Long load times after installing Simple Traffic

Mr Mike

Literally installed it 5 minutes ago and put it on my 2nd M.2 ssd drive and my load times for flights are taking 10-15 minutes. I have no idea why this simple addon is creating this issue but I can assure you it is the addon. I flew a flight last night before buying this addon and everything loaded quickly and fine. Any suggestions aerosoft? I remember having issues when the CRJ came out so this seems to be par for the course with you guys lately. I will remove the files and test my load times again and then install again and report my findings. I am wondering if it is because the files are installed on my second drive but that is where I have MSFS installed.

• Aerosoft

Well, Traffic add-ons always consists of many small files and that tends to slow starting of the sim down.  There is absolutely nothing that can be done to change things. A fast disk and above anything enough memory helps a lot.

Uninstalled the addon and MSFS flight loaded within 2 minutes. I was on the runway that quick. I am now going to install the addon to the C drive which shouldn't make a difference as the sim is installed on my faster m.2 second drive. I will report back in a few on how that goes.

Well in my case I followed Mathijs suggestion to strip out addons from the community folder and that solved my endless loading issue (i didn't wait 15 mins and terminated the sim when it was obvious the loading time was ludicrously long) so try that perhaps and then add things back in bit by bit to see if something is causing your long load time. That is what I am doing to try and trace the clash.

With all due respect to the admin, I cannot fathom how that file structure would cause such a very long load time. To be honest I never even got the flight loaded because it was taking well over 10 minutes. If that is your go to answer I suggest something more helpful than what you responded with. The sim loads fine, its the flight loading that takes forever and as I said i had to stop the sim because my flight would just there at the loading screen.
My specs are way above what is required to run the sim. I have 64 gigs of ram and a 1TB M.2 ssd drive which is the fastest drive out at the moment. I run this sim at 60fps usually unless it is a very dense area.

I installed it to my C drive and the problem still persist. Could it be an initial load time issue?
I am running a timer to see exactly how long it takes to load the flight. IF, it ever does. I would think this would be something that would have been tested before now. I shouldn't have to test functionality of your products after I buy them.

I only have one addon installed and that's the Carenado C172. I do have MSFS realistic installed but it runs outside of MSFS 2020 and can't see how that would effect this product.

I have been waiting over 30 minutes to load the flight. MSFS is using 37% of my CPU and the GPU is running constantly at 98%!

I think that I will terminate MSFS and then wait for a solution.

• Aerosoft
11 minutes ago, Mr Mike said:

With all due respect to the admin, I cannot fathom how that file structure would cause such a very long load time.

If it takes a veryyyyy long time it could indicate an issue. But what that could be is beyond my comprehension.  We have not seen this issue in any test and have not seen any other comment about it that was not explained by the fact it was loading from a HD and not SSD.

• Aerosoft
2 minutes ago, pipeorgan said:

I have been waiting over 30 minutes to load the flight. MSFS is using 37% of my CPU and the GPU is running constantly at 98%!

I think that I will terminate MSFS and then wait for a solution.

But there is not solution we can give. The add-on is fully to SDK specs and we have a few thousand customers (sales are exploding)  who do not have this issue. As always our advise is to remove all other add-ons and see if that makes a difference. Three customers have already identified possible conflicts we are investigating.

But honestly, do not wait for us for a fix on this. 

I feel this is not related to Simple Traffic... Have seen similar behaviour after adding new sceneries as well...

Try to delete the content.xml file before starting MSFS, most of the time it helps!

It seems to clash with add-on airports. I have about 10 of them from Pilot Pilot and ORBX. I am just trying to prove that now but so far just about every non airport related mod has been put back into the community folder and it loads up fine.

• Aerosoft
5 minutes ago, cbc said:

It seems to clash with add-on airports. I have about 10 of them from Pilot Pilot and ORBX. I am just trying to prove that now but so far just about every non airport related mod has been put back into the community folder and it loads up fine.

We would be very interested in that! It seems VERY hard to understand why an airport could cause an issue, again we do not manipulate AI traffic, just paint it.

See this:

21 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

If it takes a veryyyyy long time it could indicate an issue. But what that could be is beyond my comprehension.  We have not seen this issue in any test and have not seen any other comment about it that was not explained by the fact it was loading from a HD and not SSD.

So can you pass this issue up to the Devs?? Is there a way to open a support ticket? I have uninstalled this 3 times and even went in and setup the traffic accordingly PRIOR to installing this addon and the issue still exists. I don't use any HD, i have two M.2 ssd drives on my machine so I can guarantee you that is not the problem. How long were the load times during the testing phase prior to rolling this out?

I have NO addons installed. NO addon scenery at all. This is a vanilla install of MSFS with the exception of having a carenado C172 plane installed and using MSFS realistic which should not interact with this product at all.

