Where can I get a manual that provides instructions to program the yoke and Throttle quadrant.

Guten tag!... grüß Gott! (whichever is best for you) Aerosoft team,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your work on the Honeycomb Configurator and the time you took to create these videos.  Very informative!

Nevertheless, my cartesian brain would like to understand the mechanics behind the relationship between the hardware (Alpha and Bravo), the configurator and X-Plane 11.  I have received the controls in the last two weeks and other than how to create and delete profiles, I don't seem to be getting anywhere fast!

I have reviewed the videos and the instructions Heinz put on the forum but my Cartesian mind needs to understand the structures and relationships between the hardware, configurator and x-plane to make sense of all this.

In order to get better acquainted with the hardware and configurator, I decided to use the Configurator to build a complete profile for the Xplane C172SP (should not be much of a challenge but I failed miserably.  Why?  I think that there are relationships between X-Plane 11 and the configurator that I don't understand.  I am quite familiar with Datarefs and Commands so that is not the issue.  Also, I deleted all of my x-plane profiles that I had built for my fleet as I used to fly using Saitek products so, there is no interference expected from that side of the equation either.

When I start building the profile, I understand the difference between a condition and variable as well as the use of the "And / Or" Condition Link.  However, when I start inputting simple commands like Avionics_on and Avionics_off, although I click on "Apply Changes" and get the message that my changes have been saved.  So far, everything looks fine.  

I update the profile in Xplane via the Plug-In but it tells me that 0 bindings have been updated and I confirm it failed by testing the button.   if I go back to the variable to confirm it is saved, the variable has disappeared.  I don't understand what is happening and why it will not save my inputs.  There is no problem in programming the correct function in x-plane 11 and it will work however when I get to complex programming (one switch for two inputs for example) nothing works.

I thought that maybe because I had inputted a variable in X-Plane profile that it may be interfering so I changed them to "Do Nothing" and tested it again.  Well... nothing happened and yet again, the variable that I thought I saved (based on the configurator's message) was no longer there.

I would like to understand the relationship between the Xplane profile facility, the configurator and the hardware.
I would like to understand if I need to set anything up in the Xplane profile so that Xplane knows to take the input from the Honeycomb profile.
I would also like to understand the correct procedure for entering variables and make sure they don't disappear after you press on "Apply Changes"

The configurator provides for a command build structure (EVENT - CONDITION - VARIABLE, ...). 
 Is there a document that describes what the configurator expects to receive in each field, the order in which it needs to be inputted and when to press the "Apply Changes" button so that the work is saved in the profile.  

One of your colleagues has created a message in the forum with regards to how to program the FCU_SELECTOR and Rotary Dial which is great however it is a how to and not a why which is what I am missing.  A manual that defines this would be great.

Is there a manual in the works that limited people like me can refer to in order to build profiles that work.  If yes, when can we expect it and can instructions be published in the meantime to assist us in programming the hardware.

Another problem I have is with the conventions. It took me a while to understand the INT:FCU_SELECTOR, string watching various Youtube videos, again, this was because it explains that this is what you do but not why.
Is there a list of INTERNAL variables that could be published in order to assist us in programming the hardware.

Videos show me how to populate the Configurator, others suggest that I use the Configurator for Complex programming and use the X-Plane configurator for simple functions, finally, I found a video from Mr. Jaranet that shows me how to build profiles in each aircraft model file. I tried what the video said however I have failed to see this work and have tried the instructions multiple times (they say that if something does not work, repeating it will not fix it and it is true!) to no avail. 

Are there written instructions, with an emphasis on Xplane that provides a step by step instruction on how to achieve this.  Is there something that I need to do in Xplane so that an x-plane profile does not interfere with the saved profile in the airplane file.
Once you get the "BFC_Profile_Config  and AFC_Profile_Config" set in the "honeycomb_profiles" folder you saved in the airplane file, how do you proceed to modify that profile, do you delete the profile in the airplane file and update the airplane profile in the configurator and then save it again as "xxx_Profile_config"?  What if the total profile is composed on an xplane profile and a configurator profile?

