No Add-On Aircraft

triflyman

Been using this for a day now (great to see departing and landing aircraft again) and noticed that I can't get any of my add on aircraft, whether in Community or Official folder, since adding this application.  Same for both AI Offline and Real-Time Online...only see default aircraft.  Tried at several airports, large and small, default and add-on...all the same.  Did check FAQ's and search this topic, both here and at MSFS forum, but found nothing.

Also looked at my add-on aircraft .cfg files to be sure they did not have the icao code think mentioned in the manual...all good there.

Thanks for any help.

Garry

• Deputy Sheriffs

From a related thread (link here):

"If the ICAO model code (e.g. A20N, B747, etc) of a particular real time flight corresponds exactly to an add-on aircraft that you have installed, and that add-on aircraft is also configured to function as AI (i.e. it has IsAirTraffic=1 in its aircraft.cfg file), then MSFS will give precendence to the matching add-on aircraft model, rather than the Simple Traffic generic model."

This adds to what's on page 7 of the manual.

Thanks Herman...that explains it.  However...I have been experimenting with it a little more and find that when I add in some "Ground Aircraft Density" AND turn off the "Use Generic Plane Models (AI Traffic)"...I then have a few of my add-on aircraft.  Now I know that Aerosoft says must have "Use Generic Plane Models (AI Traffic) turned ON...but just looking at the airport I don't see any difference.

Now my question is..."am I doing something that is harming the use of Simple Traffic", at all, by turning off the "Use Generic Plane Models (AI Traffic)"?

Thanks,

Garry

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks for sharing what you've learned through experimentation. I don't know enough about the program to answer, so we'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to respond. My guess though is that what you've described so far isn't "hurting" ST.

You might also check in this forum section to see if there's anything helpful: Tweaking (VATSIM, IVAO etc) - AEROSOFT COMMUNITY SERVICES .

• Aerosoft
On 11/28/2021 at 3:16 AM, triflyman said:

Now my question is..."am I doing something that is harming the use of Simple Traffic", at all, by turning off the "Use Generic Plane Models (AI Traffic)"?

That is not an easy one to answer, will ask.

• Developer
On 11/28/2021 at 2:16 AM, triflyman said:

Hi Garry

The 'Use Generic Plane Models (AI Traffic)' setting is important because it determines whether the sim can use generic AI models as a fallback or not. Simple Traffic AI models are configured to be generic, so if you set 'Use Generic Plane Models (AI Traffic)' to 'Off', then the sim will not select the Simple Traffic planes correctly.

For example, let's say the aircraft type ICAO code of a real-time flight is a B747. If you set 'Use Generic Plane Models (AI Traffic)' to 'On', then MSFS will give precedence to selecting an exactly matching B747 AI model if one is installed, otherwise it will fallback to selecting an appropriate generic AI model (in this case, the Simple Traffic Quad-Jet) instead. Whereas if you set 'Use Generic Plane Models (AI Traffic)' to 'Off', then MSFS will only display that real-time AI flight if you have an exactly matching B747 AI model installed, otherwise it won't display that AI flight at all. That's probably not what you want.

In AI Offline mode, the setting works in a similar way. If you want the sim to be able to select the generic Simple Traffic AI planes as a fallback for other offline traffic plans (e.g. default MSFS offline traffic), then it will only do so if you set 'Use Generic Plane Models (AI Traffic)' to 'On'.

And lastly, since the offline traffic plans included with Simple Traffic call the Simple Traffic AI planes directly, the sim will only ever display Simple Traffic models (and not AI planes from any other add-ons) for those offline AI flights.

Thanks for that explanation.  Understand and will turn the "Use Generic Plane Models (AI Traffic)" back on.

Now, if I may, carry this one step further...I understand why I can't get my add-on aircraft to fly but, what I would like to do is, at least, have them show up parked at the airports.  I have found that if I turn on "Ground Airport Density" I do get some add-on aircraft...if I have the Generic Models turned off.  With that on I get no add-on aircraft.  Any ideas on how I can have it both ways..."Generic Plane Models" turned on but still get add-on aircraft with Ground Airport Density?

Thanks

Garry

• Developer
2 hours ago, triflyman said:

Any ideas on how I can have it both ways..."Generic Plane Models" turned on but still get add-on aircraft with Ground Airport Density?

Yes you can, but you'll need to edit the add-on aircraft's config file manually.

Each aircraft add-on has an aircraft.cfg file, normally to be found in a sub-folder within the add-on package:  [...]\SimObjects\AirPlanes\[...].

If you locate and edit that file, you will find it contains a config parameter: IsAirTraffic=0.

If you change that parameter to IsAirTraffic=1, then that model will be eligible for selection as Ground Traffic even if Generic mode is on.

It will also be eligible for selection as airborne AI traffic, but only for real-time AI flights with a matching ICAO aircraft type code.

Make sure to take a backup first though!

Archived