Holds and WXR?

Tomcat_22

So I was doing a flight in Brazil somewhere (OnAir missions) using the lovely CRJ550, it all started when I didn't get a TOD (plane set up as usual), figured ok, it can happen of maybe I did in fact forget something, so I decided to use the hold function - I selected where to have the hold on the FMC and wow that went wrong - see image, hehe. I eventually had to use HDG mode to get back on course and then I was able to use NAV again to finish the flight :D
PS. the red is what the AP did, the yellow is what it should have done.

Approaching the airport, there was some heavy rain here and there, however the WXR doesn't appear to work, can anyone confirm that? Oh yeah, and the rain effects, they're not being wiped away by the wipers, I'm assuming that's a limitation? Could someone confirm :)

Thanks

Please login to display this image.

Inability to fly holds is a well-known CRJ issue. The wipers and lack of weather radar are sim issues -- Asobo has to create APIs for third-party developers to access the weather data and they control the weather effects. I believe there was something in one of the developer Q&A sessions on Twitch where they said they'd look at the wiper interactions eventually but it's possible I'm misremembering what was only a request in chat.

14 hours ago, Aplato said:

Inability to fly holds is a well-known CRJ issue. The wipers and lack of weather radar are sim issues -- Asobo has to create APIs for third-party developers to access the weather data and they control the weather effects. I believe there was something in one of the developer Q&A sessions on Twitch where they said they'd look at the wiper interactions eventually but it's possible I'm misremembering what was only a request in chat.

Ah ok, gotcha. Thanks for the replay, manual holds it is for now and as for the windshield water/wiper effects, that's on Asobo then.

Thanks again :)

On 11/5/2021 at 5:42 AM, Tomcat_22 said:

Ah ok, gotcha. Thanks for the replay, manual holds it is for now and as for the windshield water/wiper effects, that's on Asobo then.

Thanks again :)

No the weather radar issue is on Aerosoft, other developer and mod creators have weather radar working, and terrain mapping and radar working. The G1000 and even Carenado aircraft have working weather radar.

• Aerosoft
13 minutes ago, Vinyl Rabbit said:

No the weather radar issue is on Aerosoft, other developer and mod creators have weather radar working, and terrain mapping and radar working. The G1000 and even Carenado aircraft have working weather radar.

Indeed, and those are programmed using XML while we use C++ to be able to add more advanced features. So yes, that is on us, but on the other hand, we believe the complexity of the CRJ is not achievable using XML. So it was a conscious choice we made and has been discussed dozens of times on these forums. You most likely missed that, but a forum search will find you more information.

Now, that said, the WX that is available in the sim right now is not really what we have in mind. It is a display that shows the weather from a gods-eye view while we would very much like to get to what we had in P3D, where we actually calculate how a radar would pick up the precipitation. So you will not be able to see a rain front behind another and would be able to tilt the radar to see where the top is and where the rain has diluted (or evaporated) so much that you can safely fly under a rain cloud.. As in our P3D weather radar, you would even be able to use it as a navigation instrument because it will show coastlines and other feature rather clearly. So what we hope to develop is something to that extend, a realistic system, and in fact that is what we are planning. 

A weather radar is an incredible complex instrument, with many controls (other than zoom), we really like to get all of that working.  We are sure that will all happen in time. This is a fantastic sim and keeps on expanding our options.

The rain effects on the windshield are also an area we are working on, but might need some assistance from Microsoft to get it working.

13 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Indeed, and those are programmed using XML while we use C++ to be able to add more advanced features. So yes, that is on us, but on the other hand, we believe the complexity of the CRJ is not achievable using XML. So it was a conscious choice we made and has been discussed dozens of times on these forums. You most likely missed that, but a forum search will find you more information.

Now, that said, the WX that is available in the sim right now is not really what we have in mind. It is a display that shows the weather from a gods-eye view while we would very much like to get to what we had in P3D, where we actually calculate how a radar would pick up the precipitation. So you will not be able to see a rain front behind another and would be able to tilt the radar to see where the top is and where the rain has diluted (or evaporated) so much that you can safely fly under a rain cloud.. As in our P3D weather radar, you would even be able to use it as a navigation instrument because it will show coastlines and other feature rather clearly. So what we hope to develop is something to that extend, a realistic system, and in fact that is what we are planning. 

A weather radar is an incredible complex instrument, with many controls (other than zoom), we really like to get all of that working.  We are sure that will all happen in time. This is a fantastic sim and keeps on expanding our options.

The rain effects on the windshield are also an area we are working on, but might need some assistance from Microsoft to get it working.

Just a heads up that Fenix seemingly got wiper effects working properly according to their latest previous screenshot so it's at least not impossible. I just noticed for the first time that their weather radar appears function as well, though I'm a bit skeptical on how they pulled that off if the necessary data hasn't yet been exposed by Asobo. They use mostly external systems rather than JavaScript or WASM though so maybe they found something that isn't otherwise available.

unknown.png

On 11/12/2021 at 1:46 PM, Aplato said:

Just a heads up that Fenix seemingly got wiper effects working properly according to their latest previous screenshot so it's at least not impossible. I just noticed for the first time that their weather radar appears function as well, though I'm a bit skeptical on how they pulled that off if the necessary data hasn't yet been exposed by Asobo. They use mostly external systems rather than JavaScript or WASM though so maybe they found something that isn't otherwise available.

It appears that is EGPWS terrain showing on the pilot’s nav display, not weather radar. They may be using their own terrain database, rather than extracting it from the sim.

18 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

It appears that is EGPWS terrain showing on the pilot’s nav display, not weather radar. They may be using their own terrain database, rather than extracting it from the sim.

Ah, good call. I can definitely see how it would be easier to display terrain information from an outside source rather than weather since that can be customized in the sim.

Archived