GG RPM too low

aua668

Hi,

A question to the Twin Otter experts: I took a photo of the instruments on a flight with the Twin Otter in Maldives some years ago. If I fly with the same power settings, I get pretty the same values. Only GG RPM is way off. While on Maldives it was near 100%, I only get 72% in the simulator (P3D 5.3). Ist this just not simulated exactly? Find enclosed the two pictures.

Rgds
Reinhard

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Not being a Twotter expert/pilot, but when reading through the very good book "Twin Otter Extended - You have control", written by real Twotter pilot, I'm wondering about the near 100%. According to the book:

- in cruise you use a power setting so that GG is not above 95%

- in climb around 85%

- in cruise around 76%

Hi,

Thank you for this quick answer. Then I am happy, that I survived the two flights although the values of Trans Maldivian Airways have been far out of the normal range 🙂

Best regards
Reinhard

• Deputy Sheriffs

Just corrected a typo: it is not 100%, but:

54 minutes ago, mopperle said:

- in cruise you use a power setting so that GG is not above 95%

Ahh - ok.

But then the question remains, how they reached 95%-100% on GG RPM with the sane settings of torque and Prop RPM, while I only reached 75%.

The photo of the real flight and the screenshot where both taken in cruise flight.

Which parameter is influencing that value? Maybe the altitude? I was flying yesterday at FL 100. On Maldives as far as I remember we were cruising at 6500 ft. I will do a flight there at that altitude and check again.

Rgds
Reinhard

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, aua668 said:

But then the question remains, how they reached 95%-100% on GG RPM with the sane settings of torque and Prop RPM, while I only reached 75%.

I think this question can only answered by a real Twotter pilot. Also I think there are other parameter influencing this like temperature, engine wear etc.

In your screenshots of the real one, e.g. T5 is much higher, also fuel flow. Additionally, be aware a sim can not simulate what  one specific real Twotter does. The sim reflects the numbers from the documents and experience of real world pilots.

vor 25 Minuten, mopperle sagte:

T5 is much higher, also fuel flow.

Dear Otto,

Many thanks for your answers and for sharing your insight knowledge. Of course it's only a simulation and not the real thing. But I personally find, it's really a very good simulation. Therefore I wondered, if I missed something, because the numbers have been so different for that GG parameter. I just wanted to know, where this is coming from. And obviously I compared "apples with pears", as not all parameters (altitude, outside temperature, etc.) have been the same during my flight in the sim. I did my flight yesterday out of Glasgow - so T5 must be lower than Maldives. I will do a flight in Maldives, with similar parameters compared to my real world flight.

Best Rgds
Reinhard

Hi,

I tested it now in VRMM. T5 was higher due to 29 degrees outside temoerature. But GG was almost the same and lower than at the real flight. So it's ok for me. Maybe in P3D this is now behaving different to FSX, for which the plane originally was designed. Otto: Thanks for sharing your knowledge - I ordered the mentioned book in the meanwhile 🙂

Rgds
Reinhard

Archived