CRJ not catching the Localizer

I've observed over the past 3 flights this week, the CRJ is not catching the Localizer.

My flight to test 2x has been landing at KCLT, 36R, CHSLY4.

I verify that 108.9 is tuned in NAV on the Radio page (generally I leave it on auto, and it tunes automatically).

The past 2 times, I have self-vectored from EPAYE to HEKAM, once I turn from base to final, I arm APPR.

Once I arm the APPR, I see that LOC and G/S are on the PFD in white. At no point do they change to green.

When I change the Mode (maybe not the right term) from FMS to LOC, I notice that no distance to the DME is provided.
I have made it to CIKDU at 2500ft with no radar fix.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or possibly what has changed but I can't see to sort this one out.

After testing several flights, unsuccessfully, I found that my AIRAC data was out of date.

I updated this data, and while it may be coincidental, this issue seems to be resolved.

vor 11 Stunden , Alvaro Neves sagte:

Verify if the sim have those runways. On UMMS with simbrief planner i have to try landing for 3 times with no success on 13L and after that i saw that the the sim don´t have this runway. 

I can confirm that sim has these ILS runways. Big airports as EDDF and EDDM. Works fine with A320neo and Cessna Longitude but not with CRJ

I experienced this a few days ago as well. I was given an instruction like "Turn right heading 180 and maintain 3000 until established on the localizer, cleared ILS 22R approach". I hit the APPR button at that point, but the ILS was not yet showing as in range. It did come up pretty shortly after that, but it went right through it. I haven't tried to reproduce this yet, but I think there may be a bug if you activate APPR before the frequency is in range. Or it could be a coincidence -- I think it's unlikely that this is the same scenario that the others were seeing.

with the latest AIRAC data 2110 it seems to be better, at least 3 flights in a row the LOC and GS was catched and followed to a proper landing. According to the Navigraph release info they have increased the width of the ILS beam.
Will do more flights on different airports to check further 

• 2 weeks later...

Following on with this feed - I too can confirm that there is an issue with the CRJ autoland / LOC / GS function.

When intercepting a slope with the approach mode activated - the plane simply continues on whatever course it is on and doesn't follow the localiser / glide slope. However, on the PFD it is changing from a flashing LOC to solid - then changes back to flashing when it 'misses' the localiser. 

• I have the CRJ properly set up for landing 
  • I have tried a number of different scenarios and approaches at different heights etc.
  • I have tried at Portland, Munich and Bristol airports
  • Running the latest MSFS update and CRJ update
  • Running the latest Navigraph update

I have tried to reinstall the CRJ through Aerosoft one to no avail.

Also, as a comparison to ensure it wasn't a scenery issue, I tried the same approaches with the FBW A320 which seemed to work ok.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Christopher Jones said:

Following on with this feed - I too can confirm that there is an issue with the CRJ autoland / LOC / GS function.

When intercepting a slope with the approach mode activated - the plane simply continues on whatever course it is on and doesn't follow the localiser / glide slope. However, on the PFD it is changing from a flashing LOC to solid - then changes back to flashing when it 'misses' the localiser. 

• I have the CRJ properly set up for landing 
  • I have tried a number of different scenarios and approaches at different heights etc.
  • I have tried at Portland, Munich and Bristol airports
  • Running the latest MSFS update and CRJ update
  • Running the latest Navigraph update

I have tried to reinstall the CRJ through Aerosoft one to no avail.

Also, as a comparison to ensure it wasn't a scenery issue, I tried the same approaches with the FBW A320 which seemed to work ok.

Thanks

You have no idea how happy you made me. I have tried reinstalling literally dozens of times, going through all the tiny little appdata files for both aerosoft and navigraph, and beginning to doubt that I, as a 1,000 hour professional pilot, do not know the basics of an ILS approach. Finally after hours and hours of combing through the internet I've found someone else in the world who has the same issue as me. To make it even worse, my friend with the CRJ 700 who I'm teaching has no issue at all doing the exact same things as I do. 

