Minimum Clean Speed (and T and 2 on Speed Tape)?

I was flying on VATSIM last night and the controller asked me to keep "minimum clean speed." Now on the Airbus this is labelled on the PFD speed tape but I wasn't sure on the CRJ (900 variant in this case). I stuck to around 210-220 but what actually is the min clean speed in the CRJ?

Also what is the T and 2 that appears on the PFD speed tape?

Minimum clean speed is the lowest seed you can keep without any slats or flaps extended. It depends on weight but keeping 210 is usually the safe call. It gives you some margin to minimum clean at maximum weight. 

The T and 2 on the speed tape are speed bugs for Vt (target speed in climb out or go around) and V2 (also a relevant speed for takeoff or go around, especially in case of an engine failure). 

There are tables in the QRH, but I personally don't bother with them. If ATC wants minimum clean from me I will default to 210kts, simply because I know that it is a 100% safe speed regardless of weight. It also keeps the pitch in level flight a bit manageable. If they want anything lower, it's time for flaps in my opinion.

If you really want to go slower, you could also just take the VT speed you used at takeoff as a reference.

5 hours ago, CRJay said:

There are tables in the QRH, but I personally don't bother with them. If ATC wants minimum clean from me I will default to 210kts, simply because I know that it is a 100% safe speed regardless of weight. It also keeps the pitch in level flight a bit manageable. If they want anything lower, it's time for flaps in my opinion.

If you really want to go slower, you could also just take the VT speed you used at takeoff as a reference.

Perfect thank you. Glad my educated guess of 210-220 was in the right ballpark!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 5:26 PM, daan_vb said:

Thanks. So how do you determine minimum clean, is there a table or is it calculated for you in the real world?

RW operators have handy "speed cards" on the flight deck that give them reference speeds for each flaps settings at different weights. FWIW on the operator I am with, our most average holding speed clean is about 203kts. I would just default to 210. Lower fuel burn than 220.

Archived