Better late than never....

Svenks

Hi All

Had a busy Christmas, so I'm only now able to begin this adventure. Also, I wanted to fly a P-38 as much as possible, but the stock P3D does not have an autopilot :(

Fortunately I was able to convert another P-38, the Milviz Red Bull racer to P3Dv5.3 - and it is all right - not great, but all right. The plan is to have it taken apart for the long leg and put on a PMDG Freighter:)

Simulator: P53D v5.3, weather ASP3D

And with that, on to my first leg, EGLC-LFPO

BRGDS

Sven Sorensen

EKCH

• Like 2

Hi Jeff

I see a lot of the gang here. Major reason why I jumped in :)

I guess the P-38 is really no surprise, I have always liked it. But the hoops I had to jump to get it in the sim? Yikes!

Good to see you too :)

BRGDS

Sven

And safe in Basel after 52 minutes.

There are some mountains on last part of the flight, so you better take care not to get too low. Fortunately, there were only scattered clouds.

That's it for today - time to hit the sack!

BRGDS

Sven

• Like 1

Well, THAT was...educational!

You know, we do tend to spend too much time on autopilot. You should try this...

But for your own sake, choose a short leg. I really did have my hands full here, what with crosswinds and turbulence. On top of that>

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE HELL THE CARBURETTOR HEAT IS ON THIS CRATE???

I thought i ran out of fuel in the selected tank, but it was probably ice since it promptly died again after tank switch, once I reached 12000 ft.

To top it off, this crate does not land as nicely as the racer (this one is more realistic), so I did more than one landing, over shot the runway and eneded up VERY close to the cliff after the runway.

Managed to pull back (barely) and taxied to the fuel spot in good order.

This was some flight!

166NM, should have taken 36 minutes, took 46:45 with all my excursions.

Brgds

Sven  

• Like 1

Good thing I did not try this leg without autopilot. Not only was it quite a bit longer, but I also ran into moderate turbulence due to thunderclouds. This would have been some fight!

Well, I am here at HEPS after 1hr 33mins.

Happy New Year

Sven

Wonderful to see the legendary P-38 pilot back in action. Look forward to seeing you at the bar...

One piece of advice that I shall always remember. When landing a Concorde on a short runway in Patagonia, it is dangerous to ignore a modest eight knots tailwind.

-Mike

On 12/31/2021 at 8:13 PM, MM said:

Wonderful to see the legendary P-38 pilot back in action. Look forward to seeing you at the bar...

One piece of advice that I shall always remember. When landing a Concorde on a short runway in Patagonia, it is dangerous to ignore a modest eight knots tailwind.

-Mike

Hi Mike

Great to "see" you again!

As for the piece of advice - yes, there's a lesson I'll never forget. Boy, it cost us!

But I do miss flying the Concorde, up to the point that I'm considering re-installing FSX just to be able to fly it!

Take care, and a Happy New year to you and your family!

BRGDS

Sven 

Safely down at OEJN. Took me longer to taxi to the fuel pit than the actual flight (well, almost :))

Time 1hr 12min.

EDIT: The next leg is OEJN-OEAB, but OEAB is close to 7000ft up and there are thundershowers in the area.

Plus, it is dark now and sightseeing IS more fun if you can see what you're doing. Hopefully tomorrow...

BRGDS

Sven

Wow....

That was exiting! Had to divert to OEGN, as the weather deteriorated rapidly near OEAB.

Thundershowers and heavy turbulence. The P-38 is a sturdy plane, but I was still all over the place. Not worth it, I decided and went for OEGN instead.

286NM in 1hrs 21min.

Apparently, this kind of weather is common in these parts. Many years ago, I was flying for Team AVSIM in the Round the World Race (RTWR). That was the year of the very controversial Special Rule, that disallowed flights that exceed 10000ft in half the world. Now THAT was flying!

Anyway, I had the baton and was flying a P-51H in these parts, and very soon after takeoff I ran into thundershowers, and the poor P-51 was really thrown around. Forget about autopilot there!

Also forget about autopilot too, when you later find yourself navigating through the valleys of these mountains, trying to stay below 10000....

Fortunately, the weather had improved significantly, or it would have gone bad!

BRGDS

Sven