problems with Vnav

Thomas Franzi

Good evening everyone.
I am writing to you because with some friends we encountered a problem on the Vnav

If the flight plan is imported from simbrief, the vnav system does not work or rather it does not go up or down as it should.

While I had a friend of mine test this by entering the flight plan from the aircraft and the Vnav worked until it hooked up ILS

I would like to know what am I wrong

Not sure what you mean by "it does not go up or down as it should"...but I think this will be the issue you face.

1. By default the CRJ, as is the vast majority of cases, does not have coupled VNAV. You can enable it on the EFB if you want it.

2. Climbing to cruise is typically done using either IAS Climb/Descent or Vertical Speed mode.  Pitch mode is also available.  

Here is my typical climb to cruise/descend to approach scenario:

1. Take off- Lever to TOGA and climb out

2. Lateral nav to HDG or FMS depending on type of departure, departure segment or ATC instructions.

3. Vertical guidance set to IAS Climb (just hit the IAS button).  Speed set to 250 below 10K, 290 above 10K until 290=0.74 M then 0.74 M climb to cruise altitude.

4. When TOD is reached, I descend via Vertical Speed mode at about -1800 fpm adjusting to follow the "snowflake" to 10K

5. I continue descent from 10K using IAS again so that I can comply with speed restrictions

I don't use the coupled RNAV feature because the operator I emulate does not have it.  

• Deputy Sheriffs

And a standard question: Have you and your friends successfully flown the tutorial flight in volume 3 of the manuals at least once? If not, you really, really should, as it will give you the minimum knowledge needed to enjoy the CRJ. Also, if you haven't watched The Dude's video series here, they will show you how to fly the profile Crabby describes, which is the normal way to fly the CRJ.

Archived