CRJ Sounds - Part Duex: CRJ Sound Pack

jay jay

I'd like to revisit this subject, especially since the last thread on this went a bit off the rails.    Before it was locked, someone posted a link to a pretty impressive soundpack for the CRJ:

Just wondering if anyone has used this mod and if so, does it "play nice" with the rest of the sim (including not overiding sounds not provided in the mod such as cabin announcements, etc)?    Also, for some reason, this guy never posts videos that include the take-off / landing sounds.    To me, those are the two areas that the stock sim is lacking.   If anyone has this mod installed, what are your thoughts on those particular sounds?  Does he do a good job of replicating the bumps and rattles while taking off, plus the sounds of landing such as the reversers kicking in?

Any info on this would be very welcome. 

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

It is an impressive soundkit, but I doubt the person who made it has a lot of actual experience with how the aircraft sounds from the flight deck.

This is the biggest problem with the subjectivity of sounds.  The Threshold series of 737's just got released with it's own sound pack.  The long time Zibo flyers are upset that the cockpit is so quiet.  If you have ever flown in an airliner cockpit, it is pretty quiet.  The engines are way behind you, the apu is on or near the tail.  Other than some ground roll, the sounds of switches/warnings and wind on the screen, not much is happening.  Add on to that those pilots fly with headsets of some type and sounds are pretty isolated.  I fly with my boss in his Eclipse, and we use Bose noise cancelling headsets.  We only really hear ATC, our voices and notifications pumped into the sound system.  

The sound sets above are nice, but most seem to be taken from outside the aircraft and manipulated to be used in the cockpit.  Here's the deal.  If you like them use them.  If you don't, don't.  Life is simple when you don't try to complicate it.  

Just my personal impression and 2ct...

Since I don't realy sit in a real airplane and don't feel my butt (or body) pushed to the back or sides or whatever, I personaly tend to like overdone sounds because thats the only thing that gives me the sense of power, acceleration, etc.

I realy can't imagine a real soundkit where everything is dull or muted and only ATC can be heard. And yes I like to hear noises that are not there in real like spooling up of some stupid fans or ...you name it...

So basicaly I do like the sondkit but I think that the actual one is good enough not to temper it with 3rd party kits.

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

It is an impressive soundkit, but I doubt the person who made it has a lot of actual experience with how the aircraft sounds from the flight deck.

But this is where you are also mostly just making guesses. You have stated multiple times that you can't hear certain things in the CRJ, that I can hear daily on the actual CRJ flightdeck, with a Bose A20 ANR headset on.

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

I fly with my boss in his Eclipse, and we use Bose noise cancelling headsets.  We only really hear ATC, our voices and notifications pumped into the sound system.  

That's because the Eclipse is powered by a hair dryer ;) :P .

So, to sum up everyone.  Sound sets are subjective.  Aircraft developers should put most of their time into the aircraft.  If they produce an outstanding soundtrack to go with it, great.  If not to someone's liking, others will, and we can choose to download/pay and install them or not.  God, I love capitalism.

5 hours ago, CRJay said:

But this is where you are also mostly just making guesses. You have stated multiple times that you can't hear certain things in the CRJ, that I can hear daily on the actual CRJ flightdeck, with a Bose A20 ANR headset on.

That's because the Eclipse is powered by a hair dryer ;) :P .

So I'm going to do the soundpack.   Even if the flight deck is dead quiet (if you are wearing a pair of $1,000 Bose noise cancelling headphones), which I'm not sure is even the case given the comment above, I still want a "heavier" sound mix since that is one of the primary queues I'm getting for acceleration and thrust settings.  Plus, those CF34's just sound so awesome at high power settings. 

Thanks for the good info everyone! 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived