CRJ 900/1000 (released)

Mathijs Kok

I'm not sure whether this is the appropriate place to ask this, but can we get some sort of progress update on the release of the CRJ-500/700 on Xbox? Is it likely that we will see it in the marketplace this year? 

Also, can we expect future products like the CRJ-900/1000 and the Twin Otter to release simultaneously on PC and Xbox? 

Thank you in advance! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We are planning an update but it does not come with the 900/1000. If you feel these are game breaking I serious suggest not to buy this update right now.

Not seen that stream myself though.

Can we expect this update(CRJ550-700) to be the one who going to make it compatible for the XBOX?

I'm happy with the pricing -- will definitely purchase as soon as it's available. Understood on bug fixes not being included with the initial release, but I hope that remains a high priority. The CRJ is my favorite airliner to fly so far and fits well with the short routes I typically choose, but there's a bunch of moderate-level bugs that are quite frustrating. I really hope Aerosoft continues to invest development time to see this reach its full potential.

• Upvote 1

Dear @Mathijs Kok and team,

First of all, I’m happy to have had the ability to fly the CRJ for these past few months. This is the only jet airliner I currently fly and I spend the rest of my time in the PMDG DC-6 and JF Turbo Arrow.

I would like to voice some concerns, ideas, feedback, etc. from our Discord community, in no particular order.

Please take this as constructive criticism - we wouldn’t be discussing this subject if we didn’t care.

1. Please use your tools to put out beta versions of the CRJ regularly, e.g. 2-4 times per month. FBW have stable and experimental builds, as do many others. Direct customers only ofc. People who are unhappy with a beta can always revert to the older stable build.

2. If legally possible, updates for direct customers should be published ASAP without waiting for the Marketplace. We bought direct for a reason.

3. The CRJ has many small bugs which potentially could have been addressed in smaller updates. E.g. LNAV and the Direct To problems mean we have to constantly explain what we’re doing and why on VATSIM, giving the controllers more work to do. It would have been nice to have these bugs addressed in smaller incremental and regular updates. No bug is too small to fix.

In the meantime, there are modded freeware aircraft for MSFS which have superior LNAV, such as the CJ4 WT and A32nx, to name two.

4. I’d love to see just one more system modeled - the nose wheel steering. If the switch isn’t flipped, the front steering shouldn't work. This is the only lacking detail of the CRJ which breaks the immersion. The rest is understandable and more than acceptable. You’ve struck a fine balance otherwise!

5. More communication would be very welcome. Anything at all. “We’re working on this and that this week. Next week we’ll be fixing that other thing.” Many developers have little to no communication with a very passionate group of people and while Aerosoft does more than most, the Fenix team is currently showing everyone how it’s done. Everyone is waiting for something, whether it’s better model matching, GSX for MSFS, a speed tape bug fix, a 787, or whatever, and no communication leads to frustration, while feeding us even just tidbits builds hype.

6. I follow the mantra that I don’t purchase a product for promises of future updates. Take the iPhone 13 Pro as an example - it doesn’t currently offer the ability to record video in ProRes but it was promised by Apple during the keynote. I bought it despite this but if I needed/wanted ProRes, I would have waited for the iOS update which enables it.

Having said that, I am ready to purchase the 900/1000 upgrade, as soon as the bug fix update is rolled out, which @Mathijs Kok mentioned we should expect after the 900/1000 upgrade pack (I personally believe they should be reversed but I am not taking your financials into account). I hope the wait isn’t too long after the 900/1000 release but I cannot in good faith spend more money on this aircraft, until those small bugs are fixed.

7. Maintaining a public list of bugs for any given product, the CRJ in this case, would be super helpful. While I understand it would deter some people, I believe that transparency and openness wins in the end.

——

I'm sure I missed a few things from our internal discussions and forgot to include them above. My apologies.

We love flying the CRJ, so we’re keeping our fingers crossed for a successful launch of the 900/1000 variants, and hoping for a speedy bug fix update thereafter which will fix all the little annoyances and allow us to make the upgrade.

Good luck! 🖖🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

vor 3 Stunden , Moridin sagte:

Dear @Mathijs Kok and team,

First of all, I’m happy to have had the ability to fly the CRJ for these past few months. This is the only jet airliner I currently fly and I spend the rest of my time in the PMDG DC-6 and JF Turbo Arrow.

I would like to voice some concerns, ideas, feedback, etc. from our Discord community, in no particular order.

Please take this as constructive criticism - we wouldn’t be discussing this subject if we didn’t care.

1. Please use your tools to put out beta versions of the CRJ regularly, e.g. 2-4 times per month. FBW have stable and experimental builds, as do many others. Direct customers only ofc. People who are unhappy with a beta can always revert to the older stable build.

2. If legally possible, updates for direct customers should be published ASAP without waiting for the Marketplace. We bought direct for a reason.

3. The CRJ has many small bugs which potentially could have been addressed in smaller updates. E.g. LNAV and the Direct To problems mean we have to constantly explain what we’re doing and why on VATSIM, giving the controllers more work to do. It would have been nice to have these bugs addressed in smaller incremental and regular updates. No bug is too small to fix.

In the meantime, there are modded freeware aircraft for MSFS which have superior LNAV, such as the CJ4 WT and A32nx, to name two.

4. I’d love to see just one more system modeled - the nose wheel steering. If the switch isn’t flipped, the front steering shouldn't work. This is the only lacking detail of the CRJ which breaks the immersion. The rest is understandable and more than acceptable. You’ve struck a fine balance otherwise!

5. More communication would be very welcome. Anything at all. “We’re working on this and that this week. Next week we’ll be fixing that other thing.” Many developers have little to no communication with a very passionate group of people and while Aerosoft does more than most, the Fenix team is currently showing everyone how it’s done. Everyone is waiting for something, whether it’s better model matching, GSX for MSFS, a speed tape bug fix, a 787, or whatever, and no communication leads to frustration, while feeding us even just tidbits builds hype.

6. I follow the mantra that I don’t purchase a product for promises of future updates. Take the iPhone 13 Pro as an example - it doesn’t currently offer the ability to record video in ProRes but it was promised by Apple during the keynote. I bought it despite this but if I needed/wanted ProRes, I would have waited for the iOS update which enables it.

Having said that, I am ready to purchase the 900/1000 upgrade, as soon as the bug fix update is rolled out, which @Mathijs Kok mentioned we should expect after the 900/1000 upgrade pack (I personally believe they should be reversed but I am not taking your financials into account). I hope the wait isn’t too long after the 900/1000 release but I cannot in good faith spend more money on this aircraft, until those small bugs are fixed.

7. Maintaining a public list of bugs for any given product, the CRJ in this case, would be super helpful. While I understand it would deter some people, I believe that transparency and openness wins in the end.

——

I'm sure I missed a few things from our internal discussions and forgot to include them above. My apologies.

We love flying the CRJ, so we’re keeping our fingers crossed for a successful launch of the 900/1000 variants, and hoping for a speedy bug fix update thereafter which will fix all the little annoyances and allow us to make the upgrade.

Good luck! 🖖🏻

I would also like to say something about this.

1. I can understand why they withhold their information. There are just too many people who put every word on the gold scale and complain when Aerosoft can not keep an update due to a bug.  Hate and discussions are pre-programmed. So a company does not make a statement or deadline that they can not keep 100%.

2. why should people who buy on the marketplace be disadvantaged? that would they with your statement then. People like me buy a lot of products in the marketplace so I have everything in one place.  

3. problem what I see, that the MSFS 2020 always evolves and the providers FENIX, Aerosoft, PMDG and Co, it already not easy to adapt everything. 
They take away employees from project A and put them to B, at B now important employees are missing why project A now comes to a halt.  

I love the CRJ and wait like a little child for the 900/1000, but have to practice patience. 

Play Star Citizen :D There you need it ^^

And please don't take it as an attack. But as entertainment.
And sorry my English is mähh 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

3 hours ago, Игорь Крутских said:

I hope he will have a weather radar, because flying an airplane for 50 euros without a radar means feeling defective.

This is on Asobo, so I can live with it until they update their SDK.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BaxterChico said:

2. why should people who buy on the marketplace be disadvantaged? that would they with your statement then. People like me buy a lot of products in the marketplace so I have everything in one place.

