Simple Traffic preview (Released)

Mathijs Kok

Not going to apply for beta testing because there are already plenty of people and my first entry into the forums was less than stellar (involved a lot of crabbing over simvars and hardware), but this looks like a great add-on and I'm looking forward to picking it up.

A few questions I don't think I've seen asked/answered:

If there's no GA aircraft, what will happen at smaller/regional airports?  Will they have no traffic or will you end up with large airliners?  I'm guessing based on above comments that Simple Traffic wouldn't affect it at all since the sim (hopefully) thinks there should be no large aircraft there.

Will it make use of any add-on aircraft present such as the CRJ?

This may be a more MSFS-centric question, but will the traffic be visible to external tools/add-ons like Pilot2ATC?

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, Joe Markowski said:

If there's no GA aircraft, what will happen at smaller/regional airports?  Will they have no traffic or will you end up with large airliners?  I'm guessing based on above comments that Simple Traffic wouldn't affect it at all since the sim (hopefully) thinks there should be no large aircraft there.

Simple Traffic uses the standard AI Traffic of the sim, so nothing will change there. Simple Traffic applies liveries to the native MSFS twin-jet, quad-jet, and regional-jet default AI models, which are optimized to minimize the impact on FPS.

Will it make use of any add-on aircraft present such as the CRJ?

I have to check on that.

This may be a more MSFS-centric question, but will the traffic be visible to external tools/add-ons like Pilot2ATC?

Again, as this is basically the default AI traffic, if it works with the default AI Traffic it will work with Simple Traffic. 

• Upvote 2

• Root Admin

Had to do a check on the last beta and made some images. Why not share them?

Bonaire (the CRJ is part of our CRJ product)

image.png

O'hare

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Charles de Gaulle

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Heathrow

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

If there are 600 applications for testing  then 600 votes should be easy: I made a suggestion for Asobo to have a fallback plane in case the livery is not found, instead of showing a random livery; like showing easyJet in South Korea because Jeju Air is not there...

Please vote! https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/on-line-ai-model-matching-for-not-recognised-lcao-codes/466509

• Thanks 1

Great images, Mr. Kok..I really look forward to can populate airports as you are showing us!

Just a question: what is your set of traffic density in the pictures you showed? Just to understand how fps can be impacted by the percentage of traffic and density of airplanes at the airport. 

Did you also succeed to have AI takeoffs? After SU6 I don't see anymore takeoffs but only landings

Thanks in advance

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, fra147 said:

Great images, Mr. Kok..I really look forward to can populate airports as you are showing us!

Just a question: what is your set of traffic density in the pictures you showed? Just to understand how fps can be impacted by the percentage of traffic and density of airplanes at the airport. 

Did you also succeed to have AI takeoffs? After SU6 I don't see anymore takeoffs but only landings

Thanks in advance

I got the traffic at 35% (and static at 0).

And indeed it seems AI aircraft behave a bit strange at this moment, but Simple Traffic does not have any influence on this. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I have updated the information posts about Simple Traffic in the support forum. If you want to know more about the technical background I seriously suggest you check it out: https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/1112-simple-traffic/

Thank you for post this.

• Simple Traffic applies liveries to the default MSFS AI models. It does not make changes to the models themselves, and therefore inherits all the properties of those models and any changes made in Sim Updates.

This explains some of my questions; I was originally under the impression that Simple Traffic took over spawning/controlling the AI traffic.

I'm curious about one thing...

No matter what I do I can't eliminate the annoying little pause that occurs when  you get close to an airport and the AI aircraft on the ground are loaded into the scenery - I'm pretty sure the pause is worse if you have static ground air traffic enabled in the settings. Do the amended models change this pause at all, i.e. make it longer or shorter?

• Root Admin
11 minutes ago, spencerp said:

I'm curious about one thing...

No matter what I do I can't eliminate the annoying little pause that occurs when  you get close to an airport and the AI aircraft on the ground are loaded into the scenery - I'm pretty sure the pause is worse if you have static ground air traffic enabled in the settings. Do the amended models change this pause at all, i.e. make it longer or shorter?

No. it is really exactly the same mechanism, just with more data and liveries. 

• Like 1

• Root Admin
5 hours ago, Commander_K said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find anything.

So in Offline Mode, planes are actually departing and arriving?

If they do on your system right now, yes.  Again, Simple Traffic has zero influence on the behavior, just the looks.  So simply start up your sim and check.

Greetings Mathijs,

Two questions, how many different aircraft models will Simple Traffic have? and will it have a strong impact on the performance of the MSFS, or would we not have drops in the FPS?

Thank you,

1 hour ago, Morderx said:

Greetings Mathijs,

Two questions, how many different aircraft models will Simple Traffic have? and will it have a strong impact on the performance of the MSFS, or would we not have drops in the FPS?

Thank you,

My understanding is that it just replaces the liveries not the models and that there will be no impact to performance 

• Upvote 1

• Root Admin
10 hours ago, Morderx said:

Just as much as the sim has because we just use the standard AI Traffic, do check the information in https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/1112-simple-traffic/

As we use the low poly models the FPS should actually be a bit better.

• Root Admin
21 hours ago, AirbusPaul said:

Please please please dont forget New Zealand and Australia.  We always get forgot about down here and to have this work would be amazing.  So excite.  And where is the airtbus for MSFS?

If an area is not fully covered on release with airlines and airports we will try to include them later. This is a project that will remain in production after release for sure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

If an area is not fully covered on release with airlines and airports we will try to include them later. This is a project that will remain in production after release for sure.

And this is thee problem.  We are always later.....doh

• Root Admin

Paul, please do not take offense, I seriously do not aim to cause offense.

But the simple fact is that Australia and New Zealand together have way less than half the population of Germany., half the population of the UK or France. Small countries like The Netherlands have way more airline traffic than Australia has. All markets that are linked together (our customers fly between these countries) and are where we are traditionally strong.  Now it is a matter of chicken and egg for sure, but Australia and New Zealand only cover about 3% of our customers.

We are a commercial company, while our project managers have some liberty to do projects that are clearly not commercially important, the simple fact is that a small German airport will sell better than a Australian medium sized airport. We do not make the market, we go where the market is. 

• Upvote 1

This looks amazing, there’s so much effort put into realistic aircraft and airports and scenery

. . . .and then we get these generic made up airlines from adobo filling the sim . .  it seems crazy.

Some realistic airline liveries will make a huge improvement. 

I can’t wait to get this,( for the Xbox hopefully too)

• Like 1

• Mathijs Kok changed the title to Simple Traffic preview (Released)
  • Mathijs Kok locked and pinned this topic