NAV Display messed up?

Jannis D.

• Aerosoft

These things are not uncommon in the real aircraft and in our simulation.  If you send us the complete flightplan we can check to see if we can tweak our routines.

Now do not read this the wrong way, if is an issue and when we can, we'll sort it out, just as the devs of the 'real' thing do. As they are by laws of mathematics forced to use the same principles there will always be issues like this in the real aircraft and in our simulated version.

One of our advisory pilots said this:

"Well that is why we get paid to do our job. When we see something like this we just ignore it, take out the chart and fly the approach manually. We can, really.  It even makes us feel kind of cool. We might just mention it later, but often we just mark it up and know we'll have to do our 'magic' again tomorrow. I am often surprised sim pilots actually think aircraft and navdatabases are near perfect. They are not. That's why there are two trained guys on the front seats."

Hi,

I would be very happy to have real CRJ pilots here confirm that this behavior in not uncommon on the real CRJ.

I really doubt that for such an aircraft the Nav system can be such unreliable. 

Just go to Gatwick and try a reversed departure, the first turn is messed up just like in the OP screenshots. And it is just a one turn procedure, at a very busy airport in Europe.

Pierre

• Aerosoft

I am sorry you do not believe me and do not believe a real pilot wrote that.  Not sure how we can convince you though. I think it would mean a pilot would reply and post his licence to make sure you would be confirmed. As that will not happen you will never be convinced things like this happen. 

Catch 22.  As we can never win this argument I will not comment on this again. 

Hello,

it is not that I do not believe you. It is just that it happens way to often in the virtual CRJ that I find hard to believe it occurs as often as that in the real one.

But of course I may be mistaken. That’s why I thought it would be great to have others pilots inputs.

Best regards,

Pierre

Have not seen any such issues in the real CRJ in a couple of thousand of hours. As for just taking out the plate and flying it, a lot of departures nowadays are RNAV 1 required and if I see that mess on my MFD I would not trust that the aircraft is in a suitable condition to give me accurate navigation data :P.

Well, I asked a friend flying the CRJ1000 about that.

He told me either the turn is coded in FMS and drawn correctly, either it is only straight segmented route and then if the angle is too tight the aircraft may not be able to anticipate the turn therefore it reverses the turn. It happened to him very few time. He told me switching the problematic waypoint to overfly may help but he would prefer flying the turn in Heading mode if not sure what the aircraft will do.

My guess is that the virtual CRJ is over sensitive regarding this phenomenon, and maybe something should be done to get a more robust LNAV system.

Pierre

Archived