Problem on ILS Approaches -CRJ7

Not sure what I am doing wrong.   I'm intercepting the ILS, autopilot is in NAV / ALT mode with APR armed.   Localizer is then captured, which results in NAV/ALT being automatically shut off and I'm in APR mode.   At this point, the aircraft starts descending at a high rate (and yes, I'm already at the correct altitude for the glideslope intercept (ie - below the GS).  Only way to get re-established is to shut off the autopilot and hand fly to get back to the correct altitude.    At that point after a short amount of time, I switch back to APR mode and both LOC and GS work fine.   

What am I doing wrong here? 

On a related note - do I have to manually enter the ILS frequency?   I read/flew the tutorial flight and am a bit confused.   I thought the FMS automatically tuned the frequencies?

Thank you in advance for any/all assistance.    This sim is amazing!  

2 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

1. At what speed to you intercept the GS?

2. ILS Freq and CRS gets auto tuned.

Re - item one, I will admit that I was underspeed when this happened (a bit under V-ref).  Even after going to climb power, the aircraft will wanted to lose altitude.  

Archived