Indrajit & Pippin's Journal

Indrajit Sen Gupta

Earth Date 2021.12.17, 1900 hrs.

As I sit sipping my tea, a sudden email catch my attention. The title says Around the World in 80 days. Intrigued, I open it and find a chance to be part of something special. An attempt to recreate the voyages of Mr Phileas Fogg - a voyage to circumvent the Earth in 80 days in air! The adventure is tempting - can I do it? Who knows. It will require significant planning and time. I check the schedule and the stops. I remember reading the novel multiple times as a kid - wishing I had been in those voyages. I look at my pet cat (Pippin) and ask - "how would you like to join me for a trip around the world?". He just yawns and curls back into his bed... as if to say.. do what your heart desires - as long as I get my food and you scratch me behind my ear whenever I want. I shake my head and read the rules and regulations. Doesn't seem to restrictive. It would be fun as long as my cat doesn't suddenly decide to fly the plane himself. Using the CJ4 (yeah have to get my airlines company to sponsor me) will definitely give me the hours I want on my log book. For short flights I might look for a Piper Arrow III, my favorite GA. Have been transporting lots of passengers on a Turbo Arrow and it is a joy to fly. Wish me and my cat luck on this great adventure!

Earth Date 2021.12.17, 1935 hrs

My decision to take up the challenge with my cat has caused significant excitement in my community. It amazed me how fast news could spread. Within minutes of making the announcement, colleagues have started emailing me to send picture of my cat. Knowing how much cat loves attention, I was happy to comply and share a pic.

pippin1.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Indrajit's Log, Earth Date 2021.12.19, 1247 hrs.

We are currently cruising somewhere over middle east at an altitude of 32,000 ft on our British Airways flight. Our destination London, Heathrow. We have a few days in hand to prepare our flight plans. My co-pilot Pippin has shared an online link which has listed all the cities where Mr. Phileas Fogg had visited. In a short, we want to traverse the cities as closely as possible:

1 London – Paris – Turin – Brindisi by rail and boat.

2 Brindisi – Suez – Aden – Bombay by steamer.

3 Bombay through Allahabad to Calcutta by rail.

4 Calcutta through Singapore to Hong Kong by steamer.

5 Hong Kong – Shanghai – Yokohama by steamer.

6 Yokohama to San Francisco by steamer.

7 San Francisco – New York by rail

8 New York – Dublin by steamer

9 Dublin – Liverpool by ferry

10 Liverpool – London by rail 

Obviously we won't be using rail or boat. I plan to prepare the first part of the journey from London to Suez while on this flight and post it once we reach our hotel. I hope I won't be too jet lagged.

• Root Admin
10 hours ago, Indrajit Sen Gupta said:

We are currently cruising somewhere over middle east at an altitude of 32,000 ft on our British Airways flight. Our destination London, Heathrow.

Transport will be waiting for you and a suite has been booked in the Reform club.

• Like 1

@rusty1946 Understandable, who could resist those eyes? Maybe only dog lovers like @G.Boer. You should make Casper your navigator, dogs are better at that than in technical things. My sister once had a Leonberger. When she got a baby, she had to give him away. Two weeks later this smart dog walked more than 150km back to her. Cheech and Chong wouldn't be able to. Too much catnip I guess (like their human namesake 🙂).

@Indrajit Sen Gupta Your diary has a great chance of winning a prize, because animal pictures are very popular. 

• Upvote 1

Capt. Pippin's Log,  Cat Date (Yeah since the world revolves round us) 2021.12.20, 1612 hrs (Cat time)

Having got a chance to finally enter something in this journal of ours, I want to set a few records straight. My co-pilot Indrajit had to take my permission to embark on this voyage regardless of what he may have informed everyone till now. He thinks he is in charge...well only time will tell. I am delighted to meet so many of my animal friends Cheech, Chong, Casper, et. al., on this big adventure of ours. I wish them all the best and have dropped separate communications to them - to have a say on all decisions regarding their trips. My lazy co-pilot keeps putting off the planning part so I had to go ahead prepare some schedules on my own. Our plan for the first part will be as follows:

