LVAR and events documentation

Good morning. First, I have to say CRJ is pretty much the only airliner I fly in MSFS at the moment as I find it both challenging and enjoyable - very happy with my purchase and look forward to new planes.

I'm also a recent adopter of SpadNext to help program my peripherals and I find it a constant struggle to identify the correct LVARS and events (sim or custom) to use. I have searched but so far failed to find an existing resource - if that's my bad google-fu would appreciate a link?

I have just seen what I consider to be an excellent example of what I'm looking for from the FBW team to support a32nx management - ##https://docs.flybywiresim.com/pilots-corner/a32nx-briefing/a32nx_api/##

A reference like this for any released plane would be so very helpful.

Many thanks

vor 1 hour , Bill Zarkov sagte:

Good morning. First, I have to say CRJ is pretty much the only airliner I fly in MSFS at the moment as I find it both challenging and enjoyable - very happy with my purchase and look forward to new planes.

I'm also a recent adopter of SpadNext to help program my peripherals and I find it a constant struggle to identify the correct LVARS and events (sim or custom) to use. I have searched but so far failed to find an existing resource - if that's my bad google-fu would appreciate a link?

I have just seen what I consider to be an excellent example of what I'm looking for from the FBW team to support a32nx management - ##https://docs.flybywiresim.com/pilots-corner/a32nx-briefing/a32nx_api/##

A reference like this for any released plane would be so very helpful.

Many thanks

Here you go ...
Maybe not all of them, but most you need ...

Oliver

CRJ-LVARS.txt

Thanks to all who replied - appreciated and I will be working through the info.

I guess my point is that if all plane developers provided the definitions and usage up front as part of the docs then it would save everyone a lot of searching and ensure the info is correctly maintained through patches etc. I suspect it's already there as the devs must have this reference somewhere for their own uses.

Cheers

• Aerosoft
4 hours ago, Bill Zarkov said:

Thanks to all who replied - appreciated and I will be working through the info.

I guess my point is that if all plane developers provided the definitions and usage up front as part of the docs then it would save everyone a lot of searching and ensure the info is correctly maintained through patches etc. I suspect it's already there as the devs must have this reference somewhere for their own uses.

Cheers

Hi Bill,

Indeed, however as those variables are usually used for "internal mechanics", using them outside may sometimes

mess up everything, especially during writing process.
Also since the external users usually don't know the whole internal programming they may sometimes use the variables in a way 

these are not intended to.
For instance writing a higher value (or a wrong data type) than a variable is supposed to contain may cause overflow on other program parts, causing a crash.

So, officially releasing a full set of variables may be quite risky.

However, we are always glad to help and give guidance in case questions arise.

Best regards. 

On 10/28/2021 at 8:30 AM, SimWare said:

Hi Bill,

Indeed, however as those variables are usually used for "internal mechanics", using them outside may sometimes

mess up everything, especially during writing process.
Also since the external users usually don't know the whole internal programming they may sometimes use the variables in a way 

these are not intended to.
For instance writing a higher value (or a wrong data type) than a variable is supposed to contain may cause overflow on other program parts, causing a crash.

So, officially releasing a full set of variables may be quite risky.

However, we are always glad to help and give guidance in case questions arise.

Best regards. 

That is like saying MS should not publish an SDK/API documentation as it is possible to cause issues if you don't know the internal programing....

PMDG publishes the events, the Vars and provides the documentation....  MSFS publishes the docs as well.  With a little bit of work on the MSFS SDK one can also put in an ADD ON that will allow you to scrape and pull all of the LVARs that the CRJ loads in with....

Considering you can not turn on switches properly without the L:VARs  saying that users should only have access on a case by case basis is a bad policy....  Proper documentation should be supplied listing all of the L:Vars and Sim events 

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2021 at 11:09 AM, LesOReilly said:

That is like saying MS should not publish an SDK/API documentation as it is possible to cause issues if you don't know the internal programing....

PMDG publishes the events, the Vars and provides the documentation....  MSFS publishes the docs as well.  With a little bit of work on the MSFS SDK one can also put in an ADD ON that will allow you to scrape and pull all of the LVARs that the CRJ loads in with....

Considering you can not turn on switches properly without the L:VARs  saying that users should only have access on a case by case basis is a bad policy....  Proper documentation should be supplied listing all of the L:Vars and Sim events 

So true, this is 2021

Archived