Simbrief ZFW Data and CRJ EFB process questions

jstnj

Hello!

Hoping someone can offer a definitive step by step to getting the correct weight and loadout from a Simbrief flight plan.

Here's my current process:

1. Generate Simbrief Plan
  2. Export to CRJ Format
  3. Enter Sim and begin ramp start sequence
  4. Reference the Block Fuel in simbrief plan, and use CRJ fuel panel to load
  5. Load simbrief plan via ROUTE MENU and make it the active flight plan
  6. PERF INIT shows passenger number e.g. "80/130lb" and CARGO e.g. "4350lb"
  7. Enter the same amount of passengers in the EFB screen, press enter
  8. Make a total guess about weight balancing, and try to end up with 4350lb in cargo between FORE and AFT
  9. press GET INIT FUEL FROM AIRCRAFT after the fuel is done loading from step 4 and make sure you turn off the fuel panel

Now here are my questions:

• How is the math done in PERF INIT to derive the CARGO weight?
  • The CRJs are setting 130lbs as default passenger weight...is that accurate?
    • The default setup in Simbrief is: 1 passenger = 230lbs (175lb + 55lb baggage), so trying to figure out what's going on there (i know the default can be changed in the FMS)
  • What does "SET PAYLOAD IN SIMULATOR" in the EFB do?
  • How do I correctly load cargo to make sure I can properly trim for takeoff/cruise? I am just guessing at this point

Thanks for any help you can provide!

16 minutes ago, Justin J said:

Hello!

Hoping someone can offer a definitive step by step to getting the correct weight and loadout from a Simbrief flight plan.

Here's my current process:

1. Generate Simbrief Plan
  2. Export to CRJ Format
  3. Enter Sim and begin ramp start sequence
  4. Reference the Block Fuel in simbrief plan, and use CRJ fuel panel to load
  5. Load simbrief plan via ROUTE MENU and make it the active flight plan
  6. PERF INIT shows passenger number e.g. "80/130lb" and CARGO e.g. "4350lb"
  7. Enter the same amount of passengers in the EFB screen, press enter
  8. Make a total guess about weight balancing, and try to end up with 4350lb in cargo between FORE and AFT
  9. press GET INIT FUEL FROM AIRCRAFT after the fuel is done loading from step 4 and make sure you turn off the fuel panel

Now here are my questions:

• How is the math done in PERF INIT to derive the CARGO weight?
  • The CRJs are setting 130lbs as default passenger weight...is that accurate?
    • The default setup in Simbrief is: 1 passenger = 230lbs (175lb + 55lb baggage), so trying to figure out what's going on there (i know the default can be changed in the FMS)
  • What does "SET PAYLOAD IN SIMULATOR" in the EFB do?
  • How do I correctly load cargo to make sure I can properly trim for takeoff/cruise? I am just guessing at this point

Thanks for any help you can provide!

probably easier to work from the Zero Fuel weight Tab instead....

Please login to display this image.

9 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

probably easier to work from the Zero Fuel weight Tab instead....

Well yes, but it's weird that I am unable to repeatedly get the same results between the two...which is why I am asking for clarification. It's kind of a blind spot in the documentation, only briefly mentioned.

In the real world, pilots are only concerned with ZFW and CoG.  The don't care what fat guy is in seat A3.  If there is an imbalance some combination of flight attendants, baggage loader, dispatcher will handle that issue.  I only use ZFW and total fuel loads in the CRJ and every other aircraft I fly.  Also, if you are trying to get an exact to the last number loadout, probably won't happen, but ZFW/Total fuel will get you as close as needed.  

Archived