CRJ Autopilot Wiil Not Engage

I purchased MSFS and Aerosoft's CRJ for MSFS several days ago. I spent quite a long time getting familiar with the settings and am happy right now with my view and control assignments, with one exception. The CRJ autopilot will not engage. It did engage the first time I went for a short flight, but not since. I have reset the sim and reinstalled the aircraft but no change. I have read the manual and think that the settings in the aircraft are right for autopilot - FD's engaged, yaw dampers and stab trim on, mach trim off (or on, it doesn't make any difference) ALT above 600 ft, stable flight. AP bar on the glare shield up. Also, I am trying to engage AP with a mouse click rather than the assigned button on my Honeycomb Bravo, but that button doesn't work either. HDG, NAV, VS etc engage, but not AP.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening and a possible fix would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin

I also use the Honeycomb Bravo, and I also experienced this issue.  The problem was with the Yaw Damper.  I could see "Yaw Damper" in yellow text on the MFD.  I went into my controller settings, and removed the button assignments for Yaw Damper.  I went back in-game, and once the "Yaw Damper" text went away, I was able to engage AP.  I can't recall whether or not I had to manually hit the YD buttons or not, but it appeared to be a conflict with the YD Bravo button assignment.

• Aerosoft
11 hours ago, bigmarty said:

I purchased MSFS and Aerosoft's CRJ for MSFS several days ago. I spent quite a long time getting familiar with the settings and am happy right now with my view and control assignments, with one exception. The CRJ autopilot will not engage. It did engage the first time I went for a short flight, but not since. I have reset the sim and reinstalled the aircraft but no change. I have read the manual and think that the settings in the aircraft are right for autopilot - FD's engaged, yaw dampers and stab trim on, mach trim off (or on, it doesn't make any difference) ALT above 600 ft, stable flight. AP bar on the glare shield up. Also, I am trying to engage AP with a mouse click rather than the assigned button on my Honeycomb Bravo, but that button doesn't work either. HDG, NAV, VS etc engage, but not AP.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening and a possible fix would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin

Hi Martin,

in case you experience this situation again, a screenshot of your PFD and status page might be really helpful. :)

16 hours ago, CaptHawkeye said:

I also use the Honeycomb Bravo, and I also experienced this issue.  The problem was with the Yaw Damper.  I could see "Yaw Damper" in yellow text on the MFD.  I went into my controller settings, and removed the button assignments for Yaw Damper.  I went back in-game, and once the "Yaw Damper" text went away, I was able to engage AP.  I can't recall whether or not I had to manually hit the YD buttons or not, but it appeared to be a conflict with the YD Bravo button assignment.

Thank you CaptHawkeye for the response.  My controller settings do not have a button assignment for Yaw Damper, so there is nothing for me to remove.  I get the yellow test YD in the MFD but this goes away when I engage one of the yaw dampers.

6 hours ago, Jonas S. said:

Hi Martin,

in case you experience this situation again, a screenshot of your PFD and status page might be really helpful. :)

I dont know what you mean by "status page". but tell me and I will send a screen shot of it. Thanks for helping.

Is the attached what you are looking for?  I started the sim without the Honeycomb Bravo plugged in. Without the Bravo, when I click on the AP button I get the "beep beep" which is not evident when the Bravo is plugged in. I obviously can't fly without the TQ, but I expect that AP would engage. The "beep beep" goes away when the Bravo is plugged in.

Thanks again for your help.

Please login to display this image.

Another thing - I have discovered that button 8 on the Bravo (the auto pilot master in the default settings) activates the auto pilot disengage up/down lever, even when the button is not assigned to anything in my custom settings.

Thanks as always.

Martin

vor 2 Stunden , bigmarty sagte:

Is the attached what you are looking for?  I started the sim without the Honeycomb Bravo plugged in. Without the Bravo, when I click on the AP button I get the "beep beep" which is not evident when the Bravo is plugged in. I obviously can't fly without the TQ, but I expect that AP would engage. The "beep beep" goes away when the Bravo is plugged in.

Thanks again for your help.

The picture shows clearly that YAW DAMPERS are NOT engaged....

I think we are again into the trap of believing something is happening BECAUSE we are doing something, when it is probably WHILE doing something.  I have posted this numerous times but here goes....

1. Asobo thinks they know how everyone wants or should use controllers so they create default profiles for them.  Controllers mean...joystick, yoke, throttle, throttle quadrant, mouse and yes keyboard.  

2. These default profiles will drive you nuts.

3. There is ONLY one way to fix this.

4. for EVERY aircraft you fly, create new...this is important...BLANK profiles for every controller (see list above) you will use for that airplane.

5. VERY IMPORTANT name them differently because you will have to remember what controller profile goes with what plane.  For example if setting up a keyboard for the A320, call it Keyboard A320.

6. Determine how YOU want to interact with the sim.  What commands do you want on your keyboard?  What commands on the mouse?  Think this through for every controller you have.  Some are obvious like yaw or pitch.  Some are not like parking brake on/off

7. Set up your profiles and save them.

8. Have fun and don't forget that anytime you change your airplane you will need to load the correct profiles.  

Now that seems like a lot of work doesn't it?  So do yourself the big favor of getting either SpadNext or Axis and Ohs (I recommend Axis and Ohs because that is what I use).  What you say?  Why should I buy another program to operate the plane I just bought?  Well because it is not for that plane.  It is for ANY plane, addon or default.  Axis and Ohs will allow you to create very simple or very complex command inputs, assign them to one or more aircraft and generate a profile.  Here is the best part.  You don't have to remember what profile is assigned.  Axis and Ohs reads the loaded plane and loads the correct profile.  You also don't have to worry about updates.  Your profiles are safe outside of the sim.

