What on Earth am I doing wrong??? (VECT and Transponder issues)

The CRJ550/700 is the first payware plane I've ever gotten in the Flight Simulator series, and I purchased it because of how much I flew the CRJ in FSX.  However, I cannot seem to figure out two problems that happen every single flight in the 700 that are ruining the experience.  I know it has to be something on my end, but I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong:

- The first problem is the Autopilot never locking onto the navigation route in the FMS.  This being the first payware plane I've had, it's the first time I've had to program the FMS prior to the flight.  Since I've been trying to learn the operation of the plane during flight, I've been importing my Simbrief flight plan by entering the filename in the "ROUTE" line on the FMS (This video is what I'm doing, if this is helpful:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEiyuJPbUBM&ab_channel=BobbyFuzzy).  I also make sure the initial location is set, INS is aligned, departure procedure is set, and performance figures are imported correctly.  Once all that's done, I'll remove the Discontinuities.  Something that may be of note at this point is that the route on the MFD does not show the departure procedure, simply a line from the departure airport to the first waypoint.

Once I'm in the air and have turned to intercept the nav route (ATC has told me to head to the first waypoint), I'll engage the autopilot to follow the route, but this is where things go wrong every single time:  The FMS displays "VECT" and will not follow the route.  Usually it just continues in whatever direction the plane was pointed in when I enabled the autopilot.  Curiously, this hasn't happened in the 550, but happens in the 700 every single time.  

I found a topic on this (https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/162337-vect/#comment-1033272) that says VECT is a condition where I'd be waiting for departure vectors, but the in-sim ATC doesn't give me the vectors because I've been told to go to the first waypoint.  I've tried manually flying to the first waypoint but haven't found success in this either, it just stays in VECT mode.

- The second problem is related to the transponder and has happened in both the 550 and the 700:  Even when I set the transponder codes manually (through the FMS) to what ATC told me to use, ATC says the transponders are not working and cancels the flight plan.  Something I have noticed is the radio panel on the bottom part of the center console (I'm not sure what its called) shows STBY under the transponder code, so I'm assuming there's a switch somewhere to turn it on that I'm unaware of.  Is this the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'd really like to use these two planes as "main" aircraft, but these two issues are making it impossible to do so.  Like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm simply missing something being new to this level of detail, I simply cannot figure out what!

Hey bud for your transponder issue check that it's either in at 1 or 2 to do this right by your right leg a radio right about where your hip would be I believe it's right above the mach trip push buttons the switch is a Rotary switch set it to either one or two when you do that you should see your transponder code go from white in the radio box to yellow showing you that it's working should also get that annoying tcas message off the pfd 

2 hours ago, mholden020 said:

The FMS displays "VECT" and will not follow the route.  Usually it just continues in whatever direction the plane was pointed in when I enabled the autopilot.

The VECTORS leg is a transition from an arrival (STAR) to the approach segment (=> vectors to final) and does not apply to departure procedures. If you receive an ATC departure clearance with vectors they will most probably give you an initial waypoint where your filed routing starts. This waypoint should be the first leg on the LEGS page (active = magenta colour). However, you should select the actual departure runway beforehand from the DEP/ARR page (=> this is just a workaround for one of the many FMS related bugs of this addon). Once you are cleared to your first waypoint you can copy it in the scratchpad and then back on the same position in order to align the course line to your actual position. Check that your NAV source on the PFD is FMS and then select NAV mode on the FCP.

Concerning your transponder problem @Exp05 is right. It's switch No. 5 as shown below.

Please login to display this image.

Thanks guys, I was looking right at that transponder switch so that's pretty embarrassing that I missed it!

I'll work on how to copy the waypoint to move on through the legs, but last night when I had this issue I had selected both the departure runway and the departure procedure from the DEP/ARR page and made sure it was correct.  I will do it again to see if I can get the same result, however.  Nav source was FMS1 and I had selected NAV on the FCP.

As for the tutorial, I have run through the tutorial a couple of times.  However, the tutorial doesn't address issues like this one that can render the plane unusable if you're new to it and simply serves as a walkthrough for the basic systems.  I also looked in the FMS manual and there's no mention of "VECT" anywhere in that file, which it probably should be mentioned if it's this easy to run into.

On 11/11/2021 at 11:33 PM, mholden020 said:

I know it has to be something on my end, but I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong:

Not reading the manuals and flying the tutorial flight. 

5 hours ago, Crabby said:

Not reading the manuals and flying the tutorial flight. 

Did both, but thanks for your lack of input.  If you'd read through this you would have seen both where I mentioned having done the tutorials as well as pointing out how my problem doesn't appear in the manuals.

