ILS LOC tracking issues

FSHomeCockpit

Hello,

So I noticed when flying the CRJ-700 or -900 into KORD that the aircrafts don't track the centerlines of the runways on the ILS. They tend to stay 1 full runway width to the left of the runway. You can see the LOC on the PFD off to the right of center when flying the approach. At first I thought maybe it was the scenery itself (I use the FDDreamteam KORD), but after further testing all other aircraft I've tried (Kodiak, FBW A230NX, JF Piper arrows) track the centerline perfectly so it looks to be an issue with the CRJ not tracking some ILS's correctly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I don't remember this being the case with the CRJ before the last update cycle, but I could be wrong. At other airports like the default KLGA, which I tested last night, the CRJ9 tracked that LOC right down the middle, so I'm not sure where the issues exactly are. Just trying to narrow down if its the CRJ or something else. Thanks. Attached is a picture of the offcenter tracking of the ILS to 9C at KORD in the CRJ9. The main problem with this is in bad weather you end up not aligned right down the runway and on VATSIM the controllers see you off the approach and start to get upset, but nothing I do can get the CRJ to track the LOC correctly here, other than to hand fly the aircraft, which is good visibility is fine, but that isn't obviously always possible.

Please login to display this image.

Also, does the CRJ use the default NAV data for the FMS or a custom database? It is currently out of date compared to real world data. Ex. the KRKEE3 arrival for KABQ is no longer valid, the BRRTO1 is the current arrival, but the BRRTO1 is not in the CRJ's FMS.

Here is another screen shot of the CRJ-900 on the ILS to runway 03 at KABQ, again tracking left of the LOC centerline shown on the PDF. Within the final 2 miles of the runway the aircraft found its way to the runway centerline, but most of the ILS approach it tracked left of the LOC.

Please login to display this image.

So I have to buy updated Navdata for the CRJ? Instead of just using the default AIRAC that is updated and provided for free from Microsoft? Which one do I buy and how often to I have to pay for the update to keep the navdata updated?

I received this reply from the developer of the KORD scenery in regards to the ILS issue with the CRJ, which fits with you telling me the CRJ uses a custom nav database:

Now, I can't possibly say why the ILS works as it should on default A320 (FBW is based on default) and not on Aerosoft. Some 3rd party airplanes use their own internal navigation database instead of relying on the default system so, the data they are using is not even coming from the scenery itself.

With this being said, would updating the CRJ nav data fix this issue with tracking the ILS's at KORD, or would updating just cost me money and the issue would remain? This is an issue I can see with using 3rd party navdata and not the default nav data which is updated and maintained for free by MFS. I find it hard to justify buying any Aerosoft aircraft in the future if these issues can't be fixed in the product I've already paid for, and I'm told I need to spend additional money on other products to get my CRJ working properly.. 

2 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

@FSHomeCockpit both your pictures show the wind coming from the left so I think the CRJ will track the RWY a bit to the left. I suggest you try the same approach (maybe fly a circuit) but with clear weather preset.

That would still be quite an issue though, that is not what the autopilot should do in response to a bit of wind. Should still track the localizer but with a crab angle for the wind.

vor 37 Minuten, CRJay sagte:

That would still be quite an issue though, that is not what the autopilot should do in response to a bit of wind. Should still track the localizer but with a crab angle for the wind.

I know that but I've seen this sort of behaviour also on other PW ACFT and other platform. I just wanted to tell the OP that he might not have an ILS or NAV problem if the ACFT finds the way down to the RWY.

It is not a crosswind problem. I agree with CRJay it should still track dead center on the LOC with a crab angle, and IF it was affected by wind it would be to the downwind side (right) of the LOC, not upwind of it, or in this case, to the left of the LOC, which defies logic based on the slight crosswind coming from the front left. It has to be an issue with the NAV database used by the CRJ, and again, the fact we should be expected to pay MORE for this extra product to fix the CRJ we already paid for is not a good look Aerosoft. And that's if updated Navdata even fixes this. I would think this should be updated for free by Aerosoft in the base product already owned during the next update cycle for the aircraft, which I know Mathijs has said is coming eventally.

6 hours ago, FSHomeCockpit said:

It is not a crosswind problem. I agree with CRJay it should still track dead center on the LOC with a crab angle, and IF it was affected by wind it would be to the downwind side (right) of the LOC, not upwind of it, or in this case, to the left of the LOC, which defies logic based on the slight crosswind coming from the front left. It has to be an issue with the NAV database used by the CRJ, and again, the fact we should be expected to pay MORE for this extra product to fix the CRJ we already paid for is not a good look Aerosoft. And that's if updated Navdata even fixes this. I would think this should be updated for free by Aerosoft in the base product already owned during the next update cycle for the aircraft, which I know Mathijs has said is coming eventally.

Its not a nav data base error on an ILS and you seeing the CDI off...  If it was a Navdata issue (like example PMDG 777 with current AIRAC and then in P3D Stock airport that is like 5 years old and missing the entire runway that I am doing an RNAV to ...  Instead your issue is probably in something else since the the NAV Radio is stock sim ..  and when in an ILS Approach the Default AP is actually engaged ..  this probably has to do with a PID tuning for the AP...  And as for other airplanes..  Specifically the Kodiak there are issue with it and there is a "Mod" on MSFS to fix it.  SWS will make changes in another update...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/kodiak-problems-in-ap-with-ils-and-rnav/484195/94

I think the suggestion to try in Clear weather is not to take Blame away... but to try and address head on if your issue is Nav Data or if your issue is AP Control issues...  I think it is AP control issues.

Just had the same thing happen on approach to RWY 01 at KDCA.  Consistently stayed to the right of centerline.   Aftermarket KDCA but I've flown this approach multiple times with no previous issues. 

Archived