope you bring out a fix soon. I am also surprised to read through these forums and see people who complain about the sound almost being ridiculed. The sound is terrible. The transitions of sound at different power settings is completely unrealistic. I have flown these aircraft in real life many times and they dont sound like this! I will be recommending people not to get this aircraft until this is fixed. Also please fix the zoom zones in VR. when I right click I zoom through the cockpit.

2 hours ago, Eric Bakker said:

But at the end of the day, it shouldnt have been released like this (at least not for 35 EUR). Even the preview videos on youtube were clearly complaining about it like VR Flight Sim Guy. I dont believe that in the beta testing this was not also picked up..... This in not the standard people are expecting..... It is hands down the worst sound model of all the third party add-ons. Period.

Archived