20 hours ago, mholden020 said:

Did both, but thanks for your lack of input.  If you'd read through this you would have seen both where I mentioned having done the tutorials as well as pointing out how my problem doesn't appear in the manuals.

Well far be it from me to admit when I am wrong, however I actually read word for word AND searched for the terms "manual" and "tutorial".  Since you claimed to have mentioned doing both I figured the terms would at least show up.  Alas, they did not.  Manually showed up a couple of times but not "manual" or "tutorial".  Also, having flown simulators from the time they came on a 5.25 floppy and study level aircraft since before that was even a term coupled with the fact that I have over 200 hours in THIS aircraft I can tell you without any reservation that your problems are all waiting to be solved in the manual and tutorial coupled with following flows and checklists.  On the contrary, you can downvote this post too and continue wondering "what am I doing wrong".  The choice is yours.  I will give you a hint though, VECT is NOT a waypoint that the aircraft can LNAV to or from, and I am sure you must have read the part in the manual where you have to select either Transponder 1 or 2 to go into mode C.  You can't learn to hit a golf ball while playing a game of golf and you can't learn to manage an airplanes systems while flying.  I have had the AS CRJ since it was first release on another sim.  I have had every version of it.  Every time I spend my hard earned money on getting a new aircraft, I spend my time (normally at least a day) reading manuals before I get in the air.  I STUDY the STUDY level aircraft I buy.  

10 hours ago, Crabby said:

Since you claimed to have mentioned doing both I figured the terms would at least show up.  Alas, they did not.  Manually showed up a couple of times but not "manual" or "tutorial".

You might need to work on both your reading and searching skills as the below quote should show you...

On 11/13/2021 at 5:19 AM, mholden020 said:

As for the tutorial, I have run through the tutorial a couple of times.  However, the tutorial doesn't address issues like this one that can render the plane unusable if you're new to it and simply serves as a walkthrough for the basic systems.  I also looked in the FMS manual and there's no mention of "VECT" anywhere in that file, which it probably should be mentioned if it's this easy to run into.

5 hours ago, CRJay said:

You might need to work on both your reading and searching skills as the below quote should show you...

That posts has nothing to do with what I commented on nor is it relevant to his problem.  

6 hours ago, Crabby said:

That posts has nothing to do with what I commented on nor is it relevant to his problem.  

Ah yes. It is not as if you are clearly complaining about not being able to find him saying he has flown the tutorial and read the manual. And then highlighting those things in the post right before your irrelevant and unhelpful comment is clearly completely not relevant to it. 

You are on a different planet man. Get your head out of your…

2 hours ago, CRJay said:

Ah yes. It is not as if you are clearly complaining about not being able to find him saying he has flown the tutorial and read the manual. And then highlighting those things in the post right before your irrelevant and unhelpful comment is clearly completely not relevant to it. 

You are on a different planet man. Get your head out of your…

I said that I searched his post, not POSTS.  Now I understand that you must have too much time on your hands in your momma's basement, but playing forum hero is, well stupid.  The dude clearly did not read the manuals.  If he did the tutorial flight he clearly did not pay attention and only mentioned it later.  Also if you want to say the word ass, just say it.  You cannot offend me but if you want to talk like a man own it. 

9 hours ago, Crabby said:

I said that I searched his post, not POSTS. 

Hmm, interesting, you actually said no such thing (see quote below). But you seem to be unable to admit to being wrong. At the very least you should have read the full thread before jumping in with irrelevant drivel.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:38 AM, Crabby said:

Well far be it from me to admit when I am wrong, however I actually read word for word AND searched for the terms "manual" and "tutorial".  Since you claimed to have mentioned doing both I figured the terms would at least show up.  Alas, they did not.

You really need to work on your attitude, and honestly, moderators should do more to keep people like you in check. You are berating, belittling and mocking paying Aerosoft customers and it is beyond belief that people like @Mathijs Kok and the "Sheriffs" around here let you and even encourage it.

4 hours ago, CRJay said:

Hmm, interesting, you actually said no such thing (see quote below). But you seem to be unable to admit to being wrong. At the very least you should have read the full thread before jumping in with irrelevant drivel.

You really need to work on your attitude, and honestly, moderators should do more to keep people like you in check. You are berating, belittling and mocking paying Aerosoft customers and it is beyond belief that people like @Mathijs Kok and the "Sheriffs" around here let you and even encourage it.

LOL, typical.  You came after me and called me an ass.  You have berated, belittled and mocked me and I am a paying AS customer.  You sir are nothing more than a hypocrite.  You decided to come in an hijack this thread in the form of a personal attack on me.  Freaking hypocrite.  Typical.

Archived