35 minutes ago, Er!k said:

I feel this is not related to Simple Traffic... Have seen similar behaviour after adding new sceneries as well...

Try to delete the content.xml file before starting MSFS, most of the time it helps!

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried searching for the content.xml file but could not find it, where should it be?

FS Realistic is a sound generator that runs in the background to give more realistic sounds to aircraft in msfs 2020. After some testing I tried a smaller airport and the flight loaded but was running at a terrible frame rate. 18-25 fps. It absolutley would not load an airport such as KATL which is a very busy airport.

14 minutes ago, pipeorgan said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried searching for the content.xml file but could not find it, where should it be?

Sim from Marketplace:
%localAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Sim from Steam:
%appData%\Microsoft Flight Simulator

• Aerosoft
37 minutes ago, Mr Mike said:

So can you pass this issue up to the Devs?? Is there a way to open a support ticket? I have uninstalled this 3 times and even went in and setup the traffic accordingly PRIOR to installing this addon and the issue still exists. I don't use any HD, i have two M.2 ssd drives on my machine so I can guarantee you that is not the problem. How long were the load times during the testing phase prior to rolling this out?

Mike, the developers are reading this. I am very sorry you have this issue but when we have a few thousands of customers who do NOT have this issue we are pretty sure this is an issue local to your machine.  

And yes I understand that is not a reply you will like. But what exactly do you want me to do? We know exactly (very precise) how long it takes for the sim to read a file so we can predict with mathematical precision how much an add-on will extend the loading of the sim. These tests are 100% standard for any professional add-on maker and we did these test extensively for this add-on as we knew adding so many folders would have an effect. As said EVERY AI traffic addon that adds what we do will have the same effect.  No way around that. Add a file and it adds time. add a thousand files and it adds a lot more. In our test we saw exactly what we expected, a noticeable longer loading time.  But totally within what the spreadsheet predicted.

Now how much longer it takes depends on many things. 32 Gb mem helps a LOT, surprisingly an Gen4 SSD connection helped a lot, we already know that on a Ryzen system loading times are better then on a Intel. But on a 100% virgin system you should expect about 15% longer loading times. If it is more there is some block on your system we have no control over. Telling us it take way longer, sending us statistics, videos etc will not help a lot as they only show the effect, not what causes it.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

But honestly, do not wait for us for a fix on this. 

Same problem here. I've benn waiting for 30 min.. This is broking the sim since I cannot start it; I am not willing to investigate what the problem is. Without Simple traffic everything works, so simple traffic is the problem.

Fix this asap or give us the possibility to have the money back.

Than

Interestingly enough, I got it to work at a smaller airport. It worked on using AI Offline and using the recommended settings according to the manual. The manual says you can use AI Offline or AI Online but I only have AI Offline or REAL TIME Online. 

It however would not load up at KATL. It would sit at the loading screen.  I am fine with an increase in load time just as long as it does not take 15 minutes or more to load into a flight. That is unacceptable by probably anyone's standards. When it did load at KCLT it took about 2 mins longer than normal which is fine. 

As I said before, my system runs on 64Gb of memory and two very fast M.2 SSD drives. It is an Intel 7 CPU so it is not slouch by any means. I did turn off FSRealistic but after thinking about it, I think it was the airport I was trying to load that was causing it not to run. it seems the program may not like big airports with a large number of aircraft?

• Aerosoft
1 minute ago, Misteroscar said:

Same problem here. I've benn waiting for 30 min.. This is broking the sim since I cannot start it; I am not willing to investigate what the problem is. Without Simple traffic everything works, so simple traffic is the problem.

Fix this asap or give us the possibility to have the money back.

Than

Than, we have a few thousand customers where it works and you were it does not work.  Exactly how would you think that could work?  Did we publish an add-on that works with all corrupted sims and not with your perfect sim?

• Aerosoft
2 minutes ago, Mr Mike said:

Interestingly enough, I got it to work at a smaller airport. It worked on using AI Offline and using the recommended settings according to the manual. The manual says you can use AI Offline or AI Online but I only have AI Offline or REAL TIME Online. 

It however would not load up at KATL. It would sit at the loading screen.  I am fine with an increase in load time just as long as it does not take 15 minutes or more to load into a flight. That is unacceptable by probably anyone's standards. When it did load at KCLT it took about 2 mins longer than normal which is fine. 

As I said before, my system runs on 64Gb of memory and two very fast M.2 SSD drives. It is an Intel 7 CPU so it is not slouch by any means. I did turn off FSRealistic but after thinking about it, I think it was the airport I was trying to load that was causing it not to run. it seems the program may not like big airports with a large number of aircraft?

Mike, read my post again, I simply do not have a lot more to say. Again i know you will not like that but when something works with all our testers and few thousand of users, how can it be faulty?

Archived