FD in a red box on PFD

On my PFD I have a red box around FD. The FD is active and follows the active plan as does the autopilot. I've tried switching FD on off and on with the button on FCP but the box remains. 

I *think* it appeared when I decided to change my T/O from flaps 8 to 20 and hit SET ALL again on the performance tab in EFB. All the speeds transferred correctly.

It doesn't appear to be causing any issue but is disconcerting to see...

Please login to display this image.

In the real aircraft this would indicate the lateral or vertical flight director mode is invalid, and if I remember right, the procedure in flight would be to use the XFER switch to have the autopilot controlled by the other side (FO side in this case). 

You could try that and see what happens. But if all seems to be working as it should I would shrug and write it off as a weird bug. 

@Bill Zarkov @CRJay in fact I had this happen exactly twice in "my life as a CRJ BETA tester for MSFS". Both happened on ground (before TO) and I also had the upper TO-TO (TOGA) anunciator striked through. I canceled my flight each time.

The first time I encountered it, I said...maybe I did something wrong....the 2nd time I brought it up to our testing team and no one ever encountered it. Checking our internal log, I reported it on 18.08 and never seen it before.

This happens so rare that it will be a needle in a hay stack to find.

Agreed - minimal benefit but thanks for the suggestion, will try if it happens again. As I say I'm pretty sure it was when I switched flap to 20 and set all speeds. It did disappear about 10 minutes before landing with no input from me.... <shrug> 🙂

Actually - I wonder if it complained because after changing flaps it in effect set the VNAV profile to not ready. If I get it again will also try forcing a change in VNAV and seeing if the exec clears.

2 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

@Bill Zarkov @CRJay in fact I had this happen exactly twice in "my life as a CRJ BETA tester for MSFS". Both happened on ground (before TO) and I also had the upper TO-TO (TOGA) anunciator striked through. I canceled my flight each time.

The first time I encountered it, I said...maybe I did something wrong....the 2nd time I brought it up to our testing team and no one ever encountered it. Checking our internal log, I reported it on 18.08 and never seen it before.

This happens so rare that it will be a needle in a hay stack to find.

Your issue could be separate though, as the red line through the TO/TO indication may point to your speed bugs being set up incorrect. If you inadvertently have a V1 set greater than Vr for example. 

• 1 month later...

Had this twice in a row so I thought I'd poke into it, repeatably happens setting Flaps 20 in EFB & then pushing Set All. Reason? EFB V2 is - in the config I had - 2 kts lower than V1 and VR, adjust the V2 bug manually after setting with the EFB button & it'll clear.

I have had this happen as well once - My first reaction was to try switching over to the other side with the XFR button. Yet that did nothing.  

In the end, I flew with it on anyways and didn't notice any adverse effects whatsoever. The plane performed as usual throughout the whole flight.

In my case, this also happened during a flaps 20 takeoff.  I suppose this is indeed the cause for it. 

Archived