Buying on the marketplace means:

1. Developers get less money. They have to give their share to the store.

2. Everyone has to wait weeks or months for the update to make it into the Marketplace. Since the direct purchase users are more valuable to the developer, they should get something out of this for choosing to purchase directly, making an account, adding their personal and payment information, etc.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Moridin said:

1. Developers get less money. They have to give their share to the store.

Not true as I found out...see Mathijs response to me on the Twotter thread, 

"If we sell a product via the Marketplace we do not 'lose' any money. For these sales Microsoft handles the distribution, updates, all sales actions, sales support and part of marketing and public relation. If we would sell the same product on our own shop we would have to pay for all of that. Now exactly how much that is depends a lot on the product and the scalability. But if you pay via CC or PP we have to pay to have that done. If we send the file to you, we pay for the bandwidth, if we add the product to our shop somebody has to do that and that costs money.

The 30% most stores now ask (often lower if you sell a lot) is enough to pay for all of that. And if you do a good job you make some profit.  Remember we are not only a producer but also a reseller so we do exactly what Steam or the Marketplace does. We take part of the sales price to handle the sale, sales support and distribution. At 5% or 10% we would make a solid loss on every single sale and I am damned sure the Marketplace would as well. Remember it took Steam over a decade to break even at 30%.  And to make real money you need to sell way (way....) over a 1000 copies. If we would aim for that for the Twin Otter I might as well stop now as we would lose hundreds of thousands of Euro's.

The Marketplace offers an ease of use that is highly attractive for many users. No matter how you think about it, it is a huge factor in the current market. I am not hesitant to say we could not do without at this moment. I would not know how to reach those customers. Exactly how it is for Steam."

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, EasternT3 said:

Not true as I found out...see Mathijs response to me on the Twotter thread, 

Good to know, thanks for quoting Mathijs. I had assumed the reality would be more simular to the App Store landscape, where it's much cheaper for a developer to sell their own product than to pay 30% in fees (the new 15% fees for smaller devs obviously changed things). Nevertheless, my no. 2 point still stands, unless Aerosoft has priority. Many developers are waiting weeks for their products to get placed in the Marketplace.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moridin said:

Good to know, thanks for quoting Mathijs. I had assumed the reality would be more simular to the App Store landscape, where it's much cheaper for a developer to sell their own product than to pay 30% in fees (the new 15% fees for smaller devs obviously changed things). Nevertheless, my no. 2 point still stands, unless Aerosoft has priority. Many developers are waiting weeks for their products to get placed in the Marketplace.

My understanding is and I might be wrong that there is an agreement in place to jointly release the CRJ, but that's not necessary standard practice for them. Bottom line is, we really don't know what the agreement was and what it entailed, without knowing the details, it maybe that whatever it included might have meant a faster release of the product in the first place.... its worth keeping in mind the CRJ was the first paid add on airliner and even then a delay a couple of months before anything remotely comparable. That's not to say I disagree with you with regards Marketplace or indeed updating products, but without the background we can't really make an informed opinion on it... other than to... want it ASAP!!!   

• Like 1

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, bluemoon51 said:

My understanding is and I might be wrong that there is an agreement in place to jointly release the CRJ, but that's not necessary standard practice for them. 

Correct. For the CRJ we are in the luxury position not having to wait, for our other releases we simply go into the waiting room. If I am to believe what other developers has stated last week that is now between 10 and 16 weeks. 

• Root Admin
30 minutes ago, leha74ru said:

cj4 the radar is working, maybe the reason is not in the sdk?

That is a Javascript development using the default systems. To get the realism in systems we want, we have to work with C++ (so WASM) and there are a few limitations there. However we are 100% sure those will be solved. 

To give you some idea on what we hope to get... In P3D we developed our own weather radar that worked with the data that was actually inside the sim (so visible) and not on what the weather data said. There was major difference in those two things. And we also spend months on getting terrain reflections correct (do you know pilots navigate with the weather radar? With ours you can!) and how one storm will hide anything that is behind it.  It is perhaps one of the most complex parts of the sim. Ideally we want to get back to this realism. 

• Like 8