Advisory VNAV, all forgotten...

Hi all, after some months not flying with the CRJ, I do not manage to get this VNAV advisory back onto my MFD anymore. Before, it was possible that it told me the ideal sink rate to keep up with the flightplan, e.g. 1900ft/min. How do I get this back? Thanks for any hint...

The CRJ is typically equipped with ADVISORY VNAV only.  It projects a TOD that will get you to hard restriction, CROSS AT 11000, for example.  It will also do the same with any pilot entered altitudes in the FMS.  It assumes a -1800 fmp descent and does not take into account wind and stuff.  You have to manipulate the controls to keep the snowflake centered on descent.

The other option is COUPLED VNAV, selectable from the aircraft options menu.  I don't use it as there not a lot of real world CRJ so equipped and I like being the pilot in this aircraft.

14 hours ago, Querer said:

Hi all, after some months not flying with the CRJ, I do not manage to get this VNAV advisory back onto my MFD anymore. Before, it was possible that it told me the ideal sink rate to keep up with the flightplan, e.g. 1900ft/min. How do I get this back? Thanks for any hint...

The AS CRJ has lacked the rate of descent on the MFD VNAV window since the original CRJ X release and it is not present on the MSFS version either. Has never been mentioned to be on the to-do list by any of the devs that I am aware of either. It's a fairly major missing feature that gets a lot of use in real life for a majority of CRJ pilots.

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

It assumes a -1800 fmp descent

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your intention, but it calculates based on descent angle, not a fixed rate.

Jonas, I think the original question (which people have been asking for quite a while across different versions of the CRJ) is this On the real CRJ, the information shown in the VNAV window on the  MFD includes the vertical speed required to hit the next altitude restraint, e.g. -1700 in the photo of a real CRJ.  In the VNAV window on the  MFD in 'our' CRJ this is missing as per the screenshot I just took during a descent using advisory VNAV, all we get is the snowflake next to the altimeter strip showing the descent path and the blue dot on the VSI showing the target vertical speed (approx -1000 fpm in this case). The target vertical speed is shown in the FMC, how do we make it appear here like it does in the real plane ? 

Querer, the short answer seems to be that you can't, follow the snowflake like it's a glideslope and watch the blue dot on the VSI for an idea of the descent rate you need. 

Interesting, and credit where it's due : the photo was pinched from the first post in this thread from 5 months ago asking the exact same thing, my link is to a reply from Matthew2312 talking about why the PFD indicators (snowflake and blue dot) don't always match the MFD indicator (target rate as a number) and why the snowflake is generally better to use.

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

Archived