Better late than never....

Svenks

So, we are ready to cross India, starting jan 14th.

To stay as close as I can to mr Foggs route, methinks the routing will be

VABB-VAID-VAJB-VEAB (alt VEBN, as VEAB is unlit)-VECC  

At least, the shape of the route looks like the one on the map:)

Until Thursday, BRGDS

Sven

On 1/9/2022 at 1:58 PM, pa4tim said:

I do not know D, the first thing I do in a sim is to delete all keybindings so I do not get conflicts with my hardware. I have a very bad memory so I do not use keybindings. I have a DIY 30 key panel that I build with the reuse of a keyboard controller. I have labeled them with things that control plugins I use in every aircraft and the 1-9 windows, map, kneeboard etc. I use 5 throttle units for all sort of axis, a yoke, a joystick, A DIY box with 6 sliderpots, and a 10 turn precision potentiometer with a 10 cm disk for pitchtrim.  And all the hardware has switches too but I only use some of them because I have Xkeys for Xplane and the 30 key matrix for p3d.

Well, D resets the Gyro Compass. The reason I was asking is because I ran into this issue a number of years back, where my aircraft flew 180 degrees off course. That was using the autopilot, but since it is not an autopilot but a gyro issue, resetting the Gyro Compass should help. Maybe try it next time you have the issue.

BRGDS

Sven  

Thanks for the tip. I wonder of Xplane has that possibility also, because my Just Flight BAe-146 sometimes has a very big difference between de FMS and radio navigation. In those cases the radio navigation was correct.

Note to self:

Double check to see if the runway is lit!

As you can guess, VAJB is NOT lit! Only lights are the green/white beacon...

As luck would have it, I had not canceled my IFR and thus I got nice vectors to the runway. Not exactly the approach I had requested (VORDME 06), but close enough. Also, there was plenty ambient light and the haze that ASP had predicted stayed away. Touchdown with hardly a squeek (that looks wrong, but you know what I mean)!

57min for 237 nm.

/Sven

Another day, more legs - well, at least 1 as I am a bit busy.

I go for Jalalabad (VEAB) since it is mentioned in the book, and I think I have enough time go get there while it is daylight. VEAB is not lighted, in fact, it is a small airport.

In case of problems (daylight, bad weather) I will divert to VEBN, as per my original plan.

164 nm coming up!

/Sven

That was interesting....

No problems with light or anything, but there was quite a bit of clouds and turbulence!

Still, safely down only to finde that there is no avgas here (but I knew that). Off to find some guy with a canister or two...

164 nm in 41min.

After refuelling, on to VECC, 404 nm

/Sven

Now that was a first. This time I again elected to not cancel IFR (as it is night!).

I had received to approach instructions to VECC some time ago, had just ACK a left turn and then POW! IFR Cancelled / no explanation / no clue!

And of course landing request was refused due to IFR only!

But would that stop Phileas Fogg? Of course not, so here I am at VECC after having done the 404 nm in 1hr 18min. Nice tailwind, precious!

Screenie just after takeoff from VEAB. Love the sunset and the cloud depiction!

2117742725_Screenshot(14).thumb.png.cdc4ad7c0aa9a6bc6720a3e7a0d66e79.png

• Like 2

Next segment, Calcutta to Hong Kong coming up. Quite a few legs here, tentative routing:

VECC VYTD VYDW VTSP WMKK WSSS WMKN VVCS VVTH ZJSY VHHH

First up is VECC-VYTD (Thandwe), 414 nm, est 1hr 10min

EDIT: New procedure...

From now on, I will edit my start-of-leg post to report the outcome, as I feel I have far too many short posts. So:

Safely down in VYTD after 1hr 23min. No fuel to be had, so I have to scrounge something up.

But I do have a very nice screenie of the Ganges Delta in moonlight:

1186029775_Screenshot(16).thumb.png.12a9eaaa3407b41214730c2b46bf6798.png

BRGDS

Sven

My plan said VYDW, but I also said: Double-check lights on the next leg.

