How does AIG compare to Simple Traffic?

• Aerosoft

We have seen AIG has been released and like to take this opportunity to say it is simply good freeware.

Now I hear many of you starting to snicker, wishing your 'competitor' all the best, right..... But it is true. At Aerosoft we love freeware projects and are well known to to support them.  Ask the guys behind FlyByWire and others. And yes we will do an A320 so they will be competitors. Does not matter, we feel there is room for freeware and commercial products next to each other. 

Now clearly the two products are not the same in build, we base it on the standard AI traffic and try to keep things as simple as possible. Traffic add-on traditionally are complex and costly in support. The smallest issue with a livery can cause the sim to crash so quality control is super important. AIG software downloads older FS models, repaints, and traffic schedules from various AI forums, and then injects these as AI objects into the sim via a secondary program running externally. In contrast, Simple Traffic only reuses components that are already present within MSFS, and simply adds realistic liveries and schedules. This ensures minimal impact on system resources, loading times, and disk space, all inside the sim. Now you see why we called it 'Simple Traffic'? Because it is, run the installer and forget about it. Enjoy your sim. Updates are inserted automatic. No exe files that need to talk to the sim. 

So AIG aims for a totally different customer. We know we will sell the majority of Simple Traffic copies via the Microsoft Marketplace and that Xbox users will probably the biggest market. The Xbox market is massive and not being able to reach those will limit any DLC. So while we will have to compete on features for a part of the market, it does not affect us a lot. 

I have AIG running on one of my systems and I like it. I needed some time to get it running (Windows 11 caused a weird issue that is almost 99% sure not related) and while otherwise reported the fact models not created for MSFS do not cause more load, the simple fact they are more complex was noticeable on larger airports. But it is good freeware. No question about that. 

Good topic Mathijs! I used AIG for years and spend hours per week adding new airlines, models and liveries. Also switching between summer and winter and adding own plans as well... In the end I had about 1.500 airlines and GA schedules installed.

When MSFS came out I was excited about on-line AI. This means I do not have to update my schedules twice a year (i.e. to see a winter peak in LOWI and a summer peak in LEBL)...

I know, it is not perfect, but I want more time flying then tweaking. So my choice is Simple Traffic for now. 

Would development of a full-fledged commercial MSFS AI solution (like the now defunct UT oder WOAI) be a long-term option for Aerosoft? I understand this would be a pretty ambitious project, but I think Aerosoft would be in a position to master such a project. Not asking about something available for X-mas, but in a year, perhaps.

AIG certainly is an able project but installation and maintenance probably isn't everyone's coup of tea.

Kind regards, Michael

• Aerosoft
10 hours ago, pmb said:

Would development of a full-fledged commercial MSFS AI solution (like the now defunct UT oder WOAI) be a long-term option for Aerosoft? I understand this would be a pretty ambitious project, but I think Aerosoft would be in a position to master such a project. Not asking about something available for X-mas, but in a year, perhaps.

Most certainly!  But it all depends a lot on what the sim can offer. See, if the Real-Time Traffic starts to work really well the only thing that is needed are the liveries (okay also more models) because what is more realistic then the actual real traffic? So basically Simple Traffic WITHOUT the modules that determine what airline is most likely on what airport.  Funny enough, that would be an even simpler Simple Traffic, lol.

As I wrote, we want our products to be usable on all platforms. Marketplace (thus Xbox) and external shops, and that means we have to work inside the sim. 

• Aerosoft

As we now have released Simple Traffic and to be honest, in the first 6 hours we sold a shed load. We have zero confirmed issue. It is one of those releases that is near perfect.

But what bugs me off a lot is that even though I explained clearly that we like AIG and that we believe it is simple very good freeware, the fans of AIG seem to hell bent to call the thousands of people who bought Simple Traffic stupid and ill informed. We have no wish to 'compete' with AIG. Why would we? Makes no sense. With our current sales and those in the future on the Marketplace (for Xbox!!) we have a product that will be in the top three of our products this year (yeah, even though it was launched half November!).

What more do we want? Hurt AIG? Why would we want to do that? The people behind that project are seriously cool, if they would ask us for some assistance we would help them!. They are making the sim look a lot better for free. Aerosoft sells the sim and a lot of DLC for it. If AIG makes the sim look better we sell more airports, more CRJ's and more Twin Otters. It is as simple as that. And while doing that Simple Traffic sells like hot buns on a wintery morning. 

So where is the need to go ballistic on forums? 

A serious question: Why did Aerosoft not choose to design/add custom aircrafts for MSFS?
I like the 'simple' idea but at this moment I prefer AIG because of the realistic and diverse plane models.

Just curious... 😉 

Simple answer is AIG Traffic is better in everything, because they dont use the worst AI System by Asobo. They are doing it the right way! I only hope Aerosoft will use the money I spent in simple traffic for building an Addon like AIG.

• Aerosoft
39 minutes ago, Matthijs88 said:

A serious question: Why did Aerosoft not choose to design/add custom aircrafts for MSFS?
I like the 'simple' idea but at this moment I prefer AIG because of the realistic and diverse plane models.

Just curious... 😉 

And  a serious answer!

The problem with using your own models is that you run into a massive problem. There will always be people who are upset the aircraft they feel should be ABSOLUTELY included is not in there and call us morons because we do not understand. So you end up with a massive amount of models you have to make and maintain. That means months of pretty well paid work and you end up with a product that costs 35 Euro and still uses the same AI traffic that we all know leaves something to be desired.  Now AIG overcame that obstacle by using volunteers and using  a lot of old material that is not fully MSFS standard. You see that in reflections for example and also in the details of the liveries. And while the default models are rather crude, they are incredibly efficient and impact of them is simply a lot lower then using AIG.  With roughly the same traffic shown we see around 15% less polygons being drawn on larger airports with Simple Traffic. And as our polygons and textures are all pure MSFS they are also handled better (certainly in DX12).

In the end, it all a bit of a non argument as there is very little overlap between the customer we aim for with Simple Traffic and the user like you who is willing tweak the sim. While we are selling a sh*tload on our store and our affiliates, we know the real sales will be on the Marketplace. At this moment Xbox users are a massive part of the users and we want to reach those. And that can only be via the Marketplace. So even if AIG would take 10% of our market right now (and they better have some very serious servers if they do), it still would not matter a lot to us.  

Now, I was just watching a YT video by our friend Easyjetpilot where he compares Simple Traffic to AIG. He already shown how to install Simple Traffic, buy and click and is now installing AIG.

Please login to display this image.

Avast?  

I will be totally honest and say I did not follow his vid in detail but a screen like scares our support staff to death.  See we simply cater for a whole different group of customers with this product. As we say, install and forget and your sim looks a lot better for 12.50 Euro. See where I am going with this? We like AIG, we always said, but it is a tweakers program and there are not that many of you around.

Easysimpilot, who I highly regard, said he spend 6 hours installing AIG.. Now I do not know how representative that is is, but anything over one minutes and our customers complain.  It is also pretty obvious that with Simple Traffic his framerates are smooth and with the better looking AIG traffic it stutters.

After installing Easyjetpilot explains he spend another few hours on model matching:

And just after his screen show that AIG has the same exact limitations as Simple Traffic has and AI traffic still does some not totally realistic stuff.

Where are you going LH?

The video is perfect, it totally reflects my ideas. AIG is very good freeware, we never said anything else! You just needs 8 hours instead of 5 minutes. 

• Aerosoft
36 minutes ago, BL8 RUNN3R said:

Simple answer is AIG Traffic is better in everything, because they dont use the worst AI System by Asobo. They are doing it the right way! I only hope Aerosoft will use the money I spent in simple traffic for building an Addon like AIG.

Uhhhh they use EXACTLY the same system. I think you do not fully understand the SDK. There simply is no other option at this moment. Again I am surprised by the fanboys of AIG, time and time again we have stated we like that freeware and think it is amazing. If you have time and love to tweak, by all means use that!

AIG does not need your kinds of comments, it is a solid freeware development and can do without your incorrect statements.

• Aerosoft
42 minutes ago, BL8 RUNN3R said:

I would pay even 50€ for a well designed realistic AI product but simple traffic is nothing but using a not working AI system and spray some colours on that mess.

Yes and we are totally open and honest about it.

Now look at the videos and images and say it does not look a lot better!

I got AIG working with VATSIM today...it's great! (really great) But there are lots of missing models, A340, A330, 757 etc. etc.. are missing.

Can I use Aerosoft Simple Traffic to supplement the model list? I'd buy it if that would work...anyone here doing that?

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 minutes ago, oisk said:

Can I use Aerosoft Simple Traffic to supplement the model list? I'd buy it if that would work...anyone here doing that?

From the product page:

Source: https://www.aerosoft.com/en/microsoft-flight-simulator/msfs-tools/3537/aerosoft-tool-simple-traffic?c=1582

Simple Traffic just places the proper liveries on the original MSFS AI models. So this might not the product you are looking for.

• Aerosoft
5 minutes ago, oisk said:

Models? No, we do not add any models. But I know you can include all the models you lack in AIG. Just check the AIG manual, I am sure  it is all explained in there.