Lastly, I imported profiles for the PC-12 and Kodiak Quest.  I activated them however I don't know if I have to do something special in Xplane.
Do I create a profile with the same name or just leave it on the default profile for example) for them to work?  One needs to know...

I guess that in conclusion that I am asking for a manual to support my hardware programming using the Configurator.  Is there one in the works and can parts of it be published now and as new instructions are added to help those who have bought the hardware but need support to make it work properly.

Vielen Dank im Voraus,

Rackster

PS:  Your English is much better than my German!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft

Hi Andre,

we know that the learning curve here can be quite steep...which is basically the price to make this work for multiple simulator platforms and still get the required flexibility to also allow for refined interactions with complex AddOn aircraft. What we primarily intended with the software was to allow aircraft AddOn developers themselves to directly provide working profiles. As they obviously know their planes best, this would be the easiest solution. If they actually do though...is of course out of our hands. 

There is also not a complete manual available, but apart from the videos here you also have our tutorial section here and the pinned topics on top of this forum section, where you can find some information concerning programming the Bravo. Topics there will be expanded in the future, according to demand.

Is there something that I need to do in Xplane so that an x-plane profile does not interfere with the saved profile in the airplane file. [...] What if the total profile is composed on an xplane profile and a configurator profile?

What you need to understand is that the HC Configurator control system is completely independent from the X-Plane one. So, you will never see something from the HC Configurator within X-Planes control interface and vice versa. But that also means you have to make sure that you are not creating clashing controls with the two control systems by assigning the same button twice. As this might lead to unexpected behaviour.

Lastly, I imported profiles for the PC-12 and Kodiak Quest.  I activated them however I don't know if I have to do something special in Xplane.

If the simulator is currently running you also need to "Reload Bindings" from the Honeycomb in-sim menu entry. If the pop-up message gives you the correct profile name...you have loaded up the right profile and should be good to go.

I would also like to understand the correct procedure for entering variables and make sure they don't disappear after you press on "Apply Changes"

Judging from the other thread, you have noticed by now, that this is simply a bug that concerns the entry of CommandRefs. Entering a value, saving and then clearing the value again is a workaround that should work until that is fixed in the next version.

Is there a list of INTERNAL variables that could be published in order to assist us in programming the hardware.

No, as internal variables can be defined by the profile creator themselves according to their needs. If you check out the OBS_Test profile I dished up for you in the other thread, you can see that I introduced "INT:OBS_SELECTOR, bool", which is an internal variable.

Videos show me how to populate the Configurator, others suggest that I use the Configurator for Complex programming and use the X-Plane configurator for simple functions...

What I am advising you to do, especially if the felt complexity is still too high, is to do as much as you can within X-Planes control system intself and only fallback to the HC Configurator for functionality that is not doable otherwise. Like for the autopilot rotaries and LEDs... .

I hope that helps you some.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you @BenBaron for your feedback.

I am slowly starting to figure things out as I go along so all is not lost! 

As a bonus for my frustrations, can you explain the logic behind the INT: datarefs?  Right now I am led to understand that I can create them but when do I know that I need one?  When you have a chance I would really appreciate.

Regs,

Andre

• Aerosoft

Hi André,

sure: INT-variables are not datarefs but variables, as they are not specific to X-Plane, but also work in FSX/P3D/soon MSFS. Instead, INT here stands for "internal", so, they are not visible to any simulator, but are only used by the module(s) monitoring the HC Alpha & Bravo output and translating that into simulator commands. When you need one...is really up to you and highly depends on what exactly you want to achieve with a profile. I only "invented" them, as otherwise the combined AP INCR/DECR functionality of the Bravo would not have been possible at all within the default control framework of any of the afore-mentioned simulators.

I hope that clears it up a little bit more towards all is not lost :).

Archived