HGS (HUD) is now collimated 1.0.15.0

dfw

5 hours ago, RF pilot said:

But the HUD is only partially fixed. Amount of data depends on how high the pilot is sitting.

of course, the eyes have to be at the right position for the HUD to work and be conformal to the outside world.  this is how it's supposed to work.

No, the HUD is not working properly with the patch. The display does not follow the hud. It is nothing like it was when it was working before SU7. I have the Aerosoft store version and used the ASUpdater.

8 hours ago, RF pilot said:

No, the HUD is not working properly with the patch. The display does not follow the hud. It is nothing like it was when it was working before SU7. I have the Aerosoft store version and used the ASUpdater.

show an image of what you think is wrong with it

I will do a screen shot later today and post it.  What is happening is the information is not coordinated with the HUD itself. So depending on the precise position of the pilot's view, part or all of the information completely misses the HUD and disappears.  It is almost as if the information is independent of the position of the HUD, and only when you are exactly in the right position is all of the information visible.

Just now, RF pilot said:

I will do a screen shot later today and post it.  What is happening is the information is not coordinated with the HUD itself. So depending on the precise position of the pilot's view, part or all of the information completely misses the HUD and disappears.  It is almost as if the information is independent of the position of the HUD, and only when you are exactly in the right position is all of the information visible.

I think that is correct ... make sure you can see the Seat Position Balls when you take the screen shot .. since I am a marketplace user I can not do this myself since I can not move the HUD into active position :)

1 hour ago, RF pilot said:

you should take this opportunity to learn about how a real collimated HUD works.  i'd say go to youtube and look up HUD videos on the 737 or other aircraft.  what the HUD projects on the combiner glass and what one sees on it depends on the relative position of the eyes.  

or if you have access to an automobile with a HUD, you'll soon find out that the information presented on the windshield is visible where the driver sits, it is no visible by someone sitting in the passenger seat.

so before making more assertions on how it should work, best to learn how it actually works. the crj patch is now making the HUD work correctly which is a great thing.

Can anyone provide a clear explanation of what exactly collimation means or better yet show a side-by-side comparison of what's fixed vs. what's broken? I haven't spent any time with the HUD but I've never understood what the complaint was about it.

31 minutes ago, Aplato said:

Can anyone provide a clear explanation of what exactly collimation means or better yet show a side-by-side comparison of what's fixed vs. what's broken? I haven't spent any time with the HUD but I've never understood what the complaint was about it.

Probably a good quick view (video should start at 8m20). In a collimated HUD, there is only a narrow FOV where you can see the HUD. Before in the AS CRJ, it was pretty much just a texture slapped onto the HUD and you could see it from any angle.

9 minutes ago, CRJay said:

Probably a good quick view (video should start at 8m20). In a collimated HUD, there is only a narrow FOV where you can see the HUD. Before in the AS CRJ, it was pretty much just a texture slapped onto the HUD and you could see it from any angle.

Ah, thanks a lot, that makes it very clear. I'm a little unsure why that was considered such a big issue in the CRJ unless the alignment only makes sense if you're looking at it straight on, but always happy to hear that something is working more accurately.

Is there a way to fine tune the alignment of the view of the HUD? I am finding it very difficult to adjust the pilot view to be able to see all of the data on the HUD. Using either the keyboard or the yoke binding only results in too large adjustment.

19 hours ago, RF pilot said:

13 hours ago, Aplato said:

Ah, thanks a lot, that makes it very clear. I'm a little unsure why that was considered such a big issue in the CRJ unless the alignment only makes sense if you're looking at it straight on, but always happy to hear that something is working more accurately.

The entire point of a HUD is to have the information displayed be fixed relative to the outside world.  Most importantly in this case the flight path marker (on military aircraft targeting reticles and markers as well etc). 

For instance when you are coming in for a landing, you place the flight path marker on the runway itself (also using the attitude ladder to ensure its at the right glide path) and now you know the plane is headed straight for the runway accounting for the winds and everything. If this marker is fixed relative to the hud glass instead of the outside world, this is useless!! Anytime you move your head/viewpoint the marker also moves relative to the outside so you have no clue if the marker is exactly where the plane is going. With an uncollimated HUD there is exactly one head position where the markers are correct and being even a little off means a big error.

Without collimation HUDs are almost useless for Track IR and VR users and even people who dont use those have no guarantee the markers are correct. I guess they work as a big PFD but the main benefit of the HUD is gone.

After a year Asobo have finally (FINALLY!) given us functional HUDs. And Aerosoft has fixed it accordingly. It works exactly as it needs to. If you need to see all the information move your head/view to the right position. The important thing is that the flight path marker is always giving you correct information no matter which angle you look at it from so long as you can see it.

Though not strictly relevant to the sim since we are using 2d displays, a HUD is also focused at "infinity". Meaning a pilot does not need to refocus their eyes to see between the outside world and the HUD information. Its as if the HUD information is displayed at the same distance as the runway or whatever you're looking at so you never lose even a second looking between information and seeing the outside world. This aspect might be relevant for VR users though.

Finally as per the attached screenshot (excuse the dreadful approach, was a quick circuit for demonstration purposes), the default head position shows the entire HUD anyway. And if you prefer another position its up to you to ensure you can at least see the flight path marker and the center of the speed and altitude tapes. This is how its supposed to work, its how it works in the real world as well. 

Please login to display this image.

Archived