Engine spool time to full power

thokle

Hi there,
this is a bug from day one, but it still hasn't been fixed. I asked several real CRJ pilots at Munich Airport regarding the spool time of the engines until they reach full power. Especially from 70 % N1 the power increase is a way too slow. When taking off without being on the brakes before max. power is reached first at !!! 80 knots !!!. Now I wonder if this is a sim limitation or if I should doubt the beta testing process.

• Upvote 4

On 1/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, thokle said:

Hi there,

Now I wonder if this is a sim limitation or if I should doubt the beta testing process.

Cannot replicate.  I guess I need to doubt your ability to fly or talk to pilots at an airport now? My down vote btw.  I don't to anonymous. 

• Upvote 1

vor 18 Stunden , Crabby sagte:

Cannot replicate.  I guess I need to doubt your ability to fly or talk to pilots at an airport now? My down vote btw.  I don't to anonymous. 

May I also need to doubt your ability to replicate this issue? You do not even have to set up a flight plan in the FMC to replicate. Downvotes are also something for sissies.

1 hour ago, thokle said:

May I also need to doubt your ability to replicate this issue? You do not even have to set up a flight plan in the FMC to replicate. Downvotes are also something for sissies.

Touche.  I meant to put "anonymous" in my signature.  Thanks for catching that.  No you may not doubt my ability to replicate.  I have over 400 hours in this aircraft.  I also never even mentioned a flight plan or FMC so don't know where that came from.  However, again, props where deserved.  Good catch on anonymous. 

• 6 months later...

Because I never got a response from the devs on this one, let's bring it up again with some videos.

@CrabbyLet's keep our saltiness back in January and take a look what I mean. Please also check my signature, Mark. :)

1. Watch right at the beginning of the video how quickly the thrust is set and stable:

2. Also take a look here how fast the engine respond and the take off thrust is set:

3. Now take a look how long it takes until the Aerosoft CRJ has set its TO thrust.

@metzgergvaplease give us your statement on this.

That's actually a pretty good catch; I never realized how slow the N1 was to set until I watched those videos.

Come to think of it, since the CRJ turbofans are really small, they should generally be able to approach steady state much faster than larger turbofans (e.g., those on an A340 or 747)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I can absolutely replicate.

I've been saying this for a while. The engine logic on the Aerosoft CRJ is much too slow and underpowered.

The IRL starter motor spins the N2 MUCH faster from stop to 20%. Fuel flow logic is too high. ITTs do not register when taking the thrust lever from cutoff to idle. Spin up from 20% to 50% N2 is too slow to the point its technically a hung start.

Power output is in the sim is abysmally low. A fully laden CRJ900 IRL can begin moving at 75% N1 on one engine and will hold and indeed slowly accelerate with that one engine at idle. With two engines at idle the CRJ will accelerate quite rapidly and requires idle reversers to stop the acceleration or ride the brakes. The Aerosoft model constantly requires a high power setting just to taxi

Spool time in flight is very slow. IRL standing the throttles to 70% N1 on the brakes and going TOGA, you're at flex N1 before you hit 30 knots. They are VERY responsive engines.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember someone at Justflight saying engine response in RPM ranges was backwards in the stock code, but no idea if the CRJ uses it's own or no. Or whether that was true, even ( although I don't know why they'd make it up ).