[ENAT] Alta Airport floating runway lights

Er!k

I just tried out the updated version on Alta, but upon landing I noticed the runway edge lights are floating. Have attached 2 shots.

Please login to display this image.

• Like 1

• Developer

There is an bug in the sim that can cause lights to spawn at the incorrect altitude, so I would suspect that this is the issue. Personally I've seen it more if I overfly an airport or get close to it during approach.

Flickering and partially disappearing airport/runway lights

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Jo,

Nice to be addressing one of the developers. I am using the latest version of your airport (v.1.1.0.0). The issue is with your custom lights (white runway edge and red/green threshold lights). The "light globes/balls" are 3-5 meters above the ground. They also have a tendency to disappear at certain angles and distances. The MSFS default blue taxi lights and runway center lights work normally and snap correctly to the ground. Because of this, landing at night or during the dark winters is very dark and unrealistic.

Also after the latest update, 2 sets of default approach lights are back in the water/sea before runway 11.

And last but not least (also mentioned in another forum topic), the correct elevation and sloping water/sea around the airport is still present after the update. Different from the last version, but still present.

This is one of my favorite destinations to fly to and I would really like to see the above mentioned issues corrected.

Thanks and cheers from Gothenburg, Sweden,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I just completed a flight in MSFS landing at ENAT at dark and I can confirm the floating runway edge lights issue is still present (version 1.1.0 installed).

Any workaround/fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

• Deputy Sheriffs

There is some apparent elevation to the edge lights. Perhaps to allow for show buildup. I was up there a couple of weeks ago on a cruise to see the northern lights. We were docked just off to the side of the approach end of runway 11 and the pix were taken from the ship. Looking through binoculars, it was more apparent than the pix below. That said, the height in the sim airport looks much higher than it appeared in real life, based on a flight I did last night in the H135.

• Aerosoft
On 3/20/2022 at 7:25 PM, Gnak76 said:

Hello everyone,

I just completed a flight in MSFS landing at ENAT at dark and I can confirm the floating runway edge lights issue is still present (version 1.1.0 installed).

Any workaround/fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have the same issue, MSFS update V and Alta v1.1.0.0 are installed.

The lights of the runway centerline are on the ground where they should be, however the runway edge lights float a few meters up in the air and disappear when you get closer.

This is the only airport where I see such an effect. Uninstall/reinstall of WU5 and ENAT brought no improvement. Any ideas?

On 9/23/2022 at 4:18 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

SU10?

Checked now on SU10 - still floating runway edge lights. 

I made a support ticket on this matter about 3 months ago. It was said that it would be forwarded to the developer and included in the next update. 

The floating lights is a huge immersion breaker. ENAT is the only airport I've seen with this specific issue. Please, look into this. 

• Aerosoft

This is not an airport we done internally so we are depending on external teams to provide a update. I can assure you this has been forwarded.

Now not downplaying this, but in the complete airport project, these lights being misplaced would not rate a 'huge immersion breaker' for me personally. I understand they are very important to you, but if I see lights like this I simply ignore them, taxi onto the runway and take-off.  They simply do not cause any error, do not make flying impossible or even slightly harder.  Let me put this in other words, 7 months ago I had a jump seat flight to Malpensa.  The light you are worried about were simply not functioning.  The PNF mentioned this to the ground controller who said he would send a technical team to fix it. It did not affect the real flight in any way.

But as said, they are reported and I will ask again if these will be fixed. However, I can fully understand a development team not releasing an updated (not a trivial task, with new files, new test, shop work etc) for just this issue. Most certainly as this is an issue that could be caused by a sim issue: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flickering-and-partially-disappearing-airport-runway-lights/466358/126

• Upvote 3

Thank you Mathijs for clearing this up for me.

I could of course fly at daylight and I'd not have to worry about the whole problem. However, as you know, the arctic night is approaching, and doing real-time ops from now on would likely imply approaching this place during night time. 

As you may know, the peripheral vision is used for depth perception and this is where runway edge lights are useful at night. During the flare the edge lights will help you judge your height above the runway. Having edge lights 10-15 ft above the RCLLs is mildly confusing and can lead to some interesting illusions (in VR, at least). Can we turn them off, perhaps? :)  

I understand now that Aerosoft is the publisher of this product and is not directly involved in the development of the product. What raises concern to me, is that a developer in the Stairport team has begun developing another airport, when this product is not fixed yet. If the floating lights is a issue with the simulator, we can probably expect floating edge lights in the next product? I do not expect Aerosoft to answer this question, but Stairport Alta is the only 3rd party addon I've seen with floating lights. It would be nice of Aerosoft to notify any potential costumers of this issue with Alta until it's fixed - but that is my own opinion.  

Once again, thank you for forwarding our concerns. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 8:35 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

However, I can fully understand a development team not releasing an updated (not a trivial task, with new files, new test, shop work etc) for just this issue. Most certainly as this is an issue that could be caused by a sim issue: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flickering-and-partially-disappearing-airport-runway-lights/466358/126

Hello Mathijs.

In my opinion if a product has issues, even a "minor" issue, the problem should be addressed or - at least - the developer should try to address it given this is a payware scenery costing around 18 bucks.

Maybe not in few days/weeks but I would expect a minor/small patch (for a minor bug) after 10 months since the bug/issue was identified and reported. Or at least a confirmation if the problem is caused by a bug in the simulator. In my case, among the many payware/freeware sceneries that I own, this is the only one - if i remeber correctly -  in which I experience this issue.

Lets hope to hear back from Dev team and maybe get a quick fix for this to better enjoy this nice scenery.

Btw thanks for taking time to reply to us, yours customers. I always appreciate you guys openly discussing with the community.

Take care everyone and Kind Regards.

• Like 1

• Aerosoft

Partly I agree, of course. But you underestimate how much effort it is to actually release even such a minute patch. You need to do some tests (limited in this case but still you have to make sure the patch does not screw up something else, that the compilation is correct etc), then we got to insert it in our system, make the update files, test that. Then we got to send it to release stage where it is send to the servers (and that is tested again). Released, support department informed, bug tracker adapted etc.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this will be addressed in a future update, with the dark winter nights this is one of my favourites, though looking very forward to Jo Erland's Oslo too. 

• 4 weeks later...

In a Norwegian forum someone got in contact with Jo Erlend Sund.

And he told it was about to be fixed!

I do hope so to.. Enat is important to have in mint condition :)

Stian

• Deputy Sheriffs

The update is now available on Aerosoft One. I looked over the change log (but unfortunately didn't copy it) and it's quite extensive. Standouts, besides the lights referenced in this thread, include improvement to the circling lights. I plan on checking it out before the end of year.

A huge heap of thanks to Jo for the improvements!

• Aerosoft
15 hours ago, Herman said:

I plan on checking it out before the end of year.

Depending on your timezone you are either in a great hurry, or in no hurry what so ever. Happy New Year Herman, thanks for all you do for this forum.

• Thanks 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

LOL, Pacific Time Zone, so I had about 4 hours to go when I wrote that. Having been there IRL, I was keen to see how it now looked in the sim. I did fly it in real time (it's 24 hours of dark up there this time of year) and I'm happy to say the lights are now as I expected to see them (see my pictures posted farther up).

To see the circling lights to the northeast and east of the field, you'll want to be at around 2000 feet or so until you can see the PASI for 11, both to avoid the hills (way DARK out there) and to see the lights unobstructed by vegetation. You'll also want to review the pictorial provided with the scenery through NavData Pro (the VAC page), noting that light 1 has a steady and a flashing component. The steady one looked red to me instead of yellow per the chart, but that's no big deal.

Then I changed the date to June, so I could see inside a GA hangar (improved as noted in release notes) and the ground markings, all of which look just great.

• Thanks 1

• Herman locked this topic