Inertial separator (a.k.a. intake deflector) - does it work?

Calypte

I'm trying to get intake deflector to work, but I see no results. TRQ is exactly the same no matter how long I keep the switch in extend or retract position. Tested on the ground and in the air at various power settings.

• Aerosoft
1 minute ago, Calypte said:

I'm trying to get intake deflector to work, but I see no results. TRQ is exactly the same no matter how long I keep the switch in extend or retract position. Tested on the ground and in the air at various power settings.

System not modeled as indicated in the manual. It's not an easy thing to get right and we wanted to think about some more.

Inertial separators are modelled in several aircraft in MSFS in the moded TBM (in the default too, as far as I remember), in SWS's Kodiak. Even the otherwise terribly simulated King Air has it. 

2 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

System not modeled as indicated in the manual. 

It is a bit confusing. Yes... I have found this statement: "Note that this is currently not modelled in this product". Which is clearly contrary to this statement: "As you can easily see, the Aerosoft Twin Otter has realistic engine displays for torque, RPM, and ITT. Furthermore, the inertial separator in the engine influences the engine parameters, just like in the prototype."

• Developer

We have not simulated air intake deflector power loss, despite the switch is there. We realized it too late and it will require a significant model update. I simply did not want a power loss simulated when everyone would tell me, that the flap has not moved which would causes it.

A possible improvement to think of.

But the power loss is actually simulated ;)  partly.

It is simulated on left engine only and the power loss occurs when engine intake anti-ice switch is flipped. I get 5 PSI drop on left engine when I switch it on.

1 minute ago, Raybanman said:

Turning on Intake Anti-Icing shouldn't cause a torque loss, It's an electric boot.  Why does this occur in your model?

Because this is not simulated within the engine model at this time. 

To sum it up ;)

We have an anti icing that behaves somehow like inertial separator. But only on the left engine.

We don't have inertial separator, because it is not modelled in 3d and this prevents us from using the separator as the vane that is invisible from the cockpit. But we have the inertial separator (at least its logic) connected to anti icing switch. But only for the left engine (as mentioned earlier).

Couldn't we just have the inertial separator on both engines connected to the proper switch? Without the 3d model? For now.

2 hours ago, jake-m190 said:

Because this is not simulated within the engine model at this time. 

But it is, on the wrong switch.  Just move the code from the intake anti icing feature (make sure to copy it to the right engine too!) to the deflector vane switch.  A bug on top of a bug does not a feature make.

Archived