Make CRJ great again!

Mugz

Hello everyone. I'm almost done CRJ mod, and now i want to ask permission from Aerosoft to make it public available.

For the modification to work, an official purchased aircraft is required. Modification is free and does not require additional purchase.

The modification does not affect the original files and exists as a separate addon. About the same way liveries work.
The list of changes that I have added/changed/fixed is below.

- Added: INGAME Assisted checklist. The implementation is incomplete due to the impossibility of controlling some things on the plane. I am waiting for feedback on what to change or add.
- Added: Switchable pilot/copilot (click airspeed sign over PFD).
- Added: APU heat effect (for temporary Asobo Afterburner Heat FX, custom newone is planed).
- Added: Cockpit displays ambient lights.
- Added: Interactive cursors for all (more than 2pos) switches and knobs.
- Added: Sync lights switches with LAND/TAXI/NAV/BEACON/STROBE ON/OFF keybind (Sometimes it doesn't work as expected or doesn't work at all. Still experimenting. I recommend using ON / OFF binds only. Also, if you turn on the switch with the mouse, then the binds are not synchronized).
- Added: Sync SPEED/ALT/VS knobs with keybinds (Some problems are possible, need to test additionally).
- Changed: Taxi/Landing Lights (brighter).
- Changed: Cockpit panel lights (brighter).
- Changed: All default cockpit cameras (more usable).
- Changed: All swithches/knobs animation now smooth.
- Changed: Sounds for some switches/buttons.
- Changed: Mouse wheel switch behavior. WheelDown - only decrease value, WhelUp - only increase value. LeftButtonClick - toggle state for 2pos switches.
- Changed: Knobs with Push button behavior. In LEGACY interaction - push button now work as before. In LOCK interaction - you may use Aerosoft behavior (RightClick on knob, then LeftClick on button) or Asobo style (LeftClick and Hold on knob, and RightClick for button interaction). I continue to improve the functionality.
- Changed: Pass Sign and ELT switch behavior. There is no difference for the end user, rather an annotation for me.
- Fixed: Missed sound on some knobs/switches
- Fixed: Inverted power switch on Fuel System.
- Fixed: Terrain TILT knob/button.
- Fixed: Buttons RTU1/2 inhibit and Ignition cont. broken animation.

So, @Mathijs Kok, what do you think?

+1 here!   

Aerosoft gents, please take note of this exceptional member of the human species working to improve your product voluntarily! - All you have to do is allow him to publish his mod and you will have acquired an immediate and free boost in overall quality to the CRJ. 

As a fellow flight simulation developer, I can only see this situation as a win-win for everyone concerned.  Please do not make the same mistakes of large companies which due to corporate vanity and business-centric thinking often deny themselves and their customers the boon of free user-made modifications to a product. 

Mods are the best thing any developer can hope for, even a developer of products which are mods in themselves.   

The only thing which could possibly put pause to expediting such efforts may be risk of infringing 3rd party copyrights.  Seeing as how a mod such as this only covers a small set of the products files, there can hardly be any possibility that this could lead to unauthorized redistribution.  Only if a mod included files licensed from parties other than devs, modders and users,  could there ever be any cause for concern.  And even so, a few words between reasonable adults would most likely sort out any such issues if any.

So please, take my word for it as a colleague in the business of making flight simulators:  Nothing is more important than mod support.  Anything that modders need should be treated as a high priority.  These are people who out of pure passionate interest are willing to thank you for letting them work on improving your products for free.

And here all you have to do is say "yes".

Aerosoft Moderators:

I must add my voice to the chorus of customers begging for your approval of @Mugz's mod to the CRJ product line.

I am quite familiar with the quality of @Mugz's work, and have become familiar with him as an individual via different discord channels that we both are members of, and I can think of no better person to actually put forth a quality CRJ modification and do it in a completely altruistic spirit.  @Mugz also has a proven track record of following up with his modifications and updating them as necessary.  Additionally he is always very responsive in responding to requests from the community to correct bugs or make additional enhancements as needed.

Thank you for allowing me to add my voice to the many others already requesting your approval, and I hope that you can approve this quickly so that many in the community can get to sample his exemplary work.

Respectfully,

Kevin Harrington MCDST

Sacramento, CA, USA

Do mods even need approval? There have been others I've seen (grungy textures and fixes for the center knobs) that aren't officially endorsed, as far as I know. I suspect the official policy would be something like "Impressive work, but use at your own risk -- we can't support this." Which is reasonable.

The last time I worked for an addon place, the general policy was "nothing to see here!" and look the other way. Acknowledging something's existence can get you involved in something you have no control over. There is apparently an official update due, so that could get even stickier.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:22 PM, Richard Dastardly said:

The last time I worked for an addon place, the general policy was "nothing to see here!" and look the other way. Acknowledging something's existence can get you involved in something you have no control over. There is apparently an official update due, so that could get even stickier.

What makes you think that there is an official update due? As time goes by I got a feeling that Aerosoft forgot about CRJ already.

18 minutes ago, mhron said:

What makes you think that there is an official update due? As time goes by I got a feeling that Aerosoft forgot about CRJ already.

Mathijs said there's going to be an update:

I second Mugz‘s request…

I use his TBM mod and it really makes that stock plane much more enjoyable.