Well, Dawei has no lights, so I may have to press on to VYME (Myeik)

VYDW is 345nm, VYME is 439nm. But the winds are OK, I should be fine.

Onwards and upwards...

EDIT: And down at VYME after 1hr 38min. It would probably have been OK to land at VYDW as the moon was full and not a lot of clouds, but since it would have cost a lot of fuel to make the approach and THEN find out I couldn't see a thing...

Well, the less miles to fly tomorrow :)

Off to find some gas - again...

/Sven

I am also struggling with the planning, 1776nm in 14 days, there are not enough airports in China suited for an airliner to fill those 14 days. I try to make legs that are around 250 to 350nm a day. I think I fly each leg twice, once in Xplane and once in p3d

19 hours ago, pa4tim said:

I am also struggling with the planning, 1776nm in 14 days, there are not enough airports in China suited for an airliner to fill those 14 days. I try to make legs that are around 250 to 350nm a day. I think I fly each leg twice, once in Xplane and once in p3d

Twice!!!???

Man, you will sure log some flying hours... :)

BRGDS

Sven

Another day....

Short leg VYME-VTSP, 260nm. It is still daylight, so maybe I get to see Phuket International in daylight.

I know this airport,have been there twice - and would love to go again, once Corona is history!

EDIT: Short leg, but the winds were not totally in my favor. Still, I guess I have been lucky so far.

Safely in Phuket, 1hr 03mins.

Borderland  Myanmar/Thailand. This screenshot also shows my setup. I use 3 monitors, where the center is P3D (of course) and the left are instruments I have undocked as they are hopeless to work in VC. The right monitor shows Little Navmap and ASP3D. Both of these programs run in a Virtual Machine on a Windows Server 2019 machine, and I use RDP/Remote App to display and operate them.

171506285_Screenshot(20).thumb.png.f763be810a938fd7a578ef9c10f6cf66.png

2nd screenie show a very nice sunset approach into Phuket Intl.

1530062707_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.f04a14ab604c083967d4a01cc3161e8a.png

BRGDS

Sven

Next leg VTSP-WMKK, 383 nm. Slight detour to fly past Kamala Beach, one of my favourite places in the real world :)

EDIT: Well, I knew Kuala Lumpur would be busy - but this was insane! ATC had me flying halfway to Singapore (almost), and nor intention of turning me onto final. Diverted to Malacca (WMKM) only to find... you guessed it: No Fuel!

Well we do have our methods.

425nm, took me 1hr 32mins...

/Sven

Had to adjust my flight plan, as I had a combination of short and longer legs as well as an unlit airport in my current plan.

Also, I need to think more about the winds, as they are no longer completely in my favour.

So, as of today, my route to Hong Kong looks like: WMKM WSSS WMKN VVTS VVTH ZJSY VHHH.

As the first leg to Changi is short, I'll probably skip the landing in Singapore and move on to Sultan Mahmud before crossing over to Vietnam - but no corner cutting at Singapore!

WMKM via WSSS to WMKN is 117+247nm.

See you there :)

EDIT: Uneventful flight, 1hr 19 mins.

BRGDS

Sven

Morning, Gents (and Gals, if any...)

Slight change in the flight plan, VVTH is out, VVCR is in - simply to keep closer to the coast, as mr. Fogg was sailing...

So the rest of the way to Hong Kong should be: VVTS-VVCR-ZJSY-VHHH.

And with that, off to VVCR 166nm

EDIT: Extremely uneventful flight (Read: boring...). 0hr 42min

/Sven

No time to dawdle :)

Fuel stop, then on to Sanya, China (ZJSY).

379 NM

EDIT: Nice flight, no remarks :) , took 1hr 22min

But this place need some more lights. Not the airport, but the whole island in general and the city in particular. Because this is a gambling town, and it is not about to let Las Vegas run with all the glory!

How do I know? I've actually been to Sanya on a cruise, back in 2015. If I had a dollar for each individual LED, I wouldn't need to gamble...

Take a look at this video...

BRGDS

Sven