Part 1. London – to – Suez

Leg 1: London Heathrow Airport (EGLL) – Paris Orly Airport (LFPO)

Route: MODM1K MODMI UM185 MID L151 SITET UN859 LGL A34 BOBSA BOBS9E

Approx Distance: 291 NM

Altitude: FL430

Flight Time: 1 hr 15 min

Leg 2: Paris Orly Airport (LFPO) – Turin Airport (LIMF)

Route: BAXI9F BAXIR A6 DJL A1 SPR Z64 MOLUS VALOR MOBLO UM135 LURAG M135 VEROB VERO3B

Approx Distance: 346 NM

Flight Time: 1 hr 30 min

Leg 3: Turin Airport (LIMF) – Perugia/S.Francesco Airport (LIRZ)

Route: GEN5M GEN LOMED Z910 VERUN Q25 LAKOX LAKO1A

Approx Distance: 260 NM

Flight Time: 1 hr 20 min

Leg 4: Perugia/S.Francesco Airport (LIRZ) – Brindisi/Casale Airport (LIBR)

Route: KATA7G KATAR L865 ANC L612 DOLON DOLO2Y

Approx Distance: 342 NM

Flight Time: 1 hr 30 min

Leg 5: Brindisi/Casale Airport (LIBR) –  Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (LGIR)

Route: TIGRA UL995 KRK ARA UL612 TRL OTREX OTRE3A

Approx Distance: 521 NM

Flight Time: 1 hr 50 min

Leg 6: Nikos Kazantzakis Airport (LGIR) – Cairo Intl. Airport (HECA)

Route: SIT3T SIT UL607 PAXIS A727 MENKU

Approx Distance: 453 NM

Leg 7: Cairo Intl. Airport (HECA) – El Tor Airport (HETR)

Route: SOLAM

Approx Distance: 453 NM

I will be posting more details soon. Nothing gets done around here in time unless I use my sharp claws... 

Capt. Pipping signing off for now.

Pippin2.png

• Like 2

On 21.12.2021 at 21:33, pestridge77 sagte:

ah, all these furry friends are adorable, I will have to try and get some pussy to come with me around the world as well LOL

In this case I can recommend you my night nurse. She also has a nice fur (coat). 😉 

Indrajit's Log, Earth Date 2021.12.22, 0200 hrs GMT,

Lying down on the bed of my room at the Reform Club, I am unable to sleep. Looks like my jetlag hasn't gone yet. It seems cats are not affected much by jetlag (All they do is sleep, eat, zoomies, repeat). For people not familiar with cat behavior, zoomie is like a state of mind for cats and probably most of the feline family. At odd hours, they will have that strange look on their face, their eyes grow large, ears swing back like that of a X-wing tie-fighter from Star Wars and zoom around the house going up and down wherever possible. During these times, Earth's gravity takes a rest. It is a situation only cat owners have experienced and all you can do is just find safe corner and stay there.

Unbeknownst to me, that cat has been up to no good. It seems through some strange ability (only known to cats), he has gone and started posting strange stories of him being forced to travel under horrifying conditions and bla bla bla... I am not willing to waste any more energy on that topic right now. I am sure there will be plenty more incidents that will take place. Like yesterday when were on our beautiful CJ4 testing and checking all the instruments, he came and butted me and forced me off the Capt's seat. Then he proceeded to curl himself up on that chair and keeping a watchful eye one me, dare I attempt to remove him. 

I haven't finished planning the entirety of the trip, but the progress is going well. In between I have managed to look through what other aircraft will my company have in place ready for me. For short trips, there might be a few X-Cubs available along with my CJ4 and Piper Turbo Arrow III. I used fly the King Air B200 long back but haven't flown it in a while. So for this adventure - will try to see which is the most appropriate ones. Given the time limits, it will be difficult to do too much sightseeing I guess.

• Like 2

🙂 🙂

Your cat behavior studies are hilarious. I also know this zooming up and down on and from every piece of furniture. However, with my cats in these phases only the gravitational force of the cats themselves seems to be intermitted. Books, pictures or flower pots still fall to the ground.

Indrajit's Log, Earth Date 2021.12.23, 1830 hrs GMT.

Its late evening out here in London. After having walked down the streets visiting the local shops I returned back to my hotel... I sit at the bar sipping a glass of fine scotch. There are lots of people around here but I am too tensed to mingle and chat. After having locked that crazy cat in my suite with his cat food - this has been the most peaceful few hours. The clock ticks away. In another 6-7 hours we will all be on our way.. The weather at Heathrow is pretty decent. No clouds, visibility greater than 10 km, wind is 5 kts. Perfect night to start our voyage (if that cat doesn't mess it up). Must get everything packed up... Might spend some time watching a movie - since this place is completely devoid of the pretty ladies!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Indrajit Sen Gupta said:

Unbeknownst to me, that cat has been up to no good.

'That cat' has a name. Pippin. When I was a kitten I was led to believe my name was 'goddammit' as you seemed to call me with that term most of the time when I did what kittens do. Another sign you were up to no good even then.

And yes you did lock me up in your suite. As I now know how to use the phone to call room service life has become acceptable. Sorry about the lobster though, just did not manage to crack that. What you should be more worried about is the 2 hours you left me alone in the aircraft. Are you really sure you trust your systems now? I mean REALLY?

Meow,

Pippin

image.png

• Like 3

Indrajit's Log, Earth Date 2021.12.23, 0313 hrs GMT,

Landed at Orly airport just an hour back. My grumpy companion had made sure my flight would be eventful. My airline company had provided one crew member for my trip. Her name was Sally and she was from London. The weather was perfect back at Heathrow. Not much traffic. We took off into the night and as we broke through the clouds - Pippin started to get agitated. He proceeded to upset the glass of orange juice Sally was pouring and we hadn't crossed the shores of England yet. I could hear her cursing from inside the cockpit. Anyway one glass of juice finally made it to my hand. I had invited Sally to sit at the co-pilot's seat to have a chat while we flew, but as usual somebody else needed more attention. He had to be fed, cuddled, scratched and finally after half an hour or so, he jumped on a seat and kept his eyes fixated on the lights below. We had already entered the French airspace and things got busy. Finally I was cleared for landing at Orly - there was only a 6 kts wind and good visibility. We touched down after 55 minutes of flight. I was excited but tired as well. I will sleep for a few hours now and in the morning might make a vfr trip around Paris. Being a foodie, I am excited to try out French cuisine!

Here's a picture of me crossing the shores of England... looks so peaceful doesn't it? Who would guess what commotion is going on inside. 

p2b.png

• Like 2

Indrajit's Log, Earth Date 2021.12.26, 0320 hrs GMT,

I am writing this log sitting in my hotel room in Turin, Italy. My voyage got delayed due to Christmas celebrations happening all around, during which time, my cat had had been as 'catty' as ever until I managed put him in his cage and make sure he doesn't disappear. Paris was amazing. All of us, me Sally and Pippin wanted to spend a day touring. I did manage to get hold of an Icon A5 through some connections of mine and toured the city of Paris. This small light aircraft was a amazing. We took from Orly - it was a bright sunny morning. We flew over Seine till we reached the Eiffel Tower. The view was breathtaking. One after another we crossed Palais Garnier, Musee du Lourve, Sainte-Chapelle and Pantheon. We turned finally towards Sacre-Coeur before heading back to Orly. Once this voyage is over, I definitely plan to spend a few months in France! Once back in hotel, we sat planning our next trip to Turin. In the meantime my cat decided to disappear completely. My hotel room wasn't too big, yet cats have been known to hide in the most unreachable corners of the Earth. No amount of searching helped. In the end we gave up. I had planned to continue the next day - but had to cancel my plans. It was around late night he turned up. Where he had gone to hide only god knows. I managed to inform the hotel of my last minute plans of leaving. They were most helpful and welcomed us back the next time I come visiting. The trip to Turin was uneventful. It was raining initially, but once we were on the runway for takeoff, the rain ceased. We landed at Turin Airport in a little more than an hour. Thanks to a much needed tailwind we made good time. I will stop for now and plan the next trip. In the meantime, here are some pictures of our tour over  Paris.

p4.png

p5.png

• Like 3