Twin Otter - changing pilots!

Loules

Would like to change the pilots in the 300 series to the ones without uniform from the 100 series - does anybody know how to do that?

And how about making a float version of a 300 series - is that possible?

Thanx :D

Yes, you can change the stupid looking caps pilots.

Just go in the model file of the concerned plane

- Open with Notepad the model.cfg file

- You will see that there are two files called in this cfg. One is for the

external model, the other one for the interior.

- Choose a model with correct pilots (the ones with the headsets)

- Copy this int_model file to the plane you are interested in (be careful, it shoul be of the same type (modern or old cokpit, passenger or cargo)

- Call this file in the model cfg file of the concerned aircraft

This will change the oilots head in your model (in fact, it changes the whole onterior model)

Your pilots will keep the same uniform or coverall they had before, just the heads will change.

If you want to change the uniforms colors, just swap them in the considered textures with the ones you like.

That was for the good news, the bad one is that you cannot do nothing to have a 300 float palne ( the exterior mdl file should be modified.

Hope this help

• Aerosoft
That was for the good news, the bad one is that you cannot do nothing to have a 300 float palne ( the exterior mdl file should be modified.

Hope this help

Of course the 300 was not qualified for float operations until rather recent, as far as we know all float models at this moment are 100 models (though there seem to be a few with the long nose modification).

If you look at RCAF twin otter pictures at airliners.net you will see a 300 (short nose) on floats. It seems that at a time, only short noses could be use on floats (no idea why!) Hence the RCAF using its plane on wheels, skis and floats ( I mean the same airframe) they have these 300 short nose models on floats. That also explains why all RCAF Twin Otters are 300 short nose.

The same site shows us:

- 300 short noses Maldivians ones.(Maldivian Air Taxis on loan from Kenn Borek) and 300 long nose from Trans Maldivian (Equiped with Wipline 13000 staight floats)

- 300 Greeks twin otters long nosed on floats (Air Sea Lines) on the same Wipline straight floats.

- Harbour air has used Kenn Borek's 300 short noses on loan (On Edo floats) and at least one long nose (on Wipline)

- The 100 models on float I could trace are used by Air BC, Harbour Air and mainly West Coast Air as well as some others by smaller companies. Some Kenn Borecks 100's have also been loaned to Maldivian Air Taxi (at least two of them)

They are all fitted with Edo floats.

I couldn't trace any 200 on floats (I don't mean they aren't any)

On the only six amphibs I could trace, three are privates 300's long nose on Wipline 13000 amphibious floats, the three remainings are 300 short nosed used by Canadian authorities.(on the same floats)

Hope this help

The reason only shortnosed twotters could become floatplanes was due to cemter of gravity problems with the longnosed.

Now there are socalled Wipline floats available for the twotters that can be used on the longnosed versions too.

Finn

Concerning shifting caps I recon that it is not possible then to change the cabs in the 300 modern version as there are only pilots with cabs in the 300 modern versions to choose from???

And thanks for the info about versions and floats ...

Another question - if you do a repaint for the otter what is the easiest way to align patterns that cover different segmets of the fuselage ... it has taken me hours to align those parts ??? ... The tail of the solomon repaint below took hours to get aligned - is there a trick?

Sorry Loules, my explainations are very confused and more or less wrong although your problem has a solution.

I will try to make a step by step procedure for you:

- Open the folder "Aerosoft Twin Otter 300"

- From this folder, copy the "model.300nh" folder

- Open the folder "Aerosoft Twin Otter 300 modern"

- Paste the "model.300nh" folder

- Open the "model.300nh" folder inside "Aerosoft Twin Otter 300 modern"

- Copy the "dhc6_nh.MDL" file

- Open the "model.GPS" folder

- Paste the "dhc6_nh.MDL" file in this folder

- Using Notepad, modify the model.cfg file contained into "model.300nh" folder to have these lines:

[models]

normal=dhc6_nh

interior=dhc6_int_gps

- Save your modified file

- Now, you may want to rename your "model.300nh" floder into "model.300nh GPS" (to avoid confusion with the original one.

- Last step, open your aircraft.cfg to modify the mdel= line with model=300nh GPS

- Save your modified file

You're done

Nice repaint your working on. If you need some ideas for other repaints, I may have some ideas!

Hope this Help

Thanx Zemke - it works and I have no more funny looking pilots!

Sounds nice with some good ideas for otter-repaints! What do you have in mind? ... besides solomon I've got canadian surveillance and a french army repaint ... would you like a copy?

By the way I have just started using the KLN-90B - its hard to find the precise fuelflow value for the tripplanner - do you have any experience? ... maybe it would be a good idea to find the real manual for the otter?

Thanks for the pics ... Ill look at it ...

Concerning the KNL 90 I can only recomend to take the time to get to know it. It has completely altered my experience of the otter - as you can calculate descends so you come down on the right spot on the rigt time - (you can even program it to get you down on a certain height say 10 nm before the destination airport so you have time to consider what gps-route to take) - it calculates fuel consumption so you only carry the fuel needed (makes a difference in handling in tough weather) - it also calculates head- or tail wind!

Concerning your ideas for at reapaint - I have already made one from the canadian coastguard - a "surveillance" version but its the same red color!

After I have made the Solomon-version I've flown a lot of Islands - istn there a Jamaican version or some version from a distant Islandgroup?

I dont have them public anyplace ... I can mail a zip if you give me an email-adress. But Im leaving for easter in about an hour ... so you have to answer quick or wait some days ...

By the way ... If you help me find the logos of the different airways (for instance Tamalik Air) it would go alot faster ...

• Aerosoft
I dont have them public anyplace ... I can mail a zip if you give me an email-adress. But Im leaving for easter in about an hour ... so you have to answer quick or wait some days ...

By the way ... If you help me find the logos of the different airways (for instance Tamalik Air) it would go alot faster ...

We suggest uploading them to Avsim or other major sites. This makes them easy to find for others and helps us by promoting the aircraft!

Thanks ... think they belong on your site anyways :)

Ill send them later ... please give feedback on the quality ... would like them to meet the high standards of your product!

• 2 weeks later...

So Loules, where are your repaints availables?

I really wish I could pick them up.

In between, I made a long nose Kenn Borek (although it should be a 300!) and a wheeled RCAF (although it should also be a 300 but short nosed)

Hi again ... Im still testing them ... but ill take the time to upload them at Avsim one of these days. Ill make sure to post a notice here so youll know.

I just made a Shangri-la Air version from the pic below. I've tried to make the fuselage look old and used so it fits into Luklas rugged atmosphere (I presume you have the scenery). The Yeti Air - livery is all to smoth and new for my taste ... so right now Im flying a lot of small trips to the difficult airstrips near Lukla.

Sounds great with the Ken Borek ... youll hear from me