You can see my set up in my signature.  They are all controlled by Axis and Ohs plus I have one additional throttle that I use primarily as a tiller.  My keyboard profile in the sim is blank except for view manipulation commands.  

I can tell you with almost "I will give you my firstborn child" certainty that there is no problem with your CRJ.  I now have several hundred hours in this aircraft since it's first release.  Never once has the AP failed to engage unless I did meet the requirements as outlined in the manual for AP to engage.  

Take control of your sim controls and get one of the programs I mentioned.

2 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

The picture shows clearly that YAW DAMPERS are NOT engaged....

Yes, but I am not sure Jonas S. is looking for. I took the screenshot just after starting the aircraft (ready to taxi via Dave, before engaging the yaw dampers or anything else.  Engaging the yaw dampers or not has no effect on the AP issue.

16 minutes ago, Crabby said:

I think we are again into the trap of believing something is happening BECAUSE we are doing something, when it is probably WHILE doing something.  I have posted this numerous times but here goes....

1. Asobo thinks they know how everyone wants or should use controllers so they create default profiles for them.  Controllers mean...joystick, yoke, throttle, throttle quadrant, mouse and yes keyboard.  

2. These default profiles will drive you nuts.

3. There is ONLY one way to fix this.

4. for EVERY aircraft you fly, create new...this is important...BLANK profiles for every controller (see list above) you will use for that airplane.

5. VERY IMPORTANT name them differently because you will have to remember what controller profile goes with what plane.  For example if setting up a keyboard for the A320, call it Keyboard A320.

6. Determine how YOU want to interact with the sim.  What commands do you want on your keyboard?  What commands on the mouse?  Think this through for every controller you have.  Some are obvious like yaw or pitch.  Some are not like parking brake on/off

7. Set up your profiles and save them.

8. Have fun and don't forget that anytime you change your airplane you will need to load the correct profiles.  

Now that seems like a lot of work doesn't it?  So do yourself the big favor of getting either SpadNext or Axis and Ohs (I recommend Axis and Ohs because that is what I use).  What you say?  Why should I buy another program to operate the plane I just bought?  Well because it is not for that plane.  It is for ANY plane, addon or default.  Axis and Ohs will allow you to create very simple or very complex command inputs, assign them to one or more aircraft and generate a profile.  Here is the best part.  You don't have to remember what profile is assigned.  Axis and Ohs reads the loaded plane and loads the correct profile.  You also don't have to worry about updates.  Your profiles are safe outside of the sim.

You can see my set up in my signature.  They are all controlled by Axis and Ohs plus I have one additional throttle that I use primarily as a tiller.  My keyboard profile in the sim is blank except for view manipulation commands.  

I can tell you with almost "I will give you my firstborn child" certainty that there is no problem with your CRJ.  I now have several hundred hours in this aircraft since it's first release.  Never once has the AP failed to engage unless I did meet the requirements as outlined in the manual for AP to engage.  

Take control of your sim controls and get one of the programs I mentioned.

Yes, well I have set up separate profiles for all my controllers with different names  I also have AxesAndOhs and have tried to set up the AP button directly in AxesAbdOhs and also using custom Lvars and Scripts, without success.

I am glad to hear that there is no problem with CRJ, but I do think there is an issue between the CRJ and the Bravo.

50 minutes ago, bigmarty said:

Yes, well I have set up separate profiles for all my controllers with different names  I also have AxesAndOhs and have tried to set up the AP button directly in AxesAbdOhs and also using custom Lvars and Scripts, without success.

I am glad to hear that there is no problem with CRJ, but I do think there is an issue between the CRJ and the Bravo.

let me find the scripts I use.

I actually have these templates and tried them before but was not able to get them to work consistently, so I gave up on them. I have now downloaded and installed them again from your post and, lo and behold, I think they might work for me. At least I am getting the "beep beep" sound when pressing the AP button on the Bravo, and green lights on the AP button after yaw dampers are engaged. Don't have time right now, but will set up and try a quick flight tomorrow am and post.

Appreciate your help, thank you.

Martin

on mine, i have the problem that i can not adjust the alt with the knob >.<, only the alt button but not increase oder decrease the altimeter, the lights are the same thing, anybody that tested it on the new crj 1000? aerosoft says the bravo ist compatible. 

vor 12 Stunden , bigmarty sagte:

Yes, but I am not sure Jonas S. is looking for. I took the screenshot just after starting the aircraft (ready to taxi via Dave, before engaging the yaw dampers or anything else.  Engaging the yaw dampers or not has no effect on the AP issue.

If I'm not mistaking, AP can't be engaged without YD enabled an I think that Jonas wanted to see the ACFT configuration just before you try to engage the AP (so that he can observe if something is missing / missconfigured).

One of the other issues that happens A LOT...  

When clicking on things people accidentally trip the AP DISC Bar ... or they have a joystick mapping that is setting that ..  And it is not a Toggle..

So that little BAR under the AP button may be in the down position and thus the AP is completely offline.

I think someone posted a picture once that shows a RED LINE just behind the bar when it is down and that line is hidden when the Bar is up...

Anyway check the bar with the arrow pointed at it -- and again make sure if using MSFS bindings that you don't have one for AP Disconnect ... there is another one for AP OFF or something that is not this :)

Archived