Jump to content

Simple Traffic preview (Released)


Mathijs Kok
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Mathijs. Thank you very much for your previews. Definitely an exciting time for the whole flight-sim community. Just to double make sure I remember SU5 scrapping this project, I am guessing you are having better luck with SU6 and this project is now back on-board? 

 

Thank you much for your community involvement! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
1 hour ago, Akash 2713 said:

Hi Mathijs. Thank you very much for your previews. Definitely an exciting time for the whole flight-sim community. Just to double make sure I remember SU5 scrapping this project, I am guessing you are having better luck with SU6 and this project is now back on-board? 

 

Thank you much for your community involvement! 

 

Let's not dwell on SU5. We simply got to say that SU6 is a very very good update that solves a lot of problems. Simple Traffic is very much back on track.  As will be clear in my next post.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

 

It uses the AI models from the sim but adds the liveries and adds schedules.

Ok ok, so we will have airbus A320 with Ryanair livery and not B737 I got it right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, six75 said:

Ok ok, so we will have airbus A320 with Ryanair livery and not B737 I got it right?

no it will use the generic ai model thats the one that looks like a frankenstein a330 with the pointed nose and will have a ryanair livery on it, there are a few ai traffic free mods out there what will give you ryanair 737 but alot of them will make you ctd, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never signed up on the forums because I'm not much of a chatter but would love to help test this.

I'm a retired pilot and love MSFS but really miss real traffic liveries so would love to help test and point out bugs if there are any.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IM delighted with this. I was devastated when this was cancelled as i find it slightly demeaning flying around with the minimal crude models and terrible textures on the existing traffic.

 

Traffic has always been a big thing for me on P3d. I uninstalled V4 but never got around to installing V5 as the CRJ came out for FS and i loved it so its great now to finally have traffic! :D

 

My money is waiting!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JasonmCork said:

IM delighted with this. I was devastated when this was cancelled as i find it slightly demeaning flying around with the minimal crude models and terrible textures on the existing traffic.

 

Traffic has always been a big thing for me on P3d. I uninstalled V4 but never got around to installing V5 as the CRJ came out for FS and i loved it so its great now to finally have traffic! :D

 

My money is waiting!

Yes very much agree, its kind of sad right now some lovely airports out there, but they look pretty weak right now because of the limited immersion with the traffic

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
1 hour ago, TeaPot said:

This is absolutely brilliant news to have this back on track. Well done aerosoft


Amen.... As you might know I am mainly responsible for the aircraft developments (and support) at Aerosoft, but I a sucker for simple products that just make the sim better.  

 

I know there are many simmers that go for the ultimate realism and are willing to spend many hours tweaking their add-ons. And with P3D that was basically the complete customer base we had. But with MSFS we have a totally new audience.  From potentially a few tens of thousands we went to a few millions.  And the vast majority of these users wants to click and get results. Of course we'll still do complex aircraft like the CRJ and Twin Otter, but personally I like these add-ons to function in the sim that looks as good as possible.  That means good looking airports for example, these do not all new functionality (normally) but are just better and more realistic visuals.  Simple Traffic is very much the same kind of product. You install it and forget about it. 

 

Now with an airport we have learned by now how to do it pretty solidly. With AI traffic this is simply not possible at this moment (or not without changing base parts of the sim, something I am always extremely reluctant to do). So Jeff (the developer) spend a lot of time experimenting to understand how the system inside the sim works. And he found a way to insert the correct liveries in most cases. Most cases, not all cases. See this image:

 

image.png

 

Clearly a UPS twin jet should not dock at a passenger gate. Most likely this was an airline that was not (yet) in the list of liveries we provide and MSFS select one at random. There is no way this way Simple Traffic will get things like this always right.  That is why it is called Simple Traffic and not "Moderately Complex Traffic" or "Ultimate Traffic"But in my mind a UPS aircraft there is still better than one of the fictitious liveries if the default sim, right? Internally we had major fun with this image. Some suggested RyanAir hired UPS to ship passengers as packages, my personal believe is that every passenger will have to carry a box on his/her lap.

