MSFS Sim Update 6 cockpit lighting issue at night

Mac Flyer

Can't seem to find a solution to this on the MSFS forums or here.. This just started happening after SU6 for MSFS. When right clicking the mouse to pan your view around the cockpit, it causes all cockpit backlighting for switches, panels, etc, to go on and off each time you click the mouse button to pan your view. A default livery is being used with both the 550/700 models in my testing of this issue. Please refer to the video for a visual explanation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Mac

Please login to view this video.

7 minutes ago, Hans Hartmann said:

I change my opinion. That's not the beacon, it's the ramp guy outside the aircraft with his pushback truck. Just found that out while testing. So, no bug.

I don't think his clip is pointing out the light from the pushback truck -- it's the fact that all the overhead integrated lighting, packs lights, etc. turns on and the flashlight shuts off while he right-clicks to pan around the cockpit. I haven't tried doing this with the lights off to see if I can reproduce, but it looks pretty clear in his clip.

• Developer
7 minutes ago, Aplato said:

I don't think his clip is pointing out the light from the pushback truck -- it's the fact that all the overhead integrated lighting, packs lights, etc. turns on while he right-clicks to pan around the cockpit. I haven't tried doing this with the lights off to see if I can reproduce, but it looks pretty clear in his clip.

Yes, but even that is normal, if you start moving around the cockpit with the mouse pointer of a brightness knob. The mouse has two functions in this situation. This can be fixed by changing the mouse settings, but otherwise it's a default setting in FS.

I could reproduce it a couple of times. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. But it has nothing to do with the CRJ itself, that's for sure.

Just shows how good the dynamic lighting is in MSFS...  try that in P3D and my framerates drop by 70 percent 🤣🤣🤣

But I guess sometimes it has unusual/weird effects ?

@Hans Hartmann This is news to me.. I've never had this issue with panel lighting in any other aircraft. Normally in a cold and dark startup at night in any aircraft in MSFS, it defaults to the "flashlight" then once battery power is on and power is supplied to the airplane the "flashlight" function has gone away because now you're able to adjust panel lighting as needed.

Could you point this out in the settings for MSFS as to what function needs to be switched with mouse control?

-Mac

8 minutes ago, Hans Hartmann said:

Yes, but even that is normal, if you start moving around the cockpit with the mouse pointer of a brightness knob. The mouse has two functions in this situation. This can be fixed by changing the mouse settings, but otherwise it's a default setting in FS.

Can you explain that further? That doesn't make any sense to me, but I've never modified my mouse controls. While he's has right click pressed down the integral lighting, ground power lights, fuel pump lights, and packs lights all turn on and the flashlight turns off. When he releases, everything goes back to normal. It's entirely possible that it's a sim issue and not something with the CRJ (maybe similar to control inputs not working while panning?) but it definitely doesn't look like correct behavior to me. For what it's worth, I haven't been able to reproduce this but I'm also not sure which state the aircraft was in during the video.

Also, I noticed on this video that the overhead panel has significantly more wear and tear than I see in my version. Is it possible there's some mod for this that could be interfering? Compare with my screenshot for example.

Please login to display this image.

4 minutes ago, Mac Flyer said:

@Aplato This is the cockpit mod textures available on the forum. This issue was occurring prior to me installing that mod. Aircraft state was in the preset "Cold and Dark" from the EFB.

-Mac

Ah okay, I wasn't sure that it existed never mind that it was an official thing. The reason I asked about the aircraft state was that at first glance it appeared that everything was off, but your battery is switched to on. That doesn't make sense to me because if I have battery on, the fuel pump and packs lights are always on even if I'm not connecting to ground power and don't have APU or engines running.

@Aplato Yep that's what it should normally look like. Then once ground power is connected and turned on, the flashlight should go away. Doing a fresh install of the aircraft now. Will report back soon.

**Update** After fresh install of the aircraft. A vanilla aircraft. No texture mods, no add on livery, just stock delta/endeavor livery. CRJ 700 variant. Problem is still occurring.

-Mac

Please login to view this video.

@Mac Flyer I had this happening as well, where when I clicked and held to pan around the cockpit the orange backlights would increase in brightness, but upon releasing the button they would go out. Additionally, I was unable to use my mouse wheel to adjust the brightness of those backlights with any of the knobs that were supposed to do that (overhead, pedestal, etc.). In my case, I discovered that I had had a switch on my Bravo throttle quadrant assigned to control panel lighting. Since I've removed that switch assignment, it has worked perfectly ever since. I've not gotten the lights switching on/off when clicking & panning my mouse anymore, and I'm able to control the brightness knobs again with my mouse wheel.

So, I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're dealing with, but it's possible there could be an errant switch assignment gumming up the works. What I was dealing with was almost identical to what you illustrated in your video.. Hope that helps!

@YankeeTendy35 That did it. Bravo throttle quadrant was interfering somehow with the lighting. This sim can be so frustrating...

Mathias or Hans if you're seeing this. The Bravo Throttle quadrant is the issue with this panel lighting. If you have a switch assigned to panel lighting (or any lighting for the aircraft in my case, beacon and strobe lights), then this issue will likely occur. Please take note of this and if you could try to find a possible solution in future updates to the CRJ that'd be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

-Mac

• Deputy Sheriffs
6 hours ago, Mac Flyer said:

@YankeeTendy35 That did it. Bravo throttle quadrant was interfering somehow with the lighting. This sim can be so frustrating...

Thanks for sharing what you found, and for recognizing YankeeTendy35 and Puuhbear for their suggestions.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived