HGS use for visual approaches

Mzee1

I do understand that the VMC mode is for visual approaches. I see the 3 degree indication and find it helpful for descent. Seems to me as if it is basically intended to hep with vertical not with lateral movement. My question: Is this the only mode I can use when approaching an airfield without VOR? I am talking about fields which offer nothing but an RNAV approach which I would like to fly visually using the HGS. Apologies if this is a stupid question. Thanks in advance

You are right about the VMC mode.

2 hours ago, Mzee1 said:

Is this the only mode I can use when approaching an airfield without VOR?

AFAIK, both precision and non-precision approaches must be based on a localizer.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:40 AM, KuntaKinte said:

You are right about the VMC mode.

AFAIK, both precision and non-precision approaches must be based on a localizer.

What about GPS approaches?  AFAIK those are non-precision and are not based on a localizer.

11 hours ago, Crabby said:

What about GPS approaches?  AFAIK those are non-precision and are not based on a localizer.

The point was that any NPA that is not based on a localizer cannot be done with the HGS.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:01 AM, KuntaKinte said:

The point was that any NPA that is not based on a localizer cannot be done with the HGS.

That must be operator or equipment specific, because I know for a fact that the HGS can be used for RNAV GPS and RNAV LPV approaches, neither of course based on a localizer.  The HGS is even used during visual approaches because it gives better situational awareness.  I could be wrong, but I cannot find any directive that says, "don't use the HGS for XXXX type of approach".  After all it only displays the same info that you would find scanning the T except with your head up of course.  I am eager to learn, point me in the right direction because I could be doing it wrong.  I'll keep searching.

Archived