 

Deciding on the name was not really hard, setting the price was. You see, this would sell at 12.50 Euro (plus VAT when applicable) and at 29.95 Euro (plus.....).  In my spreadsheets the money Jeff and Aerosoft would make are about the same. Low price means more sales, but less money per sales, a higher percentage of cost per sale (credit card, distribution etc), more cost for support. A higher price means more profit per sale, a lower percentage of cost per sale etc., but also less sales. I do not know how you buy software but if the cost is less than what I pay per day on lunch I am willing to buy it without much consideration.  I fully understand 12.50 Euro (plus....) is real money for many people, but for the majority of our customers it is not a big sum. And it brings the product into the reach of so much more customers in low income countries.  Keep in mind a $100 add-on is a solid week work in many countries. 

 

So just as with the Twin Otter we decided to set the price as low as we dared. We will need to sell a **** load to break even and a few **** loads to make serious money.  But the customers are there. And if you sell the product honestly, explaining what it is and what it is not, I think we'll do fine. I think a lot of simmers will have a better looking sim and Jeff and Aerosoft will make good money. 

 

In the end, every add-on I manage has to pass one test. Would I buy it and would I be happy? And as somebody who has basically free access to everything released, I can say, yeah. I would buy this and I would be happy.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

PS

ohhh btw, I got over 500 people asking to get access to the beta.  The biggest number I ever seen. As said, I will pick 20 (most based on their forum status, getting upvotes REALLY helps) and I will contact those.  We really thanks all others for the effort but a beta test with 500 people is a guarantee of a delayed release. If you are picked you will get a mail next week, if not, you will get nothing.

  • Like 12
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Defending "Simple Traffic" UPS did operate a passenger service at one point in time though! Didn't last very long, mainly using their inactive fleet over the weekends(727s) to vacation spots around the Gulf of Mexico 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:


Amen.... As you might know I am mainly responsible for the aircraft developments (and support) at Aerosoft, but I a sucker for simple products that just make the sim better.  

 

I know there are many simmers that go for the ultimate realism and are willing to spend many hours tweaking their add-ons. And with P3D that was basically the complete customer base we had. But with MSFS we have a totally new audience.  From potentially a few tens of thousands we went to a few millions.  And the vast majority of these users wants to click and get results. Of course we'll still do complex aircraft like the CRJ and Twin Otter, but personally I like these add-ons to function in the sim that looks as good as possible.  That means good looking airports for example, these do not all new functionality (normally) but are just better and more realistic visuals.  Simple Traffic is very much the same kind of product. You install it and forget about it. 

 

Now with an airport we have learned by now how to do it pretty solidly. With AI traffic this is simply not possible at this moment (or not without changing base parts of the sim, something I am always extremely reluctant to do). So Jeff (the developer) spend a lot of time experimenting to understand how the system inside the sim works. And he found a way to insert the correct liveries in most cases. Most cases, not all cases. See this image:

 

image.png

 

Clearly a UPS twin jet should not dock at a passenger gate. Most likely this was an airline that was not (yet) in the list of liveries we provide and MSFS select one at random. There is no way this way Simple Traffic will get things like this always right.  That is why it is called Simple Traffic and not "Moderately Complex Traffic" or "Ultimate Traffic"But in my mind a UPS aircraft there is still better than one of the fictitious liveries if the default sim, right? Internally we had major fun with this image. Some suggested RyanAir hired UPS to ship passengers as packages, my personal believe is that every passenger will have to carry a box on his/her lap.

 

Deciding on the name was not really hard, setting the price was. You see, this would sell at 12.50 Euro (plus VAT when applicable) and at 29.95 Euro (plus.....).  In my spreadsheets the money Jeff and Aerosoft would make are about the same. Low price means more sales, but less money per sales, a higher percentage of cost per sale (credit card, distribution etc), more cost for support. A higher price means more profit per sale, a lower percentage of cost per sale etc., but also less sales. I do not know how you buy software but if the cost is less than what I pay per day on lunch I am willing to buy it without much consideration.  I fully understand 12.50 Euro (plus....) is real money for many people, but for the majority of our customers it is not a big sum. And it brings the product into the reach of so much more customers in low income countries.  Keep in mind a $100 add-on is a solid week work in many countries. 

