VFR traffic pattern in the CRJ - how to program the FMS?

steku

I'm RW PPL(A) pilot, so before attempting IFR flights in the CRJ I would like to learn how to control the plane manually.

In the manual there is a schema for the VFR traffic pattern/touch and go.

How the FMS should be programmed for flying patterns and touch and goes?
Should only the performance section be programmed?

Will it stay active for multiple touch and goes?

If I understand correclty the performance section should be programmed to allow TO GA engine FADEC control during takeoff. Or should I set the throttles for manual or climb or even max power instead?

Please login to display this image.

Should any other sections of the FMS be programmed before attempting the VFR flights? Or is the FMS the IFR-pnly device.

You can fly it full manual just fine ...  but still best to use the EFB to setup the weight and fuel (press the button 2 times to apply it to the sim) then you can even setup your FMS data (after you have power of course to the FMS) set you take off flaps to 8 and set you v speeds...

Off you go..

2 hours ago, steku said:

Should I operate the throttle during takeoff 100% manually or should it be set to TO GA detent?

Take off is always in the TOGA detent.  If you want a derated takeoff then you can program that in the FMS under the performance page.  The patter will be flown with manual throttle/speed management.  Other than Vspeed from the EFB, if you want to do pattern work, you don't really have to put anything into the FMS.  You would need to align the IRS though so you have an ADI.  Remember if you are going to do a touch and go to retract the flaps to 8 and trims before re-engaging TOGA mode.  I would also think that, other than pattern work, VFR flights in the CRJ are very rare.  Like all jets it wants to be up in the thin air and that means flight levels and you can't fly there VFR.  However, if you were to do a sightseeing trip just for fun, there is nothing wrong with programming the FMS as you would an IFR flight, even if it is simple direct one airport to another.  

14 hours ago, Crabby said:

Take off is always in the TOGA detent.  If you want a derated takeoff then you can program that in the FMS under the performance page.  The patter will be flown with manual throttle/speed management.  Other than Vspeed from the EFB, if you want to do pattern work, you don't really have to put anything into the FMS.  You would need to align the IRS though so you have an ADI.  Remember if you are going to do a touch and go to retract the flaps to 8 and trims before re-engaging TOGA mode.  I would also think that, other than pattern work, VFR flights in the CRJ are very rare.  Like all jets it wants to be up in the thin air and that means flight levels and you can't fly there VFR.  However, if you were to do a sightseeing trip just for fun, there is nothing wrong with programming the FMS as you would an IFR flight, even if it is simple direct one airport to another.  

Archived