PUK's "Around The World in 80 Days"

Puk

Afbeelding2.jpg?raw=1

Thanks Mathijs for the invitation to join this huge event, which I gladly except. 

In remembrance of the London-to-Christchurch air race of october 1953 in which KLM took part in the handicap section with its brand-new DC6A Liftmaster, it felt a good idea to take out the MSFS DC6B Cloudmaster from KLM, the socalled  Flying Dutchman "Petrus Plancius" PH-DFI.

As opposed to the passengers of the DCA liftmaster from 1953 (under which 24 "brides" that were to get married in New Zealand), the passenger seats will be empty all the way. Apart from the seats, that are replaced with comfortable beds for members of the crew (with an average age of 72), we've installed a rich filled bar and a movie theatre.

01.jpg?raw=1

While the mechanics are very busy preparing the plane for this huge challenge, I did spend quite some time planning the different route, which can be changed depending on various factors, like wind, temperature etc and more important the maintenance of the engines, I've come up with this preliminary routes:

1. London EGLC - Marseille (LFML)

2. Marseille (LFML) - Athens (LGAV)

3. Athens (LGAV) - Port Said (HEPS)

4. Port Said (HEPS) - Mumbai (VABB)

5. Mumbai (VABB) - Calcutta (VECC)

6. Calcutta (VECC) - Bangkok (VTBD)

7. Bangkok (VTBD) - Hongkong (VHHH)

8 Hongkong (VHHH) - Shanghai (ZSSS)

9. Shanghai (ZSSS) - Yokohama (RJTT)

10. Yokohama (RJTT) - Adak (PADK)

11. Adak (PADK) - Rogue Valley (KMFR)

12. Rogue Valley (KMFR) - San Francisco (KSFO)

13. San Francisco (KSFO) - Chicago (KMDW)

14. Chicago (KMDW) - New York City (KJFK)

15 New York City (KJFK) - Halifax (CYHZ)

16. Halifax (CYHZ) - St. John's (CYYT)

17. St. John's (CYYT) - Shannon (EINN)

18. Shannon (EINN) - Heathrow (EGLL)

03.jpg?raw=1

to be continued...

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mathijs; good to notice you appreciate my efforts.

Ten long hours it took me today to fly the first leg. Not as planned before to Marseille, but linea recta to Caïro. In preparating the flight I game across a very suitable wind condition at 18000 feet almost all the way. 47 to 65 kts tailwind should have made the trip a lot more faster than the 10 hours (from engine start to shutdown) it finally took me. Unfortenately I had to divert to LGIR and made a stopover to solve some "minor" technical problems, among which a nonfunctional first engine. 

Now that I'm in Caïro already, I'll have plenty of time to work on my logbook... and will try to finish some of those delighted refreshments I bought in London😉.

On 12/26/2021 at 1:41 PM, pa4tim said:

Do you draw those yourself ? If so, very impressive.

Thanks for the compliment. When - or, not most likely, if - I've succeeded to finish this event and therefore my logbook, I'll explain how I made these drawings in "how it's made"!

... and sorry for my late reaction.

22 hours ago, Puk said:

Thanks for the compliment. When - or, not most likely, if - I've succeeded to finish this event and therefore my logbook, I'll explain how I made these drawings in "how it's made"!

... and sorry for my late reaction.

Thanks, hope you make it. (I like drawing myself too but pen/inkt) Your style looks familiar. Do you have a connection with tin-tin 

My connection with Tintin is no more or less than that I've followed every of his adventures in the past, when I was young.😣 Don't pick them of the shell  lately. Love Hergé's drawing style and humor though.

Couldn't resist it, but with which one of these devices do you control your flight simulator? 😁

lab_jan_2015klein.jpg?raw=1

Couldn't resist it, but with which one of these devices do you control your flight simulator?

All off them, (Nowadays I have 2 benches in there and an other one in an other room  (I repair electronics for a living) 🙂

I have a few tin tin (Kuifje in Dutch) but I have all Guust Flaters and Asterix and Obelisk but I do not know the non-dutch names. 

I also like tandy and lavandure, 2 jet fighter pilots

Curious me... I looked up your website "PA4Tim's opvangtehuis voor buizenbakken". That's quite impressive... have no idea what's it all about.... but still.

I noticed that you're a big fan of comic books. By the way Guust Flater was translated in English under the name: "Gomer Goof". Original it's a French strip called "Gaston Lagaffe".

Nevertheless in what language, Guus, Goof or Gaston keeps on screwing things up.

Groetjes

I collect old measurement and calibration instrument. That is, it started like that, most stuff was given to me but most times dead as a dodo or at least needed work. I became rather good at repairing I am a HAM radio amateur and at first I used the repaired gear to restore old tube equipped radios and transceivers. Then a friend moved to an other country and gave me an car full of test gearso I could use the parts to build things, all dead and beyond repair. I only had the usual stuff ( like a scope, DMM, Lab PSU)

So I did not use them for parts but repaired them. And then a friend made a website for me and then people started mailing me they had gear that was defect but to special to throw away, and then they also started bringing good stuff. Then I got the whole calibration lab from a Dutch aircraft control department. And then a cal lab called me if could repair a Fluke calibrator. I did and he started telling other companies and before I new it I was a repair company. 

Very intersting to read how a hobby becomes a company. I now understand what all those devices are for, though I still haven't got a glue which one does what. But that's because it's not entirely my cup of tea. 

So both of us are a little unfimiliar with each others business, hobby activities. What does unite us, is the love of aviation, I guess.