 

So just as with the Twin Otter we decided to set the price as low as we dared. We will need to sell a **** load to break even and a few **** loads to make serious money.  But the customers are there. And if you sell the product honestly, explaining what it is and what it is not, I think we'll do fine. I think a lot of simmers will have a better looking sim and Jeff and Aerosoft will make good money. 

 

In the end, every add-on I manage has to pass one test. Would I buy it and would I be happy? And as somebody who has basically free access to everything released, I can say, yeah. I would buy this and I would be happy.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

PS

ohhh btw, I got over 500 people asking to get access to the beta.  The biggest number I ever seen. As said, I will pick 20 (most based on their forum status, getting upvotes REALLY helps) and I will contact those.  We really thanks all others for the effort but a beta test with 500 people is a guarantee of a delayed release. If you are picked you will get a mail next week, if not, you will get nothing.

And, as far as I read, liveries will be added even after release! There is already a suggestion topic where you can ask for liveries! So these 'mismatchings' will occure even less ;)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ich gucke jeden Tag, ob Simple Traffic schon im Verkauf ist. Das wird den Sim SOOO viel attraktiver machen. Wird ein MUSTHAVE für mich! Ich freu mich schon jetzt wie ein Schneekönig!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
On 10/24/2021 at 12:07 AM, Fungaming said:

Hey Mathijs, will Simple Traffic also make it to Xbox ?? I play on both PC and Xbox so would love to have it on both same goes for the Twin Otter.

 

I see no reason why not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
On 10/24/2021 at 8:24 AM, Er!k said:

And, as far as I read, liveries will be added even after release! 

 

Very much so. This is a project we know has to continuously extended. For example the Alitalia livery will needs to be replaced by the new ITA Airways livery.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only reason I signed up for an Aerosoft forums account is so I could tell you “thank you” for continuing this project. I will be first in line to purchase it. Nothing is more frustrating than to fly over KSDF and see a bunch of “cartoon” liveries when the place should be crawling with UPS “browntails”. As a multi-decade employee of the “Big Brown” airline, and initial beta tester for MSFS 2020, I had contacted Asobo and offered to pursue getting the UPS livery into MSFS 2020 as an in-product livery. They basically told me to not bother. So, once again, thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
3 hours ago, part121 said:

The only reason I signed up for an Aerosoft forums account is so I could tell you “thank you” for continuing this project. I will be first in line to purchase it. Nothing is more frustrating than to fly over KSDF and see a bunch of “cartoon” liveries when the place should be crawling with UPS “browntails”. As a multi-decade employee of the “Big Brown” airline, and initial beta tester for MSFS 2020, I had contacted Asobo and offered to pursue getting the UPS livery into MSFS 2020 as an in-product livery. They basically told me to not bother. So, once again, thank you!

 

Yes, but I am adding a word of caution here. Though we include UPS and KSDF, we still work within the sim so what airlines you see depends a lot on what the sim believes is correct. I just flew over the airport and saw this:

 

image.png

 

Will ask about UPS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

 

Yes, but I am adding a word of caution here. Though we include UPS and KSDF, we still work within the sim so what airlines you see depends a lot on what the sim believes is correct. I just flew over the airport and saw this:

 

image.png

 

Will ask about UPS.

that's a lot haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

 

Yes, but I am adding a word of caution here. Though we include UPS and KSDF, we still work within the sim so what airlines you see depends a lot on what the sim believes is correct. I just flew over the airport and saw this:

 

image.png

 

Will ask about UPS.

Southwest showing up for Peak season help 🙂 That’s interesting because the radio traffic I’ve experienced within the sim mentions UPS flights quite often. Also surprised there’s not a single 747 in the picture. I have no idea what the sim does with 757s, 767s and MD11s. Thanks for checking!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mathijs Kok changed the title to Simple Traffic preview (Released)
  • Mathijs Kok locked and pinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...