How to ? - Recover

Dear CRJ Devs,

Here's my scenario (again) ...

Level flight, heading mode, FLxxx, Speed - appropriate. Auto Pilot on. All good.

Let speed deplete (reduce thrust). A/C pitches up at some time to maintain Alt - expected
(typical situation which happens to us sim pilots sometimes 😉 )

Corrective action taken: increase thrust, if that doesn't help, disengage autopilot, dive for speed, pitch and trim, bring the a/c to a level flight with appropriate speed. Back to automated flight

Problem:  Once A/P is engaged, even trim is adjusted (green band), the trim jumps back to a cause a high pitch. ALWAYS.

If very very lucky and after x tries, a/p sometimes catches and you are back in business.

This behaviour / bug has already been reported in the early days of the CRJ.

Is this being looked at.  (Yes, big patch announced "soon" after the release of the other a/c)

Am i  missing someething (CRJ specific). ?

Oliver

Yes, this is a frustrating little bug.  I think they're trying to teach us not to leave the cockpit during cruise!  I've come back a few times to find my CRJ mushing down through the flight levels...

As you say, you can recover and have everything looking good, only to reengage the AP and have the trim run immediately full nose up.  One thing I've done that seemed to work is set an altitude a few thousand feet lower and start a nice descent in speed mode.  Then after it settles down at the lower altitude reverse the process.  No guarantees -- maybe I just got lucky!  But it's worth a shot.

Good luck!

vor 4 Stunden , Moderate Chop sagte:

Yes, this is a frustrating little bug.  I think they're trying to teach us not to leave the cockpit during cruise!  I've come back a few times to find my CRJ mushing down through the flight levels...

As you say, you can recover and have everything looking good, only to reengage the AP and have the trim run immediately full nose up.  One thing I've done that seemed to work is set an altitude a few thousand feet lower and start a nice descent in speed mode.  Then after it settles down at the lower altitude reverse the process.  No guarantees -- maybe I just got lucky!  But it's worth a shot.

Good luck!

Yes, theres a bunch of workarounds ...

But theres not much room for "luck" in the Aerosoft - CRJ ....  😉

Oliver

On 11/22/2021 at 1:28 AM, JetNoise said:

Corrective action taken: increase thrust, if that doesn't help, disengage autopilot, dive for speed, pitch and trim, bring the a/c to a level flight with appropriate speed. Back to automated flight

Oliver

Well the first issue is that what you say above is absolutely NOT the way to correct for the issue you see.

1. You cannot leave the CRJ alone at cruise.  EVER.  The wind will shift or a pressure differential occur.  You are in danger of losing altitude in either of these.  When that happens the autopilot will, as you know, try to fix the problem.  It can't.  You can't.  The aircraft does NOT have enough power at cruise to overcome this problem.  If you cannot climb and maintain yourself on the correct side of the power curve, you will lose that battle and the CRJ will try to kill you and your pretend passengers.

The ONLY corrective action is to trade altitude for speed immediately.  Trading altitude for speed is ALWAYS an option, until it is not.  Typically, it stops being an option because the pilot did the wrong thing.  You should:

1. Disconnect the a/p

2. Nose over to begin gaining speed

3. Reset ALT for a lower altitude.  You may need a few thousand feet depending on how quickly you were able to react to the problem.

4. Once you are in a controlled descent with speed on the right side of the curve, THEN you can re-engage the a/p.  You may need to cycle off with the bar.

Fortunately, I fly very few "long" flights in the CRJ and I don't have to spend a lot of time at cruise babysitting her.  However, I cruise at about 15 knots below the barber pole, typically around M0.80ish.  That gives me some wiggle room to hit the head if needed.  

On 29.11.2021 at 00:52, Crabby sagte:

The ONLY corrective action is to trade altitude for speed immediately.  Trading altitude for speed is ALWAYS an option, until it is not.  Typically, it stops being an option because the pilot did the wrong thing.  You should:

1. Disconnect the a/p

2. Nose over to begin gaining speed

3. Reset ALT for a lower altitude.  You may need a few thousand feet depending on how quickly you were able to react to the problem.

4. Once you are in a controlled descent with speed on the right side of the curve, THEN you can re-engage the a/p.  You may need to cycle off with the bar.

Dear Crabby,

except of #3 thats exactly what i did. Maybe i did not put it in text very good. 

Once in manual level flight with enough speed, i tried to have the AP  to catch that current  level, but instead it pitches up like crazy.  
The pitch trim seems to snap to a "default" wrong pitch up (7.5 iirc)  all the time, which makes it hard to recover this SIM airplane.

#4 see the above 😉

We will see, how the new version will act. Havent had the time to test it yet ...

Oliver

Archived