Why not allow him to do us the same favor with the CRJ?

(Maybe he even manages to finally make those darn rotary push buttons work in VR…)

At the very least, Aerosoft, please work with OP to incorporate the changes he came up with in the original product. What he has done has clearly taken time and effort into significantly improving user experience, and it would be a cost effective implementation to improve user quality of life.

Most of the hard work is done; all that’s needed is basic testing by Aerosoft’s QA team to embed his mod into the original product.

This is getting funny and frankly just a little weird.  First of all, I have no clue if this mod is any good and will in fact make the CRJ greater.  Second of all I have no clue if this mod IS actually the answer to all my life's problems.  However here is what I do know, none of you know either, yet you are clamoring for AS to "embed" this mod in their product?  You all must be new to simulation.  The way mods work is that company A puts out a product.  Could be free or payware, it does not matter.  Someone else, let's call them Supermodder X, puts out a mod to do something like change the color of the toilet in use lamp lights.  We as users read about it and decide if that seems to be something we want to do.  Then we download and install it under the 'use it at your own risk' life clause.  Then about 50% of the people who really wanted to change the color of their lights, complain about the exact shade and demand different options, 30% never install it, and 20% can't figure out how to install it.  Then every time product A gets updated by the original publishing company, Supermodder X has to go out and redo his toilet light mod because he has a bunch of children screaming at him because they "can't possibly go on living without the mod" or "Company A only put out the update to kill the best thing that happened to their product". 

So in short, no one here should be confused about a lack of response.  No, the very least that Aerosoft can do and probably should do, though it's their call, is do what they are doing and in my opinion (not Aerosoft) should be doing. 

In the author's own post he says that some of the mod's don't work half the time.  Most of the other stuff cannot be measured subjectively.  Sound?  You don't know if you will like it, but I guarantee that others won't.  Fixed cameras?  How do you know that HIS camera fix will be what YOU want it to be?  Fix your own cameras.  Just post the mod to fligtsim.to and anyone who wants it can grab it.  However, if you don't like it/it don't work, don't come here complaining.  You can do that on flightsim.to

19 minutes ago, Crabby said:

LOL, I hope you don't turn blue.  

Don't you worry about me, I could not care less about the CRJ, I just enjoy trying out mod that people make during their free time, some of them are truly impressive.

We will get the PMDG 737, Fenix A320 and Inibuild A310 before we are going to see an update from Aerosoft, so no need to hold my breath.

4 minutes ago, bendead said:

Don't you worry about me, I could not care less about the CRJ, I just enjoy trying out mod that people make during their free time, some of them are truly impressive.

We will get the PMDG 737, Fenix A320 and Inibuild A310 before we are going to see an update from Aerosoft, so no need to hold my breath.

That's too bad. Yes some mods, a very few some, are impressive as hell.  Most show their amateur status, and some flat out break the sim or main addon.   I have over 300 hours now in the CRJ.  While I do wait for the 737 from pmdg, as before I will always find ways to fly.  The biggest problems people have with the CRJ is they don't know the aircraft; they think it flies like an Airbus (maybe because it's Canadien).  They can't adjust their sims correctly and they don't read the manuals.  We have already seen updates from Aerosoft.  So, implying they have done nothing is disingenuous at best.  

3 minutes ago, Crabby said:

The biggest problems people have with the CRJ is they don't know the aircraft; they think it flies like an Airbus

For some people I am sure it's the case, but for me is that issue are still present, for exemple:

- Sometime the HDG sync on the flight control panel won't work, no animation, no syncing

- TOD indication on the ND can disappear during flight, it's random

- HUD flight path symbol is also sometime jumping up and down, on stabilise approach, with no wind, same power, same attitude. The HUD was the main selling point for me, I love this tool in the 737 for manual flying.

There are more to go, ILS, certain type of legs during approach, etc..., but I am using the first two features all the time with the CJ4, without any issue for quite a long time and it's free.

6 hours ago, bendead said:

For some people I am sure it's the case, but for me is that issue are still present, for exemple:

- Sometime the HDG sync on the flight control panel won't work, no animation, no syncing

- TOD indication on the ND can disappear during flight, it's random

- HUD flight path symbol is also sometime jumping up and down, on stabilise approach, with no wind, same power, same attitude. The HUD was the main selling point for me, I love this tool in the 737 for manual flying.

There are more to go, ILS, certain type of legs during approach, etc..., but I am using the first two features all the time with the CJ4, without any issue for quite a long time and it's free.

Sure. Unfortunately I don't see anything about that in the mod subject of this post.

16 hours ago, Crabby said:

So in short, no one here should be confused about a lack of response.  No, the very least that Aerosoft can do and probably should do, though it's their call, is do what they are doing and in my opinion (not Aerosoft) should be doing. 

Dude. Relax. I'm not asking to embed the mod into the final product. All I ask is to allow PUBLISHING or not to allow. I do this solely out of respect for Aerosoft. Also, I do not oblige anyone to use the mod.

10 hours ago, Crabby said:

Sure. Unfortunately I don't see anything about that in the mod subject of this post.

My reply was not about if the mod fixed all the bugs. It was more about the fact, that some people might get issues because they don't know how to operate this plane, but also there are experience breaking bugs, that should not be present nearly a year after release.

Archived