P3Dv5 add-on executables - can they be assigned an Affinity Mask?

Ray Proudfoot

@Capt. PERO,

The latest version of P3D v5.3 has a new section in the prepar3d.cfg for [JobScheduler]. This allows P3D to be assigned to specific cores acccording to the CPU used. The recommendation from Rob Ainscough is to keep the cores P3D uses away from the OS. Third party executables should also be assigned to separate core(s) and I use SimStarterNG Run section to do this.

I have assigned things as follows to my i7-8086K 6 core CPU without HT enabled...

Core 0 - OS

Cores 1-4 - P3D

Core 5 - Third-party programs such as ASP3D, ChasePlane, LittleNavConnect, Aivlasoft EFB Server.

This works very well but there is one area I have no control over. Executables launched via Add-On.cfg are automatically assigned to all cores. To change this I have to select each one in Task Manager and change the Affinity Mask to core 5.

Could you please consider adding functionality to allow those executables launched via Add-On.cfg to be assigned to a specific core(s). Thanks.

• Developer

Ray,

I am not sure if I get you wrong as I don't know an relevant add-on that uses the "EXE" category of an add-on.xml file to be started. Starting application from add-on.cfg is onknown to me.

You might talk about third party software that will be started from SIMstarter NG P3D - yes you can assign affinity to all applications that will be started from SIMstarter - works the same as using Process Lasso. The only thing is, SIMstarter can not set the affinity of software which is already running and has not been started from SIMstarter.

Please login to display this image.

Hope that helps.

Hello Peter,

On reflection the complexity of how these few executables are managed doesn't really justify the work required to handle how they are processed by SimStarterNG.

There is a reference in the add-on.cfg which points to another file from which the executable is listed. One is SODE which I'm sure you're aware of. Its impact on P3D is probably very small anyway.

Others point to executables associated with programs from AIG (Ai aircraft) and again, how much they impact on performance is unknown.

Sorry to have bothered you. I do use the Run function to assign an AM to those programs listed.

• Developer

Hello Ray,

no problem - thanks for asking. All apps that are started from an add-on.xml will be handled by PREPAR3D. But I may be a good feature request to LM asking them to add a affinity parameter in the add-on.xml file for each application.

55 minutes ago, Capt. PERO said:

Hello Ray,

no problem - thanks for asking. All apps that are started from an add-on.xml will be handled by PREPAR3D. But I may be a good feature request to LM asking them to add a affinity parameter in the add-on.xml file for each application.

That's a good idea, thanks! I will post on their forum.

Archived