No orcas around Rothera?

FlyerX

Lovely scenery! Just one question. I've been flying around Rothera at various different times of the day and months but have never seen a single Orca anywhere! All the other animations work fine. Are they just very infrequent or am I missing something?

11 hours ago, FlyerX said:

Lovely scenery! Just one question. I've been flying around Rothera at various different times of the day and months but have never seen a single Orca anywhere! All the other animations work fine. Are they just very infrequent or am I missing something?

Here you go. :)

Around Rothera there's a pod 4 Orcas following this path - starting at the green dot after loading the flight. Most of the time they are diving and ascending at regular intervals.

Please login to display this image.

Thanks. However, I've now flown that line and still can't see any of them. Could something be inhibiting that animation on my system? I have disabled all my other addons and I have also rebuilt my content xml file and scenery indices folder. Still cannot see any. All my AI settings are also at 100 and I can see the two Orca folders and the Orca spb file amongst the Rothera folders and files.  

12 hours ago, FlyerX said:

Thanks. However, I've now flown that line and still can't see any of them. Could something be inhibiting that animation on my system? I have disabled all my other addons and I have also rebuilt my content xml file and scenery indices folder. Still cannot see any. All my AI settings are also at 100 and I can see the two Orca folders and the Orca spb file amongst the Rothera folders and files.  

Can you see the research icebreaker? It's the same object type.

Bests,

Sascha

Ok, can confirm now that they are really hard to spot. You will see some faint shapes from a distance if there are no high waves - but the Orcas themselves only become visible when you are really, really close.

Obviously MSFS changed something about visibility rules for these object types, and also how they behave because they are running in funny curves along he line (which doesn't look unnatural, which is a good thing). But I will definitely make a note on visibility to see if it can be improved with the next update.

Bests,

Sascha

Ok, thanks Sascha. I can see the moving Polarstern vessel (even from a very long way off) and have set my waves to low but still cannot see any Orcas. I even tried waiting on the line for a whole cycle of the moving dinghy but still saw no orcas. Guess I will have to wait for the improved visibility update. Any ETA for that yet? Best, Robert.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:14 PM, FlyerX said:

Ok, thanks Sascha. I can see the moving Polarstern vessel (even from a very long way off) and have set my waves to low but still cannot see any Orcas. I even tried waiting on the line for a whole cycle of the moving dinghy but still saw no orcas. Guess I will have to wait for the improved visibility update. Any ETA for that yet? Best, Robert.

They are there. Just follow the line from the start and once you see the shapes, get closer.

I'm currently waiting for reply from Asobo/MS regarding another animations/LODs related problem with MSFS that I want to solve in the same go. I will let you know once I know more.

Bests,

Sascha

Archived