AP altitude adjustments help

I am at a dead end trying to change the altitude setting on the CRJ MCP with any controller.  None of the built in or FSUIPC commands seem to do the job.  I find using the mouse is not very workable.  Help please

3 hours ago, diajohn said:

I am at a dead end trying to change the altitude setting on the CRJ MCP with any controller.  None of the built in or FSUIPC commands seem to do the job.  I find using the mouse is not very workable.  Help please

Go to the controller section .. you will find many posts about using the LVARs...

plenty of examples in the AAO threads.

I was hoping for something that does not include learning about lvars and scripts.  I just find using the mouse is too sloppy on this aircraft changing the MCP

10 hours ago, diajohn said:

I was hoping for something that does not include learning about lvars and scripts.  I just find using the mouse is too sloppy on this aircraft changing the MCP

Well then buy spad next .. it created all of the "key event" lvar events as assignable items ... so it's easy to use...  but if you have FSUIPC then  you already bought something that could do it..

The problem is not lack of tools but finding anything that will change the MCP altitude other than using the mouse. I can not my a control command or key combination that will cause it to increase or decrease in value.  

3 hours ago, diajohn said:

The problem is not lack of tools but finding anything that will change the MCP altitude other than using the mouse. I can not my a control command or key combination that will cause it to increase or decrease in value.  

Well, the "tools" I use are the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo.  The Bravo MCP panel is more than capable of doing what you want in conjunction with Axis and Ohs as previously mentioned.  You could also use AAO or Spadnext to assign keyboard bindings to what you want to do.  So, the issue is NOT "finding anything that will change the MCP altitude other than the mouse", the issue is not listening to good advice.  You cannot manage an Lvar command without a system designed to manage Lvars. Buy Axis and Ohs and learn how to use it, or, buy Spadnext and learn how to use it.  Purposeful ignorance is not an ingredient to happy flight simming, or life for that matter. 

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

Well, the "tools" I use are the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo.  The Bravo MCP panel is more than capable of doing what you want in conjunction with Axis and Ohs as previously mentioned.  You could also use AAO or Spadnext to assign keyboard bindings to what you want to do.  So, the issue is NOT "finding anything that will change the MCP altitude other than the mouse", the issue is not listening to good advice.  You cannot manage an Lvar command without a system designed to manage Lvars. Buy Axis and Ohs and learn how to use it, or, buy Spadnext and learn how to use it.  Purposeful ignorance is not an ingredient to happy flight simming, or life for that matter. 

Appropriate screen name there Mark.  Of course, I could go to the trouble of using a bunch of Lvars etc but that is not the point.  MSFS does not have altitude adjustment in the SDK(unless I missed it) yet and I was trying to find what Aerosoft used to increment the setting.  A snarky answer serves no purpose for me or the forum.  

6 minutes ago, diajohn said:

Appropriate screen name there Mark.  Of course, I could go to the trouble of using a bunch of Lvars etc but that is not the point.  MSFS does not have altitude adjustment in the SDK(unless I missed it) yet and I was trying to find what Aerosoft used to increment the setting.  A snarky answer serves no purpose for me or the forum.  

Aerosoft uses.........drum roll......LVARS! That is the point.  Like it or not.  BTW my last name is Crabtree and Crabby is my nickname.  So yes, it is very appropriate, thank you!  Also, the definition of crabby (not the proper nickname) is irritable.  Snarky and irritable are not the same thing.  Snarky and facetious are synonyms though and I am very facetious.  I suppose that the only thing you took offense to was about purposeful ignorance.  Let me say that if you took offense to that, I don't care.  I cannot give you offense, you have to take it.  That is your problem not mine.  So let me explain this very simply and I hope you take advice instead of offense, it is better for you as I don't care.  ALL complex aircraft coming down the pipe will take advantage of LVars to some extent or other.  You can choose to take advantage of all the expertise here like @LesOReilly and @FltsimFlyboy who have done most if not all the work for you (I am not the expert in this and in fact all I know about it are because of those two guys) or you can choose purposeful ignorance.  Another option is to choose purposeful ignorance then get bent out of shape butt hurt over it too.  In the meantime, I will adjust the altitude on my aircraft without using the mouse, like you want to do.

Aerosoft uses LVARs, but I've found that most of the functions of my Honeycomb Bravo work with default MSFS configurations, including the vertical speed and heading bugs.  So, it seems odd that the altitude bug also can't be made to work with any default configuration.  I tried Axes and Ohs with the default template someone made, and it just doesn't work for me.  I'd second the request for a simpler hack that lets the lazy among us use the altitude bug without messing with so much extra stuff.

(I gather that LVARs make it easier for a developer to create a cross-platform product.  I totally get that, but there must be a way for developers and MS / Asobo to make this easier and more transparent for end users.)

Please login to display this image.

So if you want the ALT to go Up ....  use the LVAR of ASCRJ_FCP_ALT_CHANGE and set that to 1 .....  it will automatically set back to zero and it is emulating turning the ALT Knob by 1 Click Clockwise.  Then when you use a Value of -1 it will turn the Knob counter clockwise.

the _SEL is going to move the actual knob in the cockpit and make it click (well it did till a recent update... but that is another issue about knobs and switch animation LVARs working and making sounds)

Videos and information has been posted and is pretty easy to use..

4 hours ago, David Opderbeck said:

Aerosoft uses LVARs, but I've found that most of the functions of my Honeycomb Bravo work with default MSFS configurations, including the vertical speed and heading bugs.  So, it seems odd that the altitude bug also can't be made to work with any default configuration.  I tried Axes and Ohs with the default template someone made, and it just doesn't work for me.  I'd second the request for a simpler hack that lets the lazy among us use the altitude bug without messing with so much extra stuff.

(I gather that LVARs make it easier for a developer to create a cross-platform product.  I totally get that, but there must be a way for developers and MS / Asobo to make this easier and more transparent for end users.)

That is well "not correct"..  The LVARs are not about cross Platform .. cause Simconnect and all the SIM Vars are the same as the ones from FSX.  Additional ones have been added my MS for MSFS but the original ones are there.

The real issue is that the AP MODE variables and the the AP were linked together so you could not operate them independent of each other.  What that means is that for a developer that wants to implement a system accurate implementation of the FCP in a Collins Proline system like the CRJ... well you cant limit yourself to being stuck with the "KAP140" which is the implementation in the simulations autopilot effectively.

"WERE LINKED" is a key element here.  Since SU5 in August Working Title has been implementing changes in the Sim and the SDK while making the G1000 NXi.  Some of the information is actually updated and available in the SDK but a lot of it has not been updated in the Docs.  You can pulldown the NXi and then go look into the Javascript to figure it out... also you can go over to their Discord and Matt is usually around and will answer those kinds of specific questions regarding how they are going about driving the Autopilot now under the hood in Pitch and Roll along with which variables they can now Write to which will no longer Enable the default AP and the basic operation.  So there is additional Simvar (funny they also had to introduce a few LVARs for the G1000 NXi...) that you now set so that you can disconnect the Auto Pilot from  the Autopilot Variables.

Fun Fact as of Sim Update 6 and NXi .0.8.0 they  finally were  able to put the Altitude Variable to the normal Slot 0 index Sim Var for Altitude.  Finally those with the normal plain Logitech Plugin could use their Multi Panel to control ALL of the controls (well except for BC that is not enabled yet on the NXi ... soon...) but you get the picture....  Oh and as for VNAV mode with the NXi... you still have to use either an LVAR or HEvent to control that since there is no  MSFS simconnect control to turn on that mode.....  

The CRJ operates in a similar manner as how WT implemented the CJ4 ...  LVARs to  represent the operation Modes of the FCP and running their own custom autopilot that will maintain all of the Intelligence and then operate the sim autopilot in a simple mode under the hood....  Which meant you needed to use other variables than the standard ones to  make changes to the custom autopilot and engage those  modes which it then translates into the lower level autopilot....

Maybe once Working Title is complete with all of the changes to the Sim to implement their work and the SDK/Docs are updated Aerosoft will be able to consider the effort to make changes  ....

Archived