EDDF P3Dv5.3 problem

Mikealpha

during EDDF approach (around 15NM from Airport) P3Dv5.3 comes to a halt for around one minute, to eventually continue then. Does not happen in 5.2.HF1.

Just for testing apparently the file EDDF_ADEV5-OP01.bgl is causing it, without that the problem does not occur.

Aorus Gigabyte 17G Laptop, I7-10870H, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080. Newest NVidia 497.08. Fresh Windows 11 with fresh P3Dv5.3, only Flytampa EHAM and EDDF installed as the only Addons.

Mike

I've had exactly the same problem. Done two flights into EDDF and both times the sim froze. I thought it was going to be a CTD, but after leaving it, it came back after almost a minute.

This is also in 5.3

5 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Can anybody conform that?

I can, and I did open a ticket on your support site on sunday after testing this for hours. I then found that the sim pause for 30 seconds at the exact 15 nm from FFM VOR mark, every single time. I also found that this does not happen when removing the "EDDF_ADEV5-OP01.bgl" file, but that is obviously not a long term solution.

There is also a thread at the LM forum on this issue, in case this is related to version 5.3, but I did experience a CTD at the same spot on version 5.2 hotfix 1 also.

1 hour ago, mataus said:

but after leaving it, it came back after almost a minute.

I guess the duration of the pause is system-dependent On my system it takes exactly 30 seconds every time, as the simulator does it's thing whatever that is

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, vhaaland said:

Unfortunately the exact same behaviour with this compiled bgl.

3 hours ago, Mikealpha said:

confirmed, still the same problem with above bgl

Was just an idea by me. Sorry that it doesn't work. Maybe LM or the scenery dev have an idea.

The solution is thankfully a simple one!

I have also been suffering from this (only when approaching EDDF) in v5.3 

• A little research this evening and I noticed that EDDF_ADEV5-OP01.bgl is a 'sloped' AFCAD.
  • In ADEX > File > Airport Properties > Sloped > 'Airport is Sloped' is enabled - I assume this was done due to the sloped taxiway connection 07L/25R to the airport. 

When the 'sloped' AFCAD feature is enabled, every node on the AFCAD has an elevation which can be adjusted individually

Strangely enough they all show the same 364.0ft MSL elevation at EDDF, which makes me wonder if it is even necessary for this to be enabled in the current implementation of the sloped taxiways? (possibly enabled by accident during development?)

Long story short, beginning in v5.3 the sloped node data takes significantly to compile  when the EDDF_ADEV5-OP01.bgl is first loaded in P3D as you are approaching the airport (this happens at a distance of 15 NM as report above). I assume because of the changes to the thread/core assignments in v5.3

Therefore the solution is simple, I have disabled the 'Airport is Sloped' and recompiled the AFCAD (see attached AFCAD).

Good News - The taxiways to 07L/25R are still sloped and all is well as far as I can tell. 

Have fun and happy flying!

P.S. the flightsim community has supported me through a thousand ??? moments over the past two decades, and for that I am very thankful.

I hope try solution pays it forward!

Happy flying :D 

Please login to display this image.

EDDF_ADEV5-OP01.bgl

• Developer

Did you check, how the AI-Traffic is handle the Bridge? That the user Aircraft is following the Taxiwaybridge is not related to the Afcad and the sloped settings here the platform is the part of the code, that define the way. But the AI ignores the plattform in the past.

13 hours ago, PinkPony said:

Therefore the solution is simple, I have disabled the 'Airport is Sloped' and recompiled the AFCAD (see attached AFCAD).

Good News - The taxiways to 07L/25R are still sloped and all is well as far as I can tell. 

Thank you so much for this find and for providing a solution to the problem. I did my test again, and at the 15 nm mark, there is now only a small stutter when the file loads. The airport is now again usable in P3D version 5.3.

2 hours ago, OPabst said:

Did you check, how the AI-Traffic is handle the Bridge? 

As for AI-traffic, I use live traffic so on my system I cannot test that. 

One thing I think is that this probably must be some sort of bug anyways in the simulator, but I have no idea on what it might be.

• Developer

Yes, it can only be a bug in P3D V5.3, because the Afcad is related to the V5 SDK and has not changed and works with all Versions before.

The slope definition with Alt Values for any Point in the Afcad Taxiway system was one of main changes in 5.0, not in 5.3.

So something for LM to look into and fix it with the next Hotfix.

To remove the slope feature can only be a workaround for the moment.

vor 54 Minuten, OPabst sagte:

Yes, it can only be a bug in P3D V5.3, because the Afcad is related to the V5 SDK and has not changed and works with all Versions before.

The slope definition with Alt Values for any Point in the Afcad Taxiway system was one of main changes in 5.0, not in 5.3.

So something for LM to look into and fix it with the next Hotfix.

To remove the slope feature can only be a workaround for the moment.

LM has advertised 5.3. with "multiple improvements to sloped airport creation ".  Maybe the reason for the incompatibilty now.

That sounds worth to have a look into  if it would be easy to adapt to ?

Mike

• Developer
10 hours ago, Mikealpha said:

LM has advertised 5.3. with "multiple improvements to sloped airport creation ".  Maybe the reason for the incompatibilty now.

That sounds worth to have a look into  if it would be easy to adapt to ?

Mike

Yes, and maybe in that codeparts something went wrong.

In the actual SDK of 5.3 nothing has changed in the definition, how sloped Airports as to be defined:

Sloping Airports

Airports can now be specified as sloping.  Sloping airports include sloped runways and taxiways that can be used by AI aircrafts.  The sloping value in the airport element must be specified as true in order to make changes to altitudes of airport objects.
Other new values include:

TaxiwayPoint and TaxiwayParking

• Alt
  • BiasY

TaxiwayPath

• SurfaceQuery
  • Flatten

TaxiwaySign

• Alt
  • AltitudeIsAgl
  • Pitch
  • ClampPitch
  • Bank
  • ClampBank

Apron

• SurfaceQuery
  • Alt
  • Flatten

vor 2 Stunden , OPabst sagte:

Yes, and maybe in that codeparts something went wrong.

In the actual SDK of 5.3 nothing has changed in the definition, how sloped Airports as to be defined:

hm, OK . Does Aerosoft contact LM to make them aware and sort this out ?

In the P3D User forum LM rarely responds, and threads might quickly get buried. I have no idea if they acknowledge something or not.

Mike

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Mikealpha said:

hm, OK . Does Aerosoft contact LM to make them aware and sort this out ?

In fact they contacted us and asked for some copies of our airports to check this out. Of course I handled that and also pointed out this topic (but I assume they already seen it).

When we know more we'll report.

vor 1 hour , Mathijs Kok sagte:

In fact they contacted us and asked for some copies of our airports to check this out. Of course I handled that and also pointed out this topic (but I assume they already seen it).

awesome, thanks a lot for the info !

• Deputy Sheriffs
22 hours ago, CR7DRHD said:

Does anyone know if the problem has already been fixed?

Two days ago Mathijs mentioned that LM contacted Aerosoft. It might be possible that LM needs some time to identify, fix and test the issue. Also it might be possible that they will include the fix in larger fix package. So it will most likely take some time until they release it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived