SIMstarter NG P3D SimConfigBackup Manager file creation dates?

ChuckOman

Hi Peter -

Have been happily using SIMstarter NG P3D for several years with both P3D4.5 and P3D5.1.  It is an amazing tool!

I'd set SimCoinfigBackupManager to create both a BackupSet(DEFAU LT) after each start, and a second - somewhat larger- weekly backup set.

It's been running along fine for more than a year.  But I've noticed that when I look at the backus using the Restore/delete Backup tab window, the "Created" date on many of my backup files created  is blank.  I have to select one and use the "Show Backup Log" to determine what the backup date was.   On some other backups, the "Created" date appears in dd/mm/yyyy format, so they don't sort in chronological order.  (BTW my Win10 Date/Time settings is set for US region, recommended [English(United States)] format).   Never happened to notice it before, but it sure makes it hard to locate the most recent backup.

Is this a known issue?

Is there any way I can get my planned backup sets to show a creation date ?  Any way to get them to sort in proper chrono order?

Regards

ChuckO

• Developer

Hi ChuckOman,

I just checked it. On my system I've not noticed the blanc dates sind 06/2020 with P3Dv5. But since I made several updates on SimConfigBackup I cannot 100% say that nothing has been changed that could cause your effect. Are your latest backups fine?

Could you please test:

1) Open <YourBackupPath>\<Backup without date>\simConfigBackup_restore.cfg

2) Post all contents of the [General] section

It should look like this:

Please login to display this image.

Yes, that date format is hard coded with SIMstarter in this case. Its <Year><Month><Day> = YYYYMMDD.

Sorry.

Hi Peter - Thanks for checking.  I'm sure you've been busy with other things (P3D5.3!)

(Hadn't opened the simCfgBackup folder in awhile. Hundreds of folders, with YYYYMMFF- names.  But the folders are sortable by date in Windows Explorer.  Looks like I could prune it manually there by date, even if I can't sort in the SIMstarterNGP3D backup log window....)

[General] section of latest backup appears similar to yours:

[GENERAL]
description=BackupByPlan < programStart >
backupDate=20211205-10h28m09
backupSet=BackupSet (DEFAULT)
platform=PREPAR3D v5.1

Did you also want me to post [CONTENT] section that follows?

Regards

Chuck O

• Developer

Thanks. Thats strange. Can you pls post a screenshot of that issue:

"But I've noticed that when I look at the backus using the Restore/delete Backup tab window, the "Created" date on many of my backup files created  is blank."

Peter - here is a shot about 1/3 of the way down in my P3D5 Restore/Delete listing, showing the boundary between dated and undated creation dates.  

and here is similar one from my P3D4.5 listing

Regards

ChuckO

Peter - Was able to find a 1/8/2020, but there were three with date of 6.15.20.  I've put them all in the attached .7z archive.

I notice is that in the Restore/delete Backup tab l"Created" column all the MM and DD numbers are 1-12 (see screenshot below) .   I'm pretty  sure some of the actual backup DD were actually  > 12!

ChuckO SimConfigBackup files.7z

• Developer

Sorry not for now.

I added your folders to my test system and got this result:

I will ask the BETA Team to test the same but for now I have no idea why this happens on your system. Nobody else raised this since the release of this function. This should not point on your system but for the moment I have no idea. I will add a detailed logging for this in the next version of SIMstarter NG P3D this may helps to find a cause.

OK, understand; thanks.   

BTW on your own Win 10 test system is your regional short date format set to dd/mm/yyyy format, as mine is?

Guessing you may have already considered but dismissed that as possible cause...

Chuck O

Hi Peter  New version 2.3.1.1 installed.  all now looks good!

Many thanks for the fix..grateful for your consistently high standard of user support!

Enjoy the holidays and stay well.

Chuck

Archived