• Aerosoft

I can'[t explain that. I have been flying three approaches today and checked out many on Vatsim.  What you (and four others) report simply did not happen to me or the Vatsim pilots (I asked). So there has to be another factor  Also with many tens of thousands copies sold I would expect hundreds of comments of the aircraft would not be able to intercept an ILS.  And we simply do not see those. If you make a video we can check out we might be able to see what's happening. 

update..... just did another flawless approach.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:20 AM, Aplato said:

I experienced this a few days ago as well. I was given an instruction like "Turn right heading 180 and maintain 3000 until established on the localizer, cleared ILS 22R approach". I hit the APPR button at that point, but the ILS was not yet showing as in range. It did come up pretty shortly after that, but it went right through it. I haven't tried to reproduce this yet, but I think there may be a bug if you activate APPR before the frequency is in range. Or it could be a coincidence -- I think it's unlikely that this is the same scenario that the others were seeing.

If you hit the APPR button before the localizer is in range, you will blow right by it because it is not engaged.  It cannot engage if no localizer signal is received.  If in FMS mode wait to see the blue needles displayed. Make sure the green light is on the approach button when it is selected.  If you press it and it is not on then either the LOC is not in range yet or wrong ILS freq is tuned.  

24 minutes ago, Christopher Jones said:

I have attached a video showing what is going on

I am going to try following the tutorial from the manual exactly to see if I get the same problem

Please login to view this video.

What airport/runway was this at?  I can't make out the info from the Nav display and want to try it.

1 minute ago, Crabby said:

If you hit the APPR button before the localizer is in range, you will blow right by it because it is not engaged.  It cannot engage if no localizer signal is received.  If in FMS mode wait to see the blue needles displayed. Make sure the green light is on the approach button when it is selected.  If you press it and it is not on then either the LOC is not in range yet or wrong ILS freq is tuned.  

I've only had it happen the one time -- for the most part the localizer and glide slope work fine for me -- but I'll have to check that scenario again. I'm quite certain APPR showed it was enabled but it's possible that's not actually the case when it's activated while LOC is flashing (not in range).

Tried it on a fresh reinstall of MSFS with just the CRJ and had the same issue.

Also with the engagement of APPR - I hit it just prior to the glide slope being caught - time doesn't seem to matter.

That video was for Munich 26R using the SIMWINGS Munich scenery - but had the same issue at Paris CDG too

Just going to try a quick flight now between Bristol and Cardiff to see the results - will report soon

Thanks

So been doing some more testing and I think I have solved it

• Engage App mode as you line up via NAV mode rather then asking the plane to capture and turn (like other planes)
  • GS still getting used to with speed and flaps etc.
  • I think there is a problem with Munich SIMWINGS specifically as the ILS appeared out

7 hours ago, Crabby said:

Just to follow up on this, tonight I flew the ILS 22R Z approach into KDTW starting at IAF INKSR. I armed APPR at INKSR, which is before the localizer was in range, and it eventually picked it up and followed both that and the glide slope properly. Granted this is somewhat different from my earlier scenario as I was intercepting it straight on following the approach plate rather than being vectored to intercept at an angle, but it seems it is not correct that you can't arm APPR before the localizer is in range. I'm still not sure what happened that one time in Boston -- it's possible that it only happens with an angled intercept, maybe it was a fluke, or maybe it was prior to the Navigraph update that changed/fixed the localizer ranges, but I don't think my earlier theory is correct.

Please login to display this image.

On 15.10.2021 at 15:01, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Make sure you use a recent version of Navigraph

Sorry but do you suggest I subscribe to Navigraph? I would and still do expect that the CRJ works with MSFS without such subscription, i.e. with the MSFS internal navdata which is update occasionally by MS/Asobo anyway?

15 hours ago, LH4371 said:

Sorry but do you suggest I subscribe to Navigraph? I would and still do expect that the CRJ works with MSFS without such subscription, i.e. with the MSFS internal navdata which is update occasionally by MS/Asobo anyway?

No, jeez...Mathijs is CLEARLY suggesting that IF...IF..IFFFFFFF you have a subscription to Navigraph, make sure that the subscription YOU ALREADY HAVE CHOSEN TO PURCHASE AND USE, is up to date.  

Now I will tell you why you SHOULD subscribe.

As you pointed out the MSFS navdata is updated OCCASIONALLY my Asobo, not every cycle.  As you may not know, Navigraph not only provides FMS related navdata, but also navdata for the simulator itself replacing the often out of date data.  

However the choice is yours and yours alone. 

Archived