CRJ Landing - reversers or not?

petermaxkoller

Hi

Do we have to use the reversers allways after touchdown or only when the runway is short?

I saw the Dude landing video and he uses the reversers. But some airports dont like whwn we use the reversers because of additional noise.

Thanks. Peter

Hey Peter, if you do have access to some airport charts (for example through Navigraph or free ones floating around - check the dates for them btw! Some can be old) it should say if the airport in question is having some sorts of noise abatement, on the taxiways or the runways themeselves.

- Christoph

• Deputy Sheriffs

Landing performance charts for transport category aircraft typically assume no reverse, so they're not required to fit into a runway that's long enough by the charts. That said, they're routinely used to shorten landing roll and ensure making a turnoff before the end of the runway while not using heavy braking. As a working airline pilot, The Dude is simply doing what he usually does, which is use reverse even on a long runway. Also, if there's a long taxi to the gate after landing, reverse during rollout is favored so as to delay brake heating. As you and Christoph correctly point out, some airports do request pilots use minimal or sometime no reverse at all as a noise issue.

Since this is in a sim, feel free to do make your own choice on whether to use reverse or not.

• Aerosoft

As far as I know (but hey I am just a project manager), pilots will use reverse to reduce wear and heat buildup in the brakes. So even on a very long runway they might use it. Also pilots like to have the option to use the best runway exit and that is almost never the last one (and they like to clear the runway as fast as possible as runways are a place you do not want to be when it is not needed).

Archived