@Mathijs Kok

you very subtile hinted on “Avast” in relation to AIG … please remove that “hint” since it is only an Avast ADVERTISEMENT that was shown onscreen in the vid on the youtubers computer.

not sure why you write this things on the aerosoft forum. I think you as a developer should stay away from these kind of posts ( although i know customers will ) 

Please also note the whole AIG thing is a freeware BETA … and it did not take me six hours. The setup took me 10  minutes following the pilotstud video ( who gave your product a bad review ) … and the download of the flightplans and planes took me 2.5 hours ( thats 1200 airlines with  accurate models / paintjobs and real schedules ). 

i am aware your product has a different audience like you say … so no problem … but be fair 

• Aerosoft

Yes, the youtuber was shown advertisements while downloading a small part of a freeware product.  But it is really the difference between AIG and Simple Traffic. We offer one simple file, click and install. You do not have to go to other sites that are paid for by advertisement to install the complete product. I am personally not a fan of downloading from those kind of sites.  If you do not see a problem with that, great!

And if it did not take you so many hours, good for you! I only stated the Youtuber did.  If you did in ten minutes (plus 2,5 hours) what cost him 6 hours plus some more for managing the product I suggest you inform him and not me. Simple Traffic takes 5 minutes to install, no software to install, no packages to download, unpack and move around, no management tool to to open, just use the controls in the sim. 

Again I am not sure why AIG fans attack us.  We are 100% open and honest about our product. We repaint standard AI traffic and match liveries to the location. That's all. €12.50 (plus VAT when applicable), 5 minutes to install, no setting other than inside the sim. That is all we promise. And at the same time we say some customers will prefer AIG and they are right to do so. I have not seen any AIG user or representative reciprocate but that is not something we expect. 

As said, I just repeated what a respectable youtuber wrote. if you disagree, this is not the place. If you feel we are not open and honest about our product, this is the place.

@Mathijs Kok

AIG fanboy … attacking ?? Man stop defending …. I am NO fanboy and NOT attacking you

i completely agree with you and even mentioned that indeed you target a different audience.

I think you are in a subtile way attacking ( by extreamely defending yourself )

You are the one starting this “comparrison” post in the first place right ??

you are “kindly” attacking IAG by saying things like :

“a screen like that would scare our support staff”.That is suggestive …..

“Avast ?” Is suggestive also .

the big mathijs kok calling people “fanboys” ? Come on Mathijs … you should know better

there is no need to go that road.

That is making suggestive remarks on a freeware developer to “upgrade” your own payware product !

so yes that to me is not fair …. So yes this is the place to discuss that as you suggest.

that what i tried to say … i think payware developers should stay away from these kind of posts.

if you believe 101% in your product … these posts an remarks are not needed in the first place.

it can cause more harm then good (marketing wise … )

again …. NOT ATTACKING ✌️

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Models? No, we do not add any models. But I know you can include all the models you lack in AIG. Just check the AIG manual, I am sure  it is all explained in there.

yeah, my mistake. I realise now that there are no models included. Thanks.

Just leaving some feedback on this. I went with Simple Traffic.  For the reason of the title. It's easy. I really didn't want to have to manage a complete addon system for an addon. I am already dealing with addons from Just Flight, Orbx, Aerosoft, Microsoft, Flightsim.to, etc etc... Adding on managing models and planes on AIG.  No.... Not interested. I already have too much work keeping msfs up to date and running well. Not to mention the GB upon GB AIG requires over Simple Traffic. I think maybe i don't care about the models as much since i am a small plane and bush plane addict. I don't care much about the jet models on the runway. I like prop planes.  Sure it would be great if the models were varied more, not cookie cutter, and more accurate... but Asobo needs to fix that.   However, when i am flying out of SF or some cool airport in Europe, it is really immersive to see the correct liveries.  Models? Microsoft (Adobo) will get around to it.  So for me. Bring on as many airline liveries as possible. Please incorporate them all. I suggested a few on the suggestion chain. But please try to cover them all eventually. I am in full support of AIG. I would rather just save the time and hard drive space, so i went with Simple Traffic. Don't hate either. Just choose what works for you. They are different beast that are trying to achieve a common goal. Immersion.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear, comparisons are always hateful and I think that this controversy should not be established. I have had the AIG installed and I had to remove it due to problems with the extension of the file paths of more than 255 characters, it is true that AIG is quite complex, because it handles airplanes owned by the Cias as well as their real routes. Install Simple Trafic precisely because of its simple system, but based on the IA Fs2020 it makes this its weakness, for example the Vueling Company only has one A-330 in its entire fleet and yet when there is traffic at an airport of this Company You can see 4 and 5 A330s and no A320s, the simulator does not know why it chooses Heavy aircraft as traffic in an excessive proportion, being difficult to see A321-A320-A319 etc and that is the part that I do not like. It does not get close to everyday reality, where low-cost companies abound with small planes over heavy ones. I fly in Spain, LPMA, GCXO-GCTS-GCLA-LEIB_LEMD, etc. and except for one or two airports, the traffic of the rest are small planes and from what I see it cannot be corrected. All the best

Archived