We are looking for two additional A330 pilots to join our advisory team.  We will ask for credentials (sorry for that), but if you are willing to assist contact us on mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com

Better late than never....

Svenks

And that's a wrap! Very smooth ride and approach, what a contrast to my previous one at OEAB!

I even took my time to add in 2 waypoints to take me around the corner instead of crossing it. 382nm, 1hr 19min

Around the corner:

604840060_Screenshot(9).thumb.png.d501bb8e1842638fa0f5202dff57c11d.png

Approach ILS 08 in sunset

519181011_Screenshot(8).thumb.png.a73170ffbb6fad4618a1531b00bc239f.png

BRGDS

Sven

• Like 1

Good to hear I was not the only one with bad weather, smart move to divert, I did not do it but even my L049 Constellation was tossed around like a 172. You are also lucky there is no room for whining and screaming pax in a P38 (My favorite WW2 plane)

Decisions, decisions...

Do I stay with the pre-1970 P-38 and do a lot of shorter legs to get to Bombay?

- or -

Do I follow the route from the novel more closely and fly direct?

P-38: 

Pro: It was my original intention

Con: We are talking a lot of legs here and some of those may be streching the range of the P-38 - UNLESS I switch to the stock version and add external tanks.But again, NO autopilot!

FSlabs A319 (which is really the only alternative I have installed AND is familiar with!):

Pro: One leg is all it takes, and it does follow the steamboat route! Also, I know that the transoceanic legs will be flown by modern aircraft (ie PMDG 747).

Con: This isn't really Pre-1970. Also, I do wonder if Aden's runway is long enough for take-off.

I did try the builtin Lockheed Constellation, but that seems too big a handful. Also the autopilot is really only a heading keeper, and I haven't flown the crate earlier = in for nastry surprises?

Well, the rules says: No shortcuts, but follow the route as much as possible. So no help here...

BRGDS

Sven

Well, the decision was taken out of my hands - or at least, postponed.

Turns out that my Airbuses were not updated to latest version of P3D....

After sacrificing the usual goat or two, I did manage to load the crate and all seemed fine.... But I had forgotten that I use a very special throttle setup (involving a LUA script), and THAT was not in place.

So for now, I will continue along the coast, OYAA to OYRN, then on to OOSA. There I wil make th decision, which also depends on whether or not I can reach the next airport OOMA in daylight, as that is an unlit runway.

If I can, then it will be the long way OOMA-OOMS-OPPI-OPKC-VABB.

Otherwise, it will be OOSA-VABB, when I get my act (and LUA scripts together) :)

BRGDS

Sven

5 hours ago, pa4tim said:

An alternative could be the C130 Hercules. Can cope with short runways and has more range

Sure, looked at it too.

But I've never flown it, so this might not be the best of times to try it out.

But thanks for the input!

BRGDS

Sven

My, the weather in the Gulf Region....

The runway at OOSA is at 70 degr mag. The wind evolved to 360/26, gusting to 36!

Still it went better than expected (I didn't see gusts above 27 either).

Safely down after 306 nm and 1hr 2min.

Let's see what tomorrow brings, weatherwise: Will it be OOMA and the long way around, or direct VABB, assuming I get my stuf sorted out?

We'll see...

BRGDS

Sven

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 8:32 PM, Jeff W said:

Lockheed 38L, Did you hear my last transmission?

Seems like someone was busy flying the plane.   Glad you were able to acknowledge the landing clearance.

Hi Jeff

That was not the busy approach, but I must admit I was a little slow to ACK the clearance. Yes, I do fly with P3D's ATC on, just to keep me on my toes.

Mind you, I cancel the IFR clearance when I get to cruise altlitude (or before). I do want to make my own approach, at my own ROD and course :)

/Sven

Still pretty high winds, but nothing compared to yesterday!

Safely down at OOMA. 1hr 08min

But there is no fuel to be had, so I guess I have to convince someone, that this being a military base, and the P-38 being a military plane  (sort of) - Could I have some gas, please?

I've decided to skip OOMS, as the winds seems very favourable for the longer trip directly to OOPI.

Off to get fuel...

/Sven

Safely down in OPPI.

Strange, how these flights differ. The 2 last ones had somewhat heavy crosswinds, here I had 225/06 for a RWY 24 landing.

401 NM in 1hr 18min

/Sven

On 1/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, pa4tim said:

I do the same, to much workload if you only handfly and the one time I tried more they wanted me to fly  a 180 degrees difference from my flightplan. 

Did you remember to press "D"?

/Sven

17 minutes ago, Svenks said:

Did you remember to press "D

I do not know D, the first thing I do in a sim is to delete all keybindings so I do not get conflicts with my hardware. I have a very bad memory so I do not use keybindings. I have a DIY 30 key panel that I build with the reuse of a keyboard controller. I have labeled them with things that control plugins I use in every aircraft and the 1-9 windows, map, kneeboard etc. I use 5 throttle units for all sort of axis, a yoke, a joystick, A DIY box with 6 sliderpots, and a 10 turn precision potentiometer with a 10 cm disk for pitchtrim.  And all the hardware has switches too but I only use some of them because I have Xkeys for Xplane and the 30 key matrix for p3d.

Time to try Bombay...

This is a lengthy leg, but the winds seems ok at FL250. Also, I discovered that even if this is a civilian aircraft, I have been lugging 350 pounds of cannon and ammo around...

Wish me luck!

/Sven

...aaand down at Mumbai, with some ijit shouting at me, that the airport was IFR only...

- and an Airbus and a 757 close on my heels. One of them had to go around, but not because of me!

1hr 31mn, great tailwind and a groundspeed around 380/390. Aboiut 22% fuel left, so i am getting better at this